Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Craig Rideout murders Penfield NY
I didn't post this under murderous wives or deadly children because they aren't quite sure who did what yet. Story is developing.

http://www.whec.com/news/estranged-wife-...d/4208306/

Short version of a story rapidly becoming more and more seedy: Craig Rideout, suburban father of seven going through a contentious and bitter divorce, up and disappeared last week. A body later determined to be his turns up in a rural county, face burned off with acid. His vehicle turns up still later at a park and ride site for buses in a different county, with blood in it.

Estranged wife was caught by Rideout's sister, in his house alone and furiously cleaning up...something. Her reaction was "oh I figured someone would come looking for him soon." Two of the seven kids, boys, are quickly arrested along with mom for evidence tampering but no one is charged with murder. There is a Facebook exchange between dad and one of the boys reveals a very strained relationship and paints dad as a very cold fish, and sons alleging abuse.

http://www.twcnews.com/nys/rochester/new...amily.html

What's clear at this point is that the three did something and are involved in the murder and disappearance. The question, and the part that will get interesting, is who did what.

This case is very similar to the Charlie Tam case last year where there is still no conviction and both mother and son are free. I swear it's getting very routine to see wacky dateline-style murders in this town. We're gonna get our own Law And Order franchise.

Edit to add: forgot to mention for the non-locals: Penfield and Perinton are not lowbrow suburbs. They're the ritzy section where all the cops and lawyers and teachers and doctors live. Very upper middle class. And the New Wickham townhouses are literally blocks from where I live and work. Creepy. Good thing my kid doesn't know how much life insurance I have...
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
Sad and interesting case, Donovan. It is weird that Colin Rideout went to school with Charlie Tan, who is also widely believed to have killed his father in collusion with his mother.

In reading up on the case...some background:

THE VICTIM / FAMILY

[Image: craig-rideout-0722jpg?wid=640&hei=360&fm...stretch,1&]
Craig Rideout, 50, was a father of seven and had custody of his youngest children.

Craig and Laura Rideout had been engaged in a bitter divorce and custody battle since 2014.

Colin Rideout, 22, sided with their mom and accused their father of being controlling and abusive in an Facebook message exchange the day before Craig went missing.

Craig Rideout's family and friends, however, describe him as great and caring father who also mentored youth for social programs.

Laura Rideout, 45, and some of the Rideouts' children lived with her boyfriend and the godfather of some of the children, family friend Paul Tucci.

Tucci's wife passed away in 2014. Tucci and Laura Rideout reportedly wanted to move to North Carolina where an older Rideout son is militarily stationed. They were packed for the move when Craig Rideout went missing on Tuesday, 19 July.

On Wednesday, 20 July, Craig's sister (Robbyn Drew) went to his apartment and found Laura Rideout cleaning it, which was very odd. Laura Rideout told her sister-in-law that Colin had picked up the younger kids 10 minutes early; Laura took some bagged items out of the house when she left. Craig's bedroom door was locked, but he and his van were missing.
THE CRIME / EVIDENCE

Robbyn Drew called 911 after Laura Rideout left Craig's apartment. Police later determined that Laura Rideout had been cleaning up blood residue.

A body was found covered in a tarp in the woods later that day. Dental records later confirmed the body was that of Craig Rideout.

A shovel found at the scene and evidence indicated that some kind of corrosive acid was poured over the body's face," said Sheriff Spike.

The ME has since confirmed COD as asphyxiation and blunt force trauma.

Craig Rideout's 2010 gray Honda Odyssey was located one week after he went missing.

A police representative said investigators were certain the Odyssey had been at the Yates County crime scene.

Monroe County Undersheriff Drew Forsythe said the vehicle was located in Bushnells Basin off I490 by deputies who had been assigned to locate possible surveillance video of those involved in the slaying.
CHARGES / SUSPECTS -- TAMPERING WITH EVIDENCE

[Image: rideout-arrests_jpg]

Laura Rideout (45), Alexander Rideout (19), and Colin Rideout (22) were all charged with felony tampering with evidence and bailed out. Their cases will go to a Grand Jury as their attorneys waived preliminary hearings.

No one has been charged with murder yet and police aren't saying whether they suspect Tucci or anyone else of involvement.

Police are currently examining computer and phone records, along with other forensic evidence in order to make a murder case.

Refs:
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/stor.../87573226/
http://www.twcnews.com/nys/rochester/new...amily.html
Another piece of the puzzle, about the same time. Just south of Pittsford NY is Mendon Ponds Park. Same day, or day after Rideout went missing, sheriffs evacuated an area of the park called Devil's Bathtub, and after a several hour investigation left with a car in tow. I think car belonged to one of the kids. Anyway, it seems some of the chemicals were found dumped in that pond (there are several in the park). This all happened in the same 48 hours or so...he goes missing, body found, investigation at the park. I listened to it all and speculated right away they were all connected
I didn't hear about chemicals in Mendon Ponds, I've been incommunicado this weekend. That sucks though, it's a beautiful area. They couldn't dump the chemicals in Gates? Nobody cares about Gates lol
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
Regarding the case: some immediate red flags jump out at me as far as timelines. 1. Laura Rideout has been in divorce proceedings since 2014, and theoretically has been involved with Tucci for almost that long if they're cohabitation and headed out of state. Tucci's wife died...in 2014. Interesting coincidence, especially if Tucci is the godfather of some of the kids and therefore has been close to the family much longer than 2 years. If I were MCS I'd be looking hard at the wife's death.
Donovan, I only paid attention as I had literally just been there not two days before all this came about. Why do I have a sneaky hunch that Dateline will be back in town?
(07-31-2016, 07:25 PM)QueenBee Wrote: Donovan, I only paid attention as I had literally just been there not two days before all this came about. Why do I have a sneaky hunch that Dateline will be back in town?
No kidding. That's not even talking about the two different and unrelated murders where the killers decided to torch the corpses. Its like Rochester as a collective took a course on halfass ways to dispose of bodies.