Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alone
Anybody ever watch this show? I think it's History Channel, and it's into the second season now. Basic premise, a dozen or so people are taken to remote Vancouver Washington, middle of bear country, in October, with a handful of supplies and selfie-camera equipment. And left there alone. Last man or woman standing gets the prize. No help, no alliances, no immunity challenges, just "see how long you can make it alone." I love it because they tend to focus a LOT on the personal stories of the players, and you get to watch the pretend-tough guys crumble like little school children the first time a bear comes ambling through their campsite. LOL. It also can turn on a dime because these people get hungry, tired and stupid REAL fast, and nature is an unforgiving bitch to the foolish and prideful.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.

I think I could do it for a little while.

A lot of people are afraid in the wilderness, they don't know what to do. Not saying I'm great at it but I'm a lot more comfortable in the wilderness than I am in an urban setting. I wouldn't think twice about walking through my woods in the dark but I would if it were a city street. I couldn't kill an animal and eat it though so that would screw me.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I am confused by the "Remote Vancouver Washington"
I don't remember Vancouver having remote areas.

I haven't seen this show. I did enjoy the Naked and Afraid show.

I also feel comfortable in the wilderness, as long as I have the right equipment and am not cold. I hate being cold.
That sounds like torture. It's all fun and games until someone gets killed. It's a Here Comes Honey Boo Boo waiting to happen.
This woman was chopping little bits of firewood using an axe and steadying it with her hand which is stupid under any circumstances, and right as I was thinking that very thought, WHAMMO she slips and damn near chops her thumb off. I think I yelled out loud, you could see the pain this girl was in, and because they're in the middle of nowhere it takes a good minute for the rescue boat guys to get there. All the participants have a panic button thing they can use to call for help or to tap out.

@Lovechild they're on Vancouver Island separated by about four or five miles each. It's been decades since I was up there but isn't there a bunch of undeveloped land and a wildlife refuge?
Here's a clip of the location:

@Aussie the kick is that every one of them is a self-described expert at primitive skills. In the two seasons I have been watching there has really been no puff people or eye candy like you'd see on Survivor or similar. And some of them are interesting as hell as they adapt to their surroundings, I've said this before, I spent the better part of a year parked next to a river in the wilderness basically surviving on the land, nowhere near that isolated and not alone, but one thing I do know is you let nature dictate the rhythms of the daily routine. Every person who gets run out of the woods tail between legs is one who goes in thinking they got mother nature beat. I think the prize is something like a half million, but most of them just seem to be in it for the rush. Adventure junkies.

@Duchess the urban commandos are the funniest because there's always a couple who start by saying "I'm military trained" or law enforcement or somesuch, and they're the first ones to shit themselves when an owl hoots too close to camp the first night. LOL hard niggas don't like no bears and eating slugs.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
(05-14-2016, 02:52 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I think I could do it for a little while.

A lot of people are afraid in the wilderness, they don't know what to do. Not saying I'm great at it but I'm a lot more comfortable in the wilderness than I am in an urban setting. I wouldn't think twice about walking through my woods in the dark but I would if it were a city street. I couldn't kill an animal and eat it though so that would screw me.

The hippie people seem to do much better as a rule, the ones who adapt, especially the vegetarians who know how and what to eat. Game isn't as easy to kill as it looks, and aside from fish and the occasional mouse there isn't much successful hunting going on. Mostly because a bunch of them get all fancy the first day and burn up their energy building elaborate shelter before they've sorted the food and water situation. Huge mistake.
Vancouver Island is part of Canada. Gonna have to get my extended drivers license and go up there!

Okay, I was able to watch the video, Yay! Not always possible to do that up here. I would love to watch this show.

After hearing the guy talk and seeing "Quatsino First Nation" under his name I had to wonder if the show was like this, "Native drops white people off in the wilderness for entertainment"
Smiley_emoticons_biggrin
(05-14-2016, 02:28 PM)Donovan Wrote: Anybody ever watch this show? I think it's History Channel, and it's into the second season now. Basic premise, a dozen or so people are taken to remote Vancouver Washington, middle of bear country, in October, with a handful of supplies and selfie-camera equipment. And left there alone. Last man or woman standing gets the prize. No help, no alliances, no immunity challenges, just "see how long you can make it alone." I love it because they tend to focus a LOT on the personal stories of the players, and you get to watch the pretend-tough guys crumble like little school children the first time a bear comes ambling through their campsite. LOL. It also can turn on a dime because these people get hungry, tired and stupid REAL fast, and nature is an unforgiving bitch to the foolish and prideful.

OMG I am laughing my ass off right now. Was able to find season 2 and this guy starts talking about a slug crawling across his face in the middle of the night. That isn't the funny part, the funny part is he shared that he was dreaming his woman was kissing him. Oh man. I can't stop laughing right now.
I'm sticking with Horatio and his sunglasses "get that bagged and down to the lab for epithelial"

I think the first thing you have to do is find a water source and then shelter. A person can go for awhile without food but not without water.
It reminds me of the first time I watched Real World on MTV thinking there was going to be a point, a reason, like we were going to all evolve and learn something about ourselves, only to find nothing. Puck was still a schmuck. So no, what's the point? Stupid.
(05-16-2016, 07:26 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: what's the point?

To be the last man standing and win $500,000.00
Yeh but that's still stupid. Money is the motivator. Seems ridiculous to me. You could make that million or billion I still wouldn't see the point.
(05-16-2016, 02:53 AM)Love Child Wrote:
(05-14-2016, 02:28 PM)Donovan Wrote: Anybody ever watch this show? I think it's History Channel, and it's into the second season now. Basic premise, a dozen or so people are taken to remote Vancouver Washington, middle of bear country, in October, with a handful of supplies and selfie-camera equipment. And left there alone. Last man or woman standing gets the prize. No help, no alliances, no immunity challenges, just "see how long you can make it alone." I love it because they tend to focus a LOT on the personal stories of the players, and you get to watch the pretend-tough guys crumble like little school children the first time a bear comes ambling through their campsite. LOL. It also can turn on a dime because these people get hungry, tired and stupid REAL fast, and nature is an unforgiving bitch to the foolish and prideful.

OMG I am laughing my ass off right now. Was able to find season 2 and this guy starts talking about a slug crawling across his face in the middle of the night. That isn't the funny part, the funny part is he shared that he was dreaming his woman was kissing him. Oh man. I can't stop laughing right now.
That made me lol too. I totally could see it happening. Did you see the lady chop herself? Ahhhhhh!!
(05-16-2016, 02:53 AM)Love Child Wrote:

That made me lol too. I totally could see it happening. Did you see the lady chop herself? Ahhhhhh!!
Yes.
I understand how a stupid mistake like that can happen. One of the guys was setting up some kindling in the same way as she was. She missed it.
I like that Mike guy making his shelter super awesome. There was some other funny stuff too.
If you can find season one it's really good, and very surprising who makes it the furthest. Lot of funny stuff too. And one guy literally built a whole damn campground for himself, he was comfortable as hell. Had a canoe, a yert, a frigging guitar...

The dude that ate the clams and almost shit himself to death made me a believer.