Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AMBROSIA SALAD

Has anyone in here ever made that? It's super simple, right? There are a million and one recipes for it but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually made it.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I'm not eating that.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
(06-26-2016, 09:31 AM)ramseycat Wrote: I'm not eating that.

I'm sure Duchess could make a nice ambrosia salad.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

Is it the mandarin oranges? I don't like them so I'll be leaving them out. As far as I can tell it's simply a lot of fruit.
Reminds me of jello with shredded carrot.
Somebody thought that was a good idea.
(06-26-2016, 10:58 AM)Duchess Wrote:

Is it the mandarin oranges? I don't like them so I'll be leaving them out. As far as I can tell it's simply a lot of fruit.

I don't like the fruit mashed together and the dressing.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
Doesn't it have marshmallows and flaked coconut in it? It's one of those jello type fluffy stuff salads that grandma always brings for Thanksgiving and nobody eats it?
(06-26-2016, 12:34 PM)sally Wrote: Doesn't it have marshmallows and flaked coconut in it? It's one of those jello type fluffy stuff salads that grandma always brings for Thanksgiving and nobody eats it?

I just had some recently at a garden party. It was divine. Old

I don't recall marshmallows but I think there was coconut, cherries, grapes, peaches and a couple other things. It was a very light salad and I liked it a lot but it wasn't the kind of atmosphere where I would ask how it was made.
Someone gave me a cookbook called Home Town Recipes Good Enough To Share. I would have bet my bottom dollar there would be an Ambrosia salad recipe in there, but there is not. There is, however, Margaret Gangle's frozen fruit salad and Bill Clinton's pound cake. I don't think it's thee Bill Clinton though so don't get excited.
(06-26-2016, 01:33 PM)sally Wrote: Someone gave me a cookbook called Home Town Recipes Good Enough To Share. I would have bet my bottom dollar there would be an Ambrosia salad recipe in there, but there is not. There is, however, Margaret Gangle's frozen fruit salad and Bill Clinton's pound cake. I don't think it's thee Bill Clinton though so don't get excited.

What are you doing for the 4th of July? Is it just another day or are you going to BBQ? What are you making for side dishes?
(06-26-2016, 01:14 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(06-26-2016, 12:34 PM)sally Wrote: Doesn't it have marshmallows and flaked coconut in it? It's one of those jello type fluffy stuff salads that grandma always brings for Thanksgiving and nobody eats it?

I just had some recently at a garden party. It was divine. Old

I don't recall marshmallows but I think there was coconut, cherries, grapes, peaches and a couple other things. It was a very light salad and I liked it a lot but it wasn't the kind of atmosphere where I would ask how it was made.

Ambrosia salads have mini marshmallow's in them. Here's a nice dollar tree recipe you can use hah

*barf* It didn't look anything like that. I guess I don't know what it was I ate then. It was a fruit salad but better than any one I had ever had before.
(06-26-2016, 01:57 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(06-26-2016, 01:33 PM)sally Wrote: Someone gave me a cookbook called Home Town Recipes Good Enough To Share. I would have bet my bottom dollar there would be an Ambrosia salad recipe in there, but there is not. There is, however, Margaret Gangle's frozen fruit salad and Bill Clinton's pound cake. I don't think it's thee Bill Clinton though so don't get excited.

What are you doing for the 4th of July? Is it just another day or are you going to BBQ? What are you making for side dishes?

I don't know yet. We can see the fireworks they set off on the river from my house so there is never no need to go somewhere to watch them, but I haven't thought about what I'm going to cook.

What are you doing?
I made a mojito fruit salad for my own baby shower because I couldn't trust the people running it to make anything good and it was fantastic. I can't find the recipe now but I know it had Cointreau in it and obviously lime and mint.
(06-26-2016, 05:29 PM)sally Wrote: What are you doing?

I have something going on over the weekend and I'm not doing anything special on the actual holiday, I'll probably treat it as just another Sunday.
I love ambrosia salad but it needs to be eaten the day its made. I just watched a woman put all kinds of fruit in a glass vase, then add red wine. It looked pretty damn good! She even put some soda water in hers.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(06-26-2016, 06:38 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(06-26-2016, 05:29 PM)sally Wrote: What are you doing?

I have something going on over the weekend and I'm not doing anything special on the actual holiday, I'll probably treat it as just another Sunday.

Are you trying to cop side dishes off me? Because that was what I was hoping to get off you and so far all you've given me is an Ambrosia salad that isn't an ambrosia salad and you don't know what the hell it is other than it contains fruit.

I run out of ideas for stuff to cook and sometimes the thought of food actually disgusts me. I do like Maggot's idea of wine or sparkling water added to the fruit salad though. Maybe even some champagne.Refreshing and delightful.
(06-26-2016, 09:20 PM)sally Wrote: Are you trying to cop side dishes off me?

Well, yeah, I was, but I changed my mind and said fuck it when it turned into a big goddamn production. It's not like I want to make food for anyone anyway. I'll bring booze.
(06-26-2016, 04:58 PM)Duchess Wrote:

*barf* It didn't look anything like that. I guess I don't know what it was I ate then. It was a fruit salad but better than any one I had ever had before.

Yeah, that's the reaction I expected out of you. Ambrosia salads are totally slimey and disgusting, What made you think the salad you had at the party was called ambrosia salad?

Was the party a catered event? Maybe you could ask the host who catered it, then call the catering company to get the name....
(06-27-2016, 06:52 AM)cannongal Wrote: What made you think the salad you had at the party was called ambrosia salad?

It's the only name of a fruit salad I know. 50

No, it wasn't catered. The only reason I was even there was because I went in my boss' place. I don't like doing that shit and it was filled with ladies who lunch. I felt like I should have been wearing a twin set & pearls. *shudders*