Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
San Diego brush fires
It is being reported it was started by an auto accident and I believe a few members live near there. I hope things get under control and everyone is safe.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
About 150 acres right now, east of us in Temecula.
There would be a long checklist for me if a brush fire was heading my way.
(06-06-2016, 12:12 PM)Maggot Wrote: There would be a long checklist for me if a brush fire was heading my way.

And when the checklist catches fire, time to run.

I'd want to get a moving van and take all my most meaningful stuff.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(06-06-2016, 03:21 PM)OnBendedKnee Wrote:
(06-06-2016, 12:12 PM)Maggot Wrote: There would be a long checklist for me if a brush fire was heading my way.

And when the checklist catches fire, time to run.

Especially noteworthy when writing my checklist on my hand.
^
Urine is an excellent resource for putting out finger fires. It doesn't even have to be your own urine.
Or your own fingers.
Put sprinklers all around your house! And clear away the brush! Unless you live in an apartment, then get the hell out! (I mean if it gets too close)
(06-08-2016, 01:33 AM)Love Child Wrote: Put sprinklers all around your house! And clear away the brush! Unless you live in an apartment, then get the hell out! (I mean if it gets too close)

When my neighborhood was evacuated in the Black Hills Forest (SD), everyone was hosing down their roofs to keep hot ashes off shingles...the fire personnel were driving around with their bullhorns telling homeowners to turn off their water, because it affected their water pressure at ground zero....My home backed up to empty National Guard land so that is where helicopters landed after they picked water from nearby lake and dumped on fire.....then next morning, I woke up at 5:00 a.m. with the sound of bull dozers building a fire line behind my back fence....I had heard about evacuation while 30 minutes away at work. I drove like a maniac back to my house as i had two dogs in the house and once they close an area, you cannot get back in (not for any reason)......this happened over a period of a week. The only reason my house didn't burn, was a change in the direction of the wind the morning they were buiding fire line behind me.

It is so scary....I wasn't in my Colorado home few years ago, but my tenant had to evacuate from house I owned there....Fire was just a block away......I just prayed that HOA had insurance paid up......

You try to think what to take and your mind goes blank.....i couldn't even decide what to put in a suitcase....I thought of important papers, pictures as this was before computers...now, I would just grab my computer and a few photo albums....and of course, any pets I had at the time......

Today, if you live in the mountains, you have to follow fire abatement rules and keep property free of vegetation, especially juniper....pine cones need to be raked, etc........my house in the mountains had a fire hydrant right across the street so I was lucky to live within city limits at the time of the fires 3 or 4 years ago.....but since our landscaping is kept natural mountain landscaping, no grass, etc...it is more likely to "catch" fire....oh, I did sell that house recently and I am sad about that, but just couldn't breathe up there.....The inspector wrote up possible flooding. If you remember, Northwest Colorado had major flooding 3 years ago and destroyed most of the highways in and out of where my house was located....My house was not affected but now inspector is saying I my house could be subject to flooding....yeah, and Jesus could come for a visit tomorrow, too.......if it didn't flood then, it ain't going to flood ever.........
I've been in Four major fires since I moved to the valley of the dirt people, it's scary shit. I did save a few neighbors properties from going up in flames. A fire captain lives about 10 houses north closer to the mountains, they lit a backfire to save his house then the winds shifted and it ended up causing a few dozen houses to burn down in the neighboring city. Would they have done that if he was just a normal citizen?
Speaking of forest/brush fires, Yarnell, AZ is now site of the Tenderfoot fire....400 acres thus far and people have been evacuated from their homes. population is around 679, but one home has already burned. This is the place that had devastating fire 3 to 4 years ago and 19 firefighters got trapped and burned to death.....was such a tragedy and now it is happening in the same place......it was determined that these firefighters lacked adequate communication and were not warned soon enough to get out of the area .....only one member of the team survived.....some did manage to get into their portable "fireproof" tents, but that couldn't save them.....
(06-08-2016, 10:57 PM)blueberryhill Wrote: This is the place that had devastating fire 3 to 4 years ago and 19 firefighters got trapped and burned to death.....

I remember that, it was horrible. So very sad. There are pix in here of the fire, the people involved, the procession of hearses, etc. :(
(06-09-2016, 05:06 AM)Duchess Wrote:
(06-08-2016, 10:57 PM)blueberryhill Wrote: This is the place that had devastating fire 3 to 4 years ago and 19 firefighters got trapped and burned to death.....

I remember that, it was horrible. So very sad. There are pix in here of the fire, the people involved, the procession of hearses, etc. :(

I should have mentioned that these men who lost their lives
were "hotshots," i.e., specially trained and highly skilled in fighting fires....and in this day of technology, their communication system, whether caused by human and/or equipment failure was to blame.....

In any case, just caught a glimpse of update on fire...no homes destroyed...a few structures, but this is good news.....This community suffered enough 3 years ago.....
oh my god that is terrible.
(06-11-2016, 01:00 AM)Love Child Wrote: oh my god that is terrible.

Yeah, it was just awful and so saddening.

Here's the thread -

http://mockforums.net/showthread.php?tid=10259