WHAT IS SUCCESS?

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer because it's going to mean different things to different people.

Is success money? Is it being proud of having raised good kids? Is it a nice home or wonderful friends? Is it being a happy individual? How are you successful?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I prefer to think of success as an unatainable ideal that keeps us always trying for more of whatever it is we have decided is important in our lives. That's why it's so hard to define. For some, it might be the driving need to be as rich as possible. For others, fame. For me, I am driven by the insatiable and impossible urge to learn...everything. For others it might be the need to be as loved and well-thought of as possible.

I think the idea of success also comes with an unspoken finish line which is why you see billionaires continuing to fight and scrape for every dime, or world famous people doing everything they can to stay in limelight. We have this imaginary line in our brain, this point where we would be satisfied at a job well done...and what's left when we reach it? Death? Who wants that?
My personal version of success would be a comfortable home with people who were happy to see me coming. Pretty simple on paper but way harder than it looks. I'd like to think there are a few who remember me fondly and that I've left the world better than I found it so far, but that happy home part is an elusive dream. And I'm okay with that because No one really wants to get to that finish line too soon, right? I see people again and again who make raising their kids their finish line, and then in twenty or 25 years they flounder not knowing what the hell to do next.

TL: DR version
Success is that always just-out-of-reach personal idea of perfection that gets us out of bed in the morning.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
(09-10-2016, 07:35 AM)Duchess Wrote:

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer because it's going to mean different things to different people.

Is success money? Is it being proud of having raised good kids? Is it a nice home or wonderful friends? Is it being a happy individual? How are you successful?

Yes it most likely will be different to many people.

For myself getting or achieving wealth, respect, happiness, good family, good friends, possessions, having good health and living a long life is also a success.

For others fame is/can be paramount, in addition to many of the above. I can live without fame.
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

To me it's black and white. The accomplishment of an aim or purpose. The opposite of failure.

That could apply to anything. If you opened up a restaurant and it flopped then obviously that wouldn't be a success.

I never set out to become extremely wealthy, but my goal was to be able to live comfortably and afford nice things which I have achieved so I consider that a success. On the other hand I also had a goal to get really good at bowling, but that was a failure.
(09-10-2016, 09:37 AM)sally Wrote: I also had a goal

I love that you have goals. I'm a huge believer in them and they are part of my daily life. The size of them is irrelevant to me, the importance lies in accomplishing them.
True success is truly measured by what you have left when you go to the grave. For the living, the quest to succeed is an ongoing process for nothing in human life is ever utterly perfectly complete until nothing more can be done.
This is because to me success means achieving the best results possible to my satisfaction having exploited my potential in whatever area to my considered utmost and therefore being able to move to a new area for nothing more can be done in the old.

So you see the measure of it is complicated for the things in which we measure success in can never be complete i.e. parenting, family, spiritual, education, etc. Physical feats are temporary and their success therefore easily measurable e.g. going to the moon, climbing a mountain, winning a race, passing an exam. On the other hand, one can only say they have been a successfully happily married person when one or the other partner says goodbye to the union by the separation of death.
taking care of business while having as much fun as possible
(09-10-2016, 11:13 PM)BigMark Wrote: taking care of business while having as much fun as possible

Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

(09-10-2016, 11:13 PM)BigMark Wrote: taking care of business while having as much fun as possible

Couldn't have said it better myself. I consider myself successful because I've learned to be happy with what I got. A good job, friends and co-workers who love me, money to go out and have as much fun as possible to concerts, movies, drinking and strip clubs with friends. Hell I even feel successful because the girl at the strip club who gave me my last lapdance of the night said I was adorable.
You've also succeeded at being one of the best damn karaoke singers in all of Hoosick Falls and the greatest dancer the DMV has ever seen.
(09-11-2016, 11:18 AM)sally Wrote: You've also succeeded at being one of the best damn karaoke singers in all of Hoosick Falls and the greatest dancer the DMV has ever seen.

Well I don't know about being the best karaoke singer in Hoosick Falls. If I was you'd think they'd give more than 2 songs. Maybe its my song selection. I can't help it if I like to sing songs like "Let it Go", "Walkin' Round in Women's Underwear" and "At a Medium Pace".
i don't understand the homesexul life style but if they don't butt fuck each other in front of me why would i even care?

Exactly.
Waking up every morning is success.
(09-11-2016, 11:32 AM)Clang McFly Wrote:
(09-11-2016, 11:18 AM)sally Wrote: You've also succeeded at being one of the best damn karaoke singers in all of Hoosick Falls and the greatest dancer the DMV has ever seen.

Well I don't know about being the best karaoke singer in Hoosick Falls. If I was you'd think they'd give more than 2 songs. Maybe its my song selection. I can't help it if I like to sing songs like "Let it Go", "Walkin' Round in Women's Underwear" and "At a Medium Pace".

Let It Go from the movie Frozen? Ok well then you've succeeded in being the weirdest karaoke singer in all of Hoosick Falls.
Well, it is a village.
(09-12-2016, 08:29 AM)sally Wrote:
(09-11-2016, 11:32 AM)Clang McFly Wrote:

Let It Go from the movie Frozen? Ok well then you've succeeded in being the weirdest karaoke singer in all of Hoosick Falls.

DISNEY SONGS ARE NOT WEIRD! DISNEY IS LIFE! YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED! ACCEPT YOUR FATE LIKE THE ONCE MIGHTY MARVEL!