Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES
It was smart of Chief Justice Roberts to address the lingering suspicion that the Supreme Court is being politicized and becoming partisan so quickly after Kavanaugh's confirmation, in my opinion.

For the good of the country for a least a generation, I hope Roberts' words hold true.

[Image: im-31342?width=620&aspect_ratio=1.5]

^ Chief Justice John Roberts told the audience at the University of Minnesota Law School yesterday that "the Supreme Court does not serve one party or one interest, we serve one nation."

"I will not criticize the political branches. We do that often enough in our opinions," he said, quickly adding he would speak about how "the judicial branch is, how it must be, very different. We do not speak for the people, but we speak for the Constitution."

Roberts' intent: to assure the audience, and the American people, that the court can set aside the fierce partisan fight over the court's composition with five conservative justices and four liberal justices.

"Our role is very clear: We are to interpret the Constitution and laws of the United States, and to ensure that the political branches act within them," he said. "That job obviously requires independence from the political branches. The story of the Supreme Court would be very different without that sort of independence."

Full story:  https://www.npr.org/2018/10/17/658028262...one-nation

Messages In This Thread
RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - by HairOfTheDog - 10-17-2018, 02:08 PM