Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Words and Names
How important are words? Is too much attention being put on words and not enough attention on actions? Are words actions? Using the wrong word could be an action, can using the right word be an action?

When somebody requests that I refer to them as "they" because they do not identify as he or she or her or him, how much do I change what I learned in school in another era to what the current generation is requesting?
A friend of mine goes to a job interview at a school and they are asked to put a name tag on with the pronouns they identify with.
Is it progress or walking on eggshells?
Are there too many demands made upon a person to please?
Have some been oppressed because of the language?
Do I get to tell everyone how to address me?
Where is there a safe place to talk about these things?

Answer some of these or answer none of these, but please add to the conversation about how these issues have been present in your life or not present at all and this is the first you are hearing about it.
The current generation can go fuck themselves. Bunch of winey pansy assed pussies.

How's that? I really don't care what others think of me and I've never been shy about it, so "they" can just kiss my testicles.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I think Americans have become too sensitive over the last couple of 'me' generations.

It's my belief that words matter, but thinking and intent matter more. Sometimes, the people who are most offended by word choices, where there is no offensive intent behind those words, are the least tolerant and most self-centered (though they often position themselves as the defenders of tolerance and diversity without seeing the hypocrisy).

That's not to say there aren't plenty of bigoted and backwards thinking assholes spewing crap that is understandably offensive to some; just that there are probably as many or more people who are itching to be offended on behalf of themselves or for 'the greater good'.

I've witnessed some unbelievably stupid and hyper self-righteous reactions to word choices and differences of opinions on college campuses recently. 'You disagree with me and I'm black, you must be a racist.' 'You're a professor who doesn't believe in banning certain types of freedom of speech, you need to be fired for not creating a comfortable enough campus experience!" It's idiotic, to me.

But, I think just about every place is a still a safe place to speak freely in this country if you're not looking to provoke violence and you're not among the overly sensitive who wilts if someone tosses shit back at you.
Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) is hands-down my favorite tv show. He's way left of me on climate change and way right of me on Islam.

But, I think he's very smart and funny. Listening to his panel of guests from all sides discuss recent events and politics is always interesting and entertaining to me.

Anyway, Maher has a real bone to pick with the word police and has for years. I just watched Friday night's episode and Love Child's OP relates well to one of his segments denouncing the 'self esteem movement", which I thought was spot on.

(03-20-2016, 04:44 PM)Love Child Wrote: How important are words? Is too much attention being put on words and not enough attention on actions? Are words actions? Using the wrong word could be an action, can using the right word be an action?

When somebody requests that I refer to them as "they" because they do not identify as he or she or her or him, how much do I change what I learned in school in another era to what the current generation is requesting?
A friend of mine goes to a job interview at a school and they are asked to put a name tag on with the pronouns they identify with.
Is it progress or walking on eggshells?
Are there too many demands made upon a person to please?
Have some been oppressed because of the language?
Do I get to tell everyone how to address me?
Where is there a safe place to talk about these things?

Answer some of these or answer none of these, but please add to the conversation about how these issues have been present in your life or not present at all and this is the first you are hearing about it.

The average, well adjusted person does not need to be told how to speak. These are not people who go out into the world and deliberately try to hurt or offend others with words.

When someone tells you to refer to them as they because they don't identify with either sex, run, run in the opposite direction because that is not a person who has their shit together, I'd even go so far as to view them as unstable.

It is not progress to have to wear a tag printed with pronouns you identify with. Awhile ago I read about a Professor who was given a list of trigger words that he was told not to use with his students. Trigger words? It's bullshit in the same manner as pronouns that one identifies with. I am completely against coddling young people. How the hell are they going to learn about dealing with life in the real world? Seriously.

Again, normal, well adjusted people don't need to be told how to address others. Most people are well mannered and respectful when meeting others.

I love the written word and think words can be powerful. We use them to express ourselves. We can use them to bait, taunt and insult and we can use them to say I love you.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(03-20-2016, 06:06 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I think Americans have become too sensitive over the last couple of 'me' generations.

It's my belief that words matter, but thinking and intent matter more. Sometimes, the people who are most offended by word choices, where there is no offensive intent behind those words, are the least tolerant and most self-centered (though they often position themselves as the defenders of tolerance and diversity without seeing the hypocrisy).

That's not to say there aren't plenty of bigoted and backwards thinking assholes spewing crap that is understandably offensive to some; just that there are probably as many or more people who are itching to be offended on behalf of themselves or for 'the greater good'.

I've witnessed some unbelievably stupid and hyper self-righteous reactions to word choices and differences of opinions on college campuses recently. 'You disagree with me and I'm black, you must be a racist.' 'You're a professor who doesn't believe in banning certain types of freedom of speech, you need to be fired for not creating a comfortable enough campus experience!" It's idiotic, to me.

But, I think just about every place is a still a safe place to speak freely in this country if you're not looking to provoke violence and you're not among the overly sensitive who wilts if someone tosses shit back at you.
Agree 100%
Words are power, and just like people some words have considerably more power than others. Language, written and spoken, are what separates us from lower species. Not tools, not opposable thumbs, but the ability to accurately convey information and meaning across time and space. We are nothing without language, and we are as individuals ONLY as strong as our command of the language. If anyone doubts the veracity of the above, there are a few simple experiments one may try.
1. Go into a neighborhood where no one speaks english, or failing that turn on a foreign language radio or tv station and only listen to it all day. And try to gather any sort of meaning from what is said. Hell, if you are feeling brave, press "2" the next time your phone prompts you to continue in Spanish.
2. Go to an airport and tell a bomb joke.
3. Go to a theater and yell "fire".
4. On your next job interview/ staff meeting with the boss, work the word "motherfucker" into the conversation as many times as possible.
5. Tell any random stranger or platonic acquaintance how much you love them.
6. In any situation you choose, speak fondly of child abuse or incest.

Words have power.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
Thank you Capt. Obvious. Oh ..........just a name.
Words are like weapons they wound sometimes.

(If I could turn back time)
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

What if your name is Thomas and people call you Tom, do you get angry? Do you correct people when they get your name wrong?
(03-22-2016, 12:13 AM)Love Child Wrote: What if your name is Thomas and people call you Tom, do you get angry? Do you correct people when they get your name wrong?

I don't much like it when people fuck with my name and I will correct someone but I don't get mad. Maggot is the biggest offender.
Where's my trophy? I hope its big and gaudy.
(03-22-2016, 12:13 AM)Love Child Wrote: What if your name is Thomas and people call you Tom, do you get angry? Do you correct people when they get your name wrong?

Tom from Thomas is not too bad,

Unrelated names people are called are like: Peggy for Margaret, Dick for Richard, Bobby for Robert, Lizzy for Elizabeth, to name a few.
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

(03-22-2016, 06:11 AM)Maggot Wrote: Where's my trophy? I hope its big and gaudy.

[Image: Copy%20of%20BZ2A9548.jpg]
(03-21-2016, 07:45 PM)Maggot Wrote: Thank you Capt. Obvious. Oh ..........just a name.
One would think it was obvious, and yet in places like this, where entire personalities are built and remembered from written text alone...people like to pretend their words don't matter.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.

Maggottyboo, do you know that's a bong? I felt the need to ask?
(03-22-2016, 12:42 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Maggottyboo, do you know that's a bong? I felt the need to ask?

The first thing I noticed was the tits ............the second thing was the tits. I can just imagine my Father in law commenting on what a nice air cleaner it was.

Why did I use a question mark there? Jesus.

(03-22-2016, 11:33 AM)Donovan Wrote:
(03-21-2016, 07:45 PM)Maggot Wrote: Thank you Capt. Obvious. Oh ..........just a name.
One would think it was obvious, and yet in places like this, where entire personalities are built and remembered from written text alone...people like to pretend their words don't matter.

Words matter, of course, especially when you're communicating with people who can't see your facial expressions and body language.

The words that don't matter or hold any power for me are the ones tossed out to retaliate for an ego bruise over a difference of opinion, or a silly mock, or something like that -- especially on a forum where people are free to express themselves however they're so inclined, with no filter.

For me, some words matter, some don't -- depends on the intent and sometimes the source. I respect people who own their words, or aren't afraid to sincerely retract them, more than those who won't or can't. But, all of it is fun for me in its own way at Mock, even when the topics are serious and some of the words posted have the power to influence my thinking.
(03-22-2016, 07:33 AM)Carsman Wrote: Unrelated names people are called are like: Peggy for Margaret, Dick for Richard, Bobby for Robert, Lizzy for Elizabeth, to name a few.

Actually I think you are mistaken, thousands of people over the years have told me "dick" is the shortened way to say Donovan. Sure, some of them may have been lying...but not mom.