Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Quick to Judge
I read this last week and wanted to get your take on it.
To me, the commentary (not mine) is spot on.

[Image: BkypRzT.jpg]

"Late last year this photograph of children looking at their smartphones by Rembrandt’s ‘The Night Watch’ in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam started doing the rounds on the web. It quickly became viral. It was often accompanied by outraged, dispirited comments such as “a perfect metaphor for our age”, “the end of civilisation” or “a sad picture of our society”.
Only they weren’t. It turns out that the Rijksmuseum has an app that, among other things, contains guided tours and further information about the works on display. As part of their visit to the museum, the children, who a moment earlier had admired the art and listened attentively to explanations by expert adults, had been instructed to complete an assignment by their school teachers, using, among other things, the museum’s excellent smartphone app.
I would like to think that all those who liked, posted, shared and tweeted the picture of children on smartphones by Rembrandt’s masterpiece in the erroneous belief that it illustrated everything that is wrong with society feel a tiny bit silly and a little more humble as a consequence. But it won’t happen.
The tragic thing is that this — the truth — will never go viral. So, I wonder, what is likely to bring about the death of civilization, children using smartphones to learn about art or the wilful ignorance of adults who are too quick to make assumptions?"
(06-05-2016, 01:38 PM)OnBendedKnee Wrote: the wilful ignorance of adults who are too quick to make assumptions?"

I'm that person ^^^^^. I recognized immediately that they were in a museum and I saw them all with their faces stuck in their phones and I judged.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
When I saw the photo, my first thought was that the kids were researching the painting.

They're leaning in together and seem to be engrossed.

So...I guess I agree with the commentary, and I'm relieved to learn that I'm not that quick to jump to negative conclusions and judge.

P.s. would you check out the size of those boats...er, feet...on the girl in the middle!
I didn't really judge, but I did think that kids are kids and always have been whether they have smart phones or not. I took my kids to the Rijksmuseum when they were 12 and 16 and they weren't exactly as thrilled as I was. When I suggested that we go to the Van Gogh museum next they said do we really have to go to another one mom. My husband didn't want to go either and I'm still kind of pissed that they talked me out of it.
I remember when the functions of that app were performed by a real live tour guide. So yes, it is “a perfect metaphor for our age”, “the end of civilisation” or “a sad picture of our society”, but not necessarily for the reasons the commenters had in mind.
Even the pickpocketing homeless children that hang outside of the Rijksmuseum have smartphones so they too can use the app.
I guess it's all in how you present it. When I was doing the photo thing of my father-son Road trips, I realized we wound up in a shit ton of museums. But we went to some fun ones and they were joint decisions always, and even the ones that sucked made for great stories.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
(06-05-2016, 09:34 PM)Sacrifyx Wrote: I remember when the functions of that app were performed by a real live tour guide.

I think it should still be that way. What the hell has happened to good, ol' human to human interaction? Meh, maybe you can't teach an old dog new tricks, I prefer the old school way.
I get a bunch of customers that only use e-mail or text and they stutter and say ummmm a lot when I actually call them. Interaction may become a lost venue someday but its not here yet.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

I've been sent invitations & thank you "cards" through email. I wouldn't dream of doing that, I think it's in poor taste. Hells Bells, there are a couple people that I still actually put pen to paper and write to. I understand we live in a different time now but I'm older and I believe there is a certain way to do things and a thank you card by way of email is not the way I would do it.