Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
How would you react to this?
Actually, if this happened to you, what do you think your first reaction would be without taking a moment to think about it.

This happened in my hometown yesterday.
My son and his g/f were headed to WalMart after the Easter festivities and they saw a "homeless" man on the corner. They turned around and went back home and made him a plate of leftovers to take back to the guy. He didn't get out of the car, he stopped and put it out the window and told him happy Easter. The guy slaps the plate out of his hand and says he doesn't want his shitty food. It landed on the ground but they had press and seal on it so it didn't come open and the food was still on the plate. He's ready to rip the guy to shreds, but the kids were in the car and the g/f is telling him to hold his shit together. He's out of the car asking the guy what his problem is...the guy said he thought he was a young punk and that he probably put something in the food.
My son picks up the plate and takes the wrap off, he tells the guy he's going to apologize to his kids for being an ass or he's gonna kick his ass. He says fuck you to my son and then the guy proceeded to eat the food. Not willingly, but by force as my son shoved the plate in his face. He told him if he ever seen him around town again and he was alone, he's gonna beat his ass.

He put it on FB and all kinds of people are commenting about this guy. He drives a decent car, he's not homeless and he's been a dick to other people who have tried to give him help, other than money.

I can't say if my son handled it right or not. I know my son and I know it took all he had and more not to beat him half to death so I'm not sure a plate of food to the face was such a bad thing, other than the kids saw it. If it wasn't for the g/f and kids in the car he would probably be facing assault charges.

I've never given to panhandlers. I think 95% of them are cons and I don't have the time to sit at a stoplight and figure out if it might actually be someone in dire needs. I guess I listen to my gut and it's never spoke to me yet concerning panhandlers.
(03-28-2016, 02:59 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote: Actually, if this happened to you, what do you think your first reaction would be without taking a moment to think about it.

My very first thought upon reading it was how much your son sounded liked someone I'm very close to and I frequently tell him to just walk the hell away. Don't even take the time to express yourself because you just don't know what people will do these days. They pull guns and shoot without a second thought. So, that was my first thought, I'd be mad he didn't just walk away, I'd be mad he took such a risk.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Did the homeless guy solicit them?

If not, if he was just standing/sitting there with a sign of some sort, then, while your sons gesture was very noble, I'd say he overreacted.

I'd rather see a video of the incident however, in order to get a real feel for how it unfolded.
Your son and I have a lot in common, only I never would have offered food in the first place. When the panhandlers approach me in the parking lot I take my glasses off, look them in the eye and tell them to get the fuck away from me. If they don't turn tail right away I clench my fists and approach them aggressively. Usually does the trick.
(03-28-2016, 03:28 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Did the homeless guy solicit them?

If not, if he was just standing/sitting there with a sign of some sort, then, while your sons gesture was very noble, I'd say he overreacted.

I'd rather see a video of the incident however, in order to get a real feel for how it unfolded.

If the guy is sitting there with a sign, then he is soliciting.

It was very nice of your son to go home and get the guy a plate of food. But like Duchess said, he should have just walked away when the guy was an ass. Your son had a right to be pissed but that homeless guy could have been dangerous. Plus, it doesn't set an example for the kids. He could have said to the kids see we tried to do something nice but this man was not appreciative. Focus on the kind act of offering food to someone in need. Not the asshole that doesn't know how to be grateful.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
Ramsey, I just went back and looked, and as I suspected, nowhere in FQ2's story does it say the guy is holding a sign, or verbally asked her son for anything.

I'm guessing they spotted him, and just decided to do something for him.

FQ can let us know.
(03-28-2016, 04:30 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Ramsey, I just went back and looked, and as I suspected, nowhere in FQ2's story does it say the guy is holding a sign, or verbally asked her son for anything.

FQ can let us know.
Weren't you the one that said "if he was standing/sitting there with a sign of some sort..." Her son overreacted?
(03-28-2016, 04:30 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Ramsey, I just went back and looked, and as I suspected, nowhere in FQ2's story does it say the guy is holding a sign, or verbally asked her son for anything.

FQ can let us know.

I was responding to MS and him saying "if he was sitting there with a sign..."
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
(03-28-2016, 04:42 PM)ramseycat Wrote:

FQ can let us know.

I was responding to MS and him saying "if he was sitting there with a sign..."
I thought so. hah
I don't give to panhandlers so I'm no help. I may have made a big to do about what I did not want the kids to become in front of the guy and belittled him so he would take a swing at me then clobbered him. Generally they're not worth it in the scheme of things.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(03-28-2016, 04:41 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote:

FQ can let us know.
Weren't you the one that said "if he was standing/sitting there with a sign of some sort..." Her son overreacted?

I don't know if he had a sign.

I'd like a clarification.

Maybe it was assumed he had a sign because FQ2 referred to him as a panhandler. Justa guess.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I read 'a homeless guy'.

Is he sitting alone minding his business, or is he walking up to people and soliciting?

To me, there's a difference.

Either way, FQ's sons gesture was very kind and he certainly didn't deserve what happened.

I wouldn't condone beating the crap out of him in either case though.

Especially not in front of his kids.
(03-28-2016, 03:16 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(03-28-2016, 02:59 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote: Actually, if this happened to you, what do you think your first reaction would be without taking a moment to think about it.

My very first thought upon reading it was how much your son sounded liked someone I'm very close to and I frequently tell him to just walk the hell away. Don't even take the time to express yourself because you just don't know what people will do these days. They pull guns and shoot without a second thought. So, that was my first thought, I'd be mad he didn't just walk away, I'd be mad he took such a risk.

I told him he should have drove away and let it go, but he wasn't hearing any of that. I think it's a lot easier for a woman to do that than a man. I said he should feel good about trying to help someone and sometimes your going to come across someone like this douchebag that won't appreciate it. Then I changed the subject because I didn't want to hear anymore about it.

Of course he was soliciting them, that's what panhandlers do. They were stuck at the stoplight. He walked off the curb and was walking up and down the row of cars. That's what they do around here.
My deal is that the kids were in the car.
He needed to set a better example for them. I guess after he calmed down later, he had a talk with them and told him he handled it the wrong way. Then he told me if the kids weren't in the car, he wouldn't have thought twice about kicking his ass, he just would have done it. Someone might bust a cap in his ass someday...or his head.
(03-28-2016, 05:54 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote:

Of course he was soliciting them, that's what panhandlers do. They were stuck at the stoplight. He walked off the curb and was walking up and down the row of cars. That's what they do around here.
It's what they do everywhere. Gone are the days when someone on the street actually needed help. Most of these folks nowadays are making a tidy profit.
I wouldn't have done that in the first place unless the guy came up to me and asked if I could buy him something to eat because he's starving.

I think your son overreacted. It's like coming across a badger and trying to feed it because you feel sorry for it and think you're doing a good deed and then becoming irate when it attacks you. What did you expect, the guy obviously has a few screws loose or he wouldn't be out there in the first place.
My philosophy is don't do good deeds if you're expecting anyone to be grateful because chances are you'll get shit on in some form or another. So either do it and forget about it or don't do it at all.

I'm not applying that to just homeless people, but friends, family and anyone in general.
Guy deserved a ass kicking.
Beer drinking, gun toting, Bike riding,
womanizing, sex fiend, sexist, asshole !
Don't like it? Well than F.U !!!!!!!!!