Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
RIO OLYMPICS

I heard some talk that maybe it's time to find 2 set spots, one for Winter, one for Summer. I completely agree and I think it should be seriously considered. It's ridiculous to hold the biggest games of all in a place where athletes are told not to cover their heads with water, apparently there was some issues with some of the rooms, athletes don't have the things they need, etc. It's time to put the athletes first. Does everything have to revolve around money? I suppose that's a rhetorical question.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
The U.S. dominated the swimming competitions this weekend. Katie Ledecky broke her own world record and won the gold in the women's 400 meter freestyle.

The men's team added Michael Phelps to the 4x100 relay team on the day of the race; smart move. The team won the gold, the 19th Olympic gold medal for Phelps.

The Williams sister have won the women's doubles Olympic gold every time they've competed together in the past -- 2000, 2008, and 2012. Not in 2016. I was surprised that Serena and Venus were knocked out in round 1 by the Czech team. :(

I really disliked reading about Corey Cogdell's win in that it was prefaced with "wife of". Ugh. Why did they have to do that? She's an Olympic medal winner on her own, she needn't be seen as anyone's wife first.
That's gotta hurt! I heard a kayaker got overturned by a sofa the other day.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(08-08-2016, 01:39 PM)Maggot Wrote: That's gotta hurt! I heard a kayaker got overturned by a sofa the other day.
Yeah, but Rio has the "greenest games ever" hah
(08-08-2016, 12:31 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote:

Holy crapola, that leg is at a right angle, it's sure gotta smart! Smiley_emoticons_skeptisch
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

(08-08-2016, 02:20 PM)Carsman Wrote:
(08-08-2016, 12:31 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote:

Holy crapola, that leg is at a right angle, it's sure gotta smart! Smiley_emoticons_skeptisch
I don't think he made the finals. hah
I ain't clicking that, nope. Broken bones give me the willies.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
(08-08-2016, 04:24 PM)Donovan Wrote: I ain't clicking that, nope. Broken bones give me the willies.

No need to click it. The frozen screen is willy inducing enough.
I agree!
Got to give to the guy, he didn't scream or anything.
The Williams girls didn't have their groove this time around. I watches Venus for 3 hrs the other night, she was up and down but never got it hooked up
The American swimmers have done very well, I really liked the slap at the drug cheating russians
(08-09-2016, 01:41 PM)SIXFOOTERsez Wrote: I really liked the slap at the drug cheating russians

I should go look for that, I've only heard about it.

I saw a clip of someone taking a horrible spill during a bike race. It looked awful and I think it was said that person was on the stretch to get her gold. His gold? I don't even know if it was male or female.
I was surprised to see the Women's USA soccer team defeated. I wasn't surprised to hear Hope Solo make a sore loser remark though. She kicks ass on the field and acts like an ass on and off it too often for my taste.

Props to Michael Phelps for coming out of retirement at 31 and owning the pool. He's got 22 Olympic medals now. Thirteen of his titles are for individual performances, breaking a 2168 year old record held by Leonidas of Rhodes.

And, the two Simones were awesome.
[Image: simone-biles-simone-manuel-meet-up-for-e...-photo.jpg]
Simone Manuel, 20, won a gold medal for the 100 meter freestyle, tying with Penny Oleksiak of Canada and becoming the first African-American woman to win an individual swimming gold medal. She also picked up a silver medal as part of the relay team.

Simone Biles, 19, is an amazing gymnast. She took the gold in the individual competition and got another gold as part of the USA women's team.
She would be great in a Karate movie!
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(08-12-2016, 11:11 PM)Maggot Wrote: She would be great in a Karate movie!

The two American gymnasts, Simone and Ally Raisman, were simply head and shoulders above the rest of the world on balance beam and floor.

Not even close.

It's hard for tme o even comprehend doing their routines (even if I was 22 years old again).

I'd have zero chance of doing them.

Amazing stuff.
American swimmer Katie Ledecky made history last night in the pool.

[Image: 0f41821fab3f470d8c922bb46d654655.jpg]

She beat her own record again and beat her closest competitor by nearly 12 long seconds in the 800 meter freestyle, earning her fourth 2016 Olympic gold.

Ledecky, 19, will be entering her freshman year at Stanford after accomplishing her goal of being the first woman since Debbie Meyer in 1968 to take the gold in the 100, 400, and 800 meter freestyle races.
I like watching the gymnastics the most. With most sports you could get good at it if you practice hard enough, but it takes a certain kind of athlete to do what those gymnasts do.
I bet your great at gymnasties.