Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES
Anyway, I think it's a real long shot that the Democrats will take the Senate this year, but I hope it happens.

When attempting to justify obstructing the process regarding Obama's Supreme Court Justice pick, McConnell claimed it was tradition dating back to the 1880s not to consider Justice nominations in election years. That was a lie.

While Justices rarely choose to leave the court in presidential election years, Supreme Court seats have been vacated during such times. And, several Supreme Court Justices have been nominated and/or confirmed in presidential election years. It's documented history.

Later, McConnell invoked the "Biden Rule". That too was bullshit. Thirty years ago Biden made a speech on the floor about how attempting to confirm a Justice as a Presidential race was nearing its conclusion might not be practical. There was never a rule. And even if the imaginary Biden Rule was real, Obama nominated Merrick Garland with 11 months left in his term and a full eight months before election day, so it wouldn't have applied.

Yesterday, when asked if he would refuse to confirm a Trump-nominated Supreme Court Justice in 2020 if the opportunity arose...................McConnell, predictably, did not reference the 'long-standing tradition' or the 'Biden Rule' bullshit at all. Instead, he said refusing to consider nominations in election years only applies when the Senate majority party isn't the President's party (even though it's been done several times in our history).

Revisionist history, straight-up lies, and changing the Constitutional rules as he goes along. Man, I'd love to see McConnell lose the Senate majority this year.

Messages In This Thread
RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - by HairOfTheDog - 10-09-2018, 10:42 AM