Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Jill Stein or Gary Johnson?
If you had to choose between one of these 2, which would it be?

I know HotD already mentioned them in the Presidential race, but I thought it would be nice if they had their own thread. I am just curious if people were not voting Democrat or Republican what would they vote?

I listened to Gary Johnson the other day and he at least sounded sane and like he had his shit together as opposed to Jill who seemed a little high strung to me so, it would have to be Gary over her.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I like Gary Johnson's platform and I like his VP.

As a Libertarian, Johnson is socially liberal, fiscally conservative and prefers diplomacy over aggressive intervention when it comes to foreign policy.

Plus, he's got experience as a two-term governor (an advantage over Jill Stein, for me) AND he's committed to stop smoking pot because he wants to be focused and ready to act at any time as a presidential candidate and, he hopes, as the nation's Command In Chief.

In any previous presidential election, I don't think someone who's so open about his personal life and has been the CEO of a marijuana business would stand a chance. But, politics and times are changing, so I'm hoping he gets 15% support and will thus be eligible to debate Clinton and Trump.
(07-20-2016, 10:31 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: he's committed to stop smoking pot because he wants to be focused and ready to act at any time as a presidential candidate and, he hopes, as the nation's Command In Chief.

has been the CEO of a marijuana business

I had no idea he's a pothead. Hahaha! That tickles my funny bone.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Even more concerning to me than the ease with which the wrong people can get a hold of military grade guns and ammo in this country, is the insane volume of prescription drugs in the hands of so many millions of Americans.

To me, the fact that Americans consume 80% of the world's opiod prescriptions but account for less than 5% of the world's population is very telling. When it comes to hydrocodone, we consume 99% of the global supply. Seriously. Last year, drug overdoses exceeded drunk driving fatalities as the number one cause of accidental death in the U.S.

I agree completely with Johnson on this point:
"Legalizing recreational marijuana would lead to less substance abuse because people are going to find it as such a safer alternative than everything else that’s out there, starting with alcohol. Marijuana products on the medicinal side directly compete with legal prescription painkillers and antidepressants that statistically kill 100,000 people a year. Marijuana products — not one documented death.” Source: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016...-as-presi/

In my opinion, the U.S. doesn't lead the world in per-capita incarceration because we're more criminally-minded or more violent. We're in that spot because we have more guns available and more gun crime with long sentences, we have over aggressive for-profit policing and prison systems, and we've got an influential segment of the population which likes the idea of people who don't look or live like them being locked away for a long time for non-violent offenses.

Likewise, I don't for a minute believe that the U.S. leads the world in prescription drug use/abuse because we're much more prone to chronic pain. Rather, it's in large part due to the fact that doctors and politicians profit from the proliferation of big pharma prescription drugs and addiction (repeat customers).

Mass incarceration and prescription drug abuse (and heroin) are key issues for me. It's encouraging that there are politicians from all parties talking about the need for reform in these areas. From my perspective, the Democratic, Libertarian, and Green party platforms are more aggressive and solution-oriented in addressing the problems than are the Republicans. That matters a lot to this voter.
Well I like beer more than penis so I'd probably vote Jill Stein.
(07-20-2016, 10:49 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: Well I like beer more than penis so I'd probably vote Jill Stein.

They go hand in hand ya know.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I would definitely vote for the legalization candidate even though I haven't used anything in decades. The war on drugs has been an abject misbegotten failure.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.