Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Pipelines and passes....
East Coasters should fill up & keep it full...or not, it's up to you. This story has been kicking around for about a week now on my newsfeed. Southern friends are telling me prices at the pump are going up fast.

Link: http://www.wmur.com/money/east-coast-fac...k/41691818

"A leak has caused the closure of a crucial pipeline that carries gasoline to the eastern United States, a disruption that threatens to drive up prices and leave service stations without fuel to sell.

A section of the Colonial Pipeline, which runs from Houston to New York, has been closed since Sept. 9 after a spill of roughly 6,000 barrels of gasoline was discovered in rural Shelby County, Ala.

The major pipeline, one pipe of which has been severed, provides gasoline for an estimated 50 million people on the East Coast each day, according to company estimates.

The pipeline's operator has said full service will not be restored until at least next week. The closure has set off an industry-wide scramble as suppliers seek alternative ways to transport gasoline to the East Coast.

Already, ships have been dispatched to carry fuel from Texas to New York as part of the effort.

The pipeline operator said that based on its current projections, parts of Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, North Carolina and South Carolina will be the first markets to suffer potential disruptions in supply.

The governors of Alabama and Georgia have already declared states of emergency. And the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has sought to ease supply shortages by relaxing limits on the blend of gasoline that can be used across 18 counties in Georgia and Tennessee.

Patrick DeHaan, an analyst at GasBuddy.com, said that over the next week, gas prices could spike by as much as 15 cents per gallon in Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia, and by as much as 20 cents per gallon in South Carolina.

Some service stations could run out entirely, he added. (snip)"

Sally & six, how are your gas prices fairing?

In other news:

A North Dakota judge issued a warrant Wednesday for the arrest of Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein, who is accused of spray-painting construction equipment during a protest against the Dakota Access

Link to story: http://abc13.com/news/green-partys-jill-...f/1501523/

I really need to research the Dakota Access pipeline more. I read somewhere about the government just plowing up burial grounds 50 That disturbs me.
(09-16-2016, 07:47 AM)cannongal Wrote: I read somewhere about the government just plowing up burial grounds :( That disturbs me.

Yeah, they did. I first saw this mentioned a couple weeks ago. When the protesters wouldn't leave, dogs were brought in. I'll see if I can find video of that.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I wish Duchess would pass the pipeline and stop bogarting the damn thing.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(09-16-2016, 01:03 PM)Maggot Wrote: I wish Duchess would pass the pipeline and stop bogarting the damn thing.

Perfect timing. Let's!
(09-16-2016, 07:47 AM)cannongal Wrote: Sally & six, how are your gas prices fairing?

$2.17 here, $2.35 for diesel.
The only pipeline out in Fla. is the Cuban Cocaine Connection.
(09-16-2016, 01:38 PM)Maggot Wrote: The only pipeline out in Fla. is the Cuban Cocaine Connection.
Cuba has coca? Are you sure you didn't mean Columbia?
(09-16-2016, 02:28 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote:
(09-16-2016, 01:38 PM)Maggot Wrote: The only pipeline out in Fla. is the Cuban Cocaine Connection.
Cuba has coca? Are you sure you didn't mean Columbia?

You sure know your rock.
(09-16-2016, 07:47 AM)cannongal Wrote: I really need to research the Dakota Access pipeline more. I read somewhere about the government just plowing up burial grounds 50 That disturbs me.

Most Sioux don't want that pipeline, they claim it's running through sacred burial ground and then there's the fact that some of the pipeline will be run under the Missouri river which is their primary water source. The protesters have said they have no intention of standing down even through the upcoming North Dakota winter.

See this pic? Military in war zones dress like this and obviously the police in the United States do as well when going up against unarmed protesters.

[Image: Cv6GzobWAAAtzMr.jpg]

I'm really delighted to post this. Smiley_emoticons_smile

The US Army Corp of Engineers has denied the current route for the Dakota Access Pipeline, it will be rerouted.

The Army will not approve an easement that would allow the proposed Dakota Access Pipeline to cross under Lake Oahe in North Dakota, the Army's assistant secretary for civil works announced Sunday.

Story
(12-04-2016, 06:49 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I'm really delighted to post this. Smiley_emoticons_smile

The US Army Corp of Engineers has denied the current route for the Dakota Access Pipeline, it will be rerouted.

The Army will not approve an easement that would allow the proposed Dakota Access Pipeline to cross under Lake Oahe in North Dakota, the Army's assistant secretary for civil works announced Sunday.

Story

I am delighted about this.. When I worked in South Dakota, I had many Sioux native Americans and talk about poverty in the US, that describes a typical reservation....there are many arguments out there on the pros and cons to be sure...and I never liked someone referred to a rehab facility for alcoholism to end up going back to same environment which created the disease (plus genetics and all the other stuff)......but have a special place in my heart for the Sioux Nation and the students I dealt with......
Exactly where on this existing pipeline map was it proposed?

[Image: pipeline_line_map-630x420.gif]

Point out the Missouri river and I'll show you.

The Standing Rock protest was the longest in modern history, I read. And, fortunately, there were no fatalities.

It's been interesting (loosely) following this protest. The local Sioux tribe, their supporters, and environmental demonstrators showed so much stamina. They stood their ground for months on end to protect their burial grounds and water supply, despite being tear-gassed, pushed back, and pummeled with water bullets by LE in freezing temperatures. Inspiring group of people.

Hats off to the 2,000 veterans who showed up in North Dakota today to relieve and supplement the protesters.

It's good to see that that the Army civil works spokesperson said today that the consideration of alternative (oil pipeline) routes would be best accomplished through an environmental impact statement with full public input and analysis. Yep.

Governor Dalrymple is one pissed mofo and none too happy about President Obama's support to halt the pipeline, though. Suck it Jack!
(12-04-2016, 07:57 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Suck it Jack!

Yeah! Suck it Jack!
Suck it Jill!
I haven't been following it very closely either, but I do know what FB posters aren't telling anyone is that this all started because the native American council turned down a 10 million dollar offer and demanded 20 million, so it seems their water and burial grounds carry a price. Go figure...
(12-04-2016, 09:35 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: I haven't been following it very closely either, but I do know what FB posters aren't telling anyone is that this all started because the native American council turned down a 10 million dollar offer and demanded 20 million, so it seems their water and burial grounds carry a price. Go figure...

Bingo!
(12-04-2016, 09:35 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: I haven't been following it very closely either, but I do know what FB posters aren't telling anyone is that this all started because the native American council turned down a 10 million dollar offer and demanded 20 million, so it seems their water and burial grounds carry a price. Go figure...

Where are you getting this information and what's the context, Gunnar? I'm curious to look into it.