Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES
(10-03-2018, 07:03 PM)Fry Guy Wrote:
(10-03-2018, 01:18 PM)Duchess Wrote: I need to remind you, again, that Gorsuch got through with no problem.

This means NOTHING. NOTHING at all. Roberts was a swinging voter. Scalia was hardline. Gorsuch and Kavanaugh are both considered hardliners by Liberals/Democrats. So no point made, at all.

That's not correct.

Chief Justice Roberts is not leaving the Supreme Court.   

Kavanaugh has been nominated to fill the seat of retired Reagan-appointed Justice Kennedy.  And, I can't picture Anthony Kennedy being a swinger (perhaps because I'd just rather not).

Kennedy typically ruled in line with the other conservative judges.  However, he did agree and vote with the liberal judges on social issues, like gay rights, more than the other current Justices.  

So, he was labeled the 'swing vote' on the Supreme Court, a term he hated because he said he simply voted on the merits of the case rather than partisan bias/loyalty.

All Supreme Court Justices promise under oath to render objective decisions based on the case facts rather than partisan or ideological bias/loyalty.   Kavanaugh promised to do the same during his nomination hearings.

Messages In This Thread
RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - by HairOfTheDog - 10-03-2018, 10:34 PM