Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
RIP HARAMBE :(
I do have a STRANGE sense of humor and I really don't think any of the family members would ever walk in our shop in the middle of nowhere Iowa. They might however see a pic of it after I took a pic and posted it on the web.
Beer drinking, gun toting, Bike riding,
womanizing, sex fiend, sexist, asshole !
Don't like it? Well than F.U !!!!!!!!!
Put mickey mouse in there.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Oh My God, That's even better that a baby doll !!!!!!!!
I read conflicting stories so I don't know if the kid was wading in the water or if he was playing in the sand next to the water. If he was in fact in the water then it is somewhat of the parents fault. The first thing I would take from the "no swimming" signs is that there could be bacteria in the water, so my kid wouldn't be in the water and especially at night when you can't see anything.

No one expects a gator to come out of nowhere on a man made beach at Disney World, but still, there are all other kinds of reasons why you wouldn't want your kid playing in murky water and especially at night.
Did anyone else see the cartoon of two gorillas talking and one said Bru, think they will kill the gator? I seen it but cant find it to post it right now.

I've never seen the humor in a child being killed violently but hey, that's just me. 78
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(06-20-2016, 11:32 AM)Duchess Wrote:

I've never seen the humor in a child being killed violently but hey, that's just me. 78

I know I have a twisted sense of humor. Death is no different to me. Hell when my brother shot himself in the chest and blew his heart out his back, my sick self said, Well that's pretty heartless. Then at his celebration of life we took the jet skis out on the Mississippi and because I was the oldest sibling and only brother I got to have the first ride. So the twisted fucker I am came back from the ride, ran the runner up on the shore and flipped off it right before it ran ashore and did the dead mans float, right there in front of everyone. It did break the ice and people lightened up after that tho.
(06-20-2016, 11:21 AM)sally Wrote: I read conflicting stories so I don't know if the kid was wading in the water or if he was playing in the sand next to the water. If he was in fact in the water then it is somewhat of the parents fault. The first thing I would take from the "no swimming" signs is that there could be bacteria in the water, so my kid wouldn't be in the water and especially at night when you can't see anything.

No one expects a gator to come out of nowhere on a man made beach at Disney World, but still, there are all other kinds of reasons why you wouldn't want your kid playing in murky water and especially at night.

I understood that he was playing on the shoreline and wading in the water near the sand. The sign said no swimming and said there was a steep drop in the water.

I wouldn't have thought about bacteria or alligators under the circumstances and probably wouldn't have been concerned about my kid getting his feet wet while I was watching him from very nearby.

Anyway, you can't put up a warning sign against every possible circumstance, obviously. But, the alligator warning seems like a no-brainer if guest safety is a top priority, in my opinion. Other resorts with similar lagoons near the Grand Floridian had alligator warning signs. I don't blame Lane's parents at all. If Lane had been wading near the shoreline at a resort with the alligator warning sign, then I'd think the parents were partially to blame.
I would take the no swimming sign to mean not to go in the water. Period. The water I've seen there doesn't look nice and I wouldn't want my kid in it. I don't expect everyone to think about the kind of stuff I think about though and had there been Alligator warning signs then I'm sure they wouldn't have allowed the kid to wade in it. So I do 100% agree Disney is liable since they had prior knowledge and the gator could have got him even if he wasn't in the water. But I still think the kid shouldn't have been playing in the murky water at night.
I've only ben to Florida a couple times with my family. We all know [the family] there are Gators, Crocks and Sharks in those waters, but I was the only one that was smart enough to stay out of the water. My Ol and kids just HaaaaaaaaD to get wet.
(06-19-2016, 11:10 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: It's more likely to me that the majority of different reactions towards the parents in the gorilla case and the alligator case are due to the difference in situations, not the race of the parents.

In the Harambe case, the parents knew there were gorillas in the enclave and there were signs to stay clear all over the zoo. The little boy didn't have any eyes on him for a very brief time and breached the barriers.

In the alligator case, the parents had no way of knowing there were alligators in the resort lagoon. There were no warning signs or barriers and the parents were watching their son play at the shoreline when the alligator snatched him up.

I don't think the different reactions are about the race of the parents, but I do think it's about the gorilla and alligator and Disney World's negligence.

You have a boy that's alive and an intelligent animal on the brink of extinction dead because the kid got through a barrier that the zoo never foreseen. Then you have a boy dead because of a mindless reptile that comes a dime a dozen and Disney failing to warn people about it.

But with all that aside, what's the difference between a parent who takes her eyes off her kid for a few seconds thinking he's right there next to her and a parent who ignores a no swimming sign and allows their 2 year old baby to wade in the water when it's pitch dark out. They were watching him, but they weren't right there holding his hand. They don't know what's in that water apparently and if that kid goes under it's going to be hard to find him. So what's the difference?
(06-20-2016, 11:55 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(06-20-2016, 11:21 AM)sally Wrote: I read conflicting stories so I don't know if the kid was wading in the water or if he was playing in the sand next to the water. If he was in fact in the water then it is somewhat of the parents fault. The first thing I would take from the "no swimming" signs is that there could be bacteria in the water, so my kid wouldn't be in the water and especially at night when you can't see anything.

I understood that he was playing on the shoreline and wading in the water near the sand. The sign said no swimming and said there was a steep drop in the water.

I wouldn't have thought about bacteria or alligators under the circumstances and probably wouldn't have been concerned about my kid getting his feet wet while I was watching him from very nearby.

Anyway, you can't put up a warning sign against every possible circumstance, obviously. But, the alligator warning seems like a no-brainer if guest safety is a top priority, in my opinion. Other resorts with similar lagoons near the Grand Floridian had alligator warning signs. I don't blame Lane's parents at all. If Lane had been wading near the shoreline at a resort with the alligator warning sign, then I'd think the parents were partially to blame.
There is a potential for alligators to be in ANY body of water in Florida. It's a fucking swamp.
If you see a body of water that says no swimming then you don't let your 2 year old go in it whether it's a retention pond or a lake at Disney world. So it's not rational to blame the woman at the zoo for taking her eyes off her kid for a second if you don't blame these parents too. Both parents are guilty of not thinking for a few seconds which is what parents do sometimes and it wouldn't have been a big deal if it didn't end in tragedy.I don't blame either
(06-20-2016, 06:43 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: There is a potential for alligators to be in ANY body of water in Florida. It's a fucking swamp.

Impressive display of subject matter knowledge there, Gunnar.

Now I can stop worrying that you'll be snatched up by an alligator if ever you're tempted to dip your toes into a man-made lagoon at a Disney family resort in Orlando.

Which only goes to prove what I've long suspected -- you're smarter than a 2-year-old, more worldly than a couple of Alabamans, and you don't need no stinking signs with such spot-on gate-dar to guide you.
This is just one of the few beach hotels we stayed at in Disney. It's the Swan and Dolphin and you can see how close the hammock is, something that kids are going to run over to and jump on. But would you let your kid wade in that and especially at night? I wouldn't, but just as easy as that is for me to say it's just as easy for someone to say they wouldn't take their eyes off their kid at the zoo for a second.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=the+...ajaxhist=0
I don't blame either set of parents either.

But, I don't t agree with you that people who blame the zoo parents have to blame the resort parents, lest they be hypocrites or something. Aside from the boy dying in one story and the animal dying in the other, the situations are different to me in other ways as well.

I can see how people would put some blame on the zoo parents for their little boy being able to sneak off, breach two barriers, and crash the gorilla enclave (after he'd already expressed to them a desire to go in there). I can also understand how those same people wouldn't put any blame on the parents whose kid was snatched up by a surprise alligator while they watched him play (not swim) in less that a foot of murky lagoon water at a family resort (with no rules, signs, or barriers warning or prohibiting it).
(06-20-2016, 08:48 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I don't blame either set of parents either.

But, I don't t agree with you that people who blame the zoo parents have to blame the resort parents, lest they be hypocrites or something. Aside from the boy dying in one story and the animal dying in the other, the situations are different to me in other ways.

I can see how people would put some blame on the zoo parents for their little boy being able to sneak off, breach two barriers, and crash the gorilla enclave (after he'd already expressed to them a desire to go in there). I can also understand how those same people wouldn't put any blame on the parents whose kid was snatched up by a surprise alligator while they watched him play (not swim) in less that a foot of murky lagoon water at a family resort (with no rules, signs, or barriers warning or prohibiting it).

Take all the circumstances away.People go to zoos just the way people go to man made beaches at Disney world. When they enter an exhibit at the zoo they imagine there is something to keep the animals in and the people out, same with man made lakes at Disney. They're not thinking that their kid could fall into the gorilla exhibit if they take their eyes off them anymore then the other parents are thinking an alligator could snatch them up in the dirty water. So how can you be outraged at the mother at the zoo? Why don't you just admit it's because of Harambe?

Not you, just the general you.
Yeah, as I said, I'm not outraged or blaming the mother at the zoo (nor the parents at the resort).

And, I know you're right that some people blame the zoo mom because Harambe was killed in order to save her son. I also know that other people blame the zoo mom because they consider themselves more vigilant parents whose kid could never ever ever end up in a dangerous situation in their presence. It's also true that some people blame the zoo mom because her son disobeyed her, and they therefore believe that bad or lax parenting led to the kid's life being put at risk and Harambe being killed.

I don't share any of those views, personally. What I posted is that I don't think racism is a major reason for the different public reactions to the two sets of parents. I also explained that, due to the different situations and different parental actions, I can see how some people who blame the zoo parents don't blame the resort parents. I understand that you don't see it the same way as I do, sally. Different perspectives is all.