Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
STOP & FRISK
(09-23-2016, 09:11 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: Only if its a lady cop or Zombie/Guardian Angel Lady Cop(too soon?).

Or one of the vagrants from the Village People.
(09-23-2016, 09:37 PM)sally Wrote:
(09-23-2016, 09:11 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: Only if its a lady cop or Zombie/Guardian Angel Lady Cop(too soon?).

Or one of the vagrants from the Village People.

No. Y C Men's Ass?
This will be us someday....

When a bomb goes off or a riot is going on frisking and stopping everyone is essential. I would have no problem getting stopped and frisked. I'm not doing anything wrong though. I also believe in profiling, the only problem with that is the mind set of the ones doing the profiling although I do it constantly all day. If I see things that look out of place and out of the norm I will keep an eye on whoever it is, more people should pay better attention and not go dilly dopping through life oblivious to their surroundings today, especially in crowded areas.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
It surprises me that you would have no problem walking in your own community, doing nothing wrong, and getting stopped and frisked without cause, Maggot.

That's the policy that was used in NYC, where 75% of those stopped and frisked were black and other minorities. Most of the 800,000+ subject to that unconstitutional policing policy annually were found to be doing nothing wrong.

However, the vast majority of the 25% who were deemed 'criminal' were found to be in possession of marijuana or something minor like that and had their lives interrupted with fines, job-limiting criminal records, and mandatory incarceration. While it was certainly a big revenue stream for the city and provided job security for cops, it was also total bullshit and a violation of people's civil liberties, in my humble opinion. No probable cause, no detainment and search -- that's how I think it should work when people are simply going about their lives in their own communities.

When non-cause community/street Stop & Frisk was deemed unconstitutional and discriminatory by a federal court, the NYPD stopped. The violent crime rates did not go up and the city was no less safe, according to statistics and Commissioner Bill Bratton.

I don't object to everyone being subject to searches at large events, airports, and such. And, I don't object to the NSA sampling all American's technology records with the limited focus of quashing terrorism before it happens. That's not profiling and that's not the community/street Stop & Frisk policy Trump is advocating making nationwide (well, that's what he first said; after he got backlash, he said he meant it should be implemented in Chicago).

I have very mixed feelings about it. I want to be safe but I don't want people stopped simply because of how they look and for what they are wearing and you know that will happen. That's a general "you". I don't trust that to not get out of hand. I just know many of the people stopped would have as much right to be there as I would.

Monsters can look all American.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I was wrong or outdated about 75% of NY residents who were stopped and frisked being in no violation of any law; that was actually the case 90% of the time between 2010 and 2012.

Of the 10% that were in some violation and fined or arrested, most were in possession of marijuana or some other drug.

Only .016% of the time were the stopped-and-frisked community members found to be carrying a weapon (which was claimed to be the primary objective when the policy was implemented).

I can see how some people believe that even so, the policy may have deterred people from carrying weapons around and thus reduced crime. It's possible. But, there were periods when violent crime dropped when the number of stop and frisks dropped. And, there have been periods where violent crime increased when the number of stop and frisks dropped. There's no solid proven correlation between the two.

Stats and refs:
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/20...ays-nyclu/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/03...03496.html
http://www.theatlantic.com/national/arch...er/359666/
(09-24-2016, 04:12 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: It surprises me that you would have no problem walking in your own community, doing nothing wrong, and getting stopped and frisked without cause, Maggot.

If there was a riot or a bombing in my neighborhood I would be pissed if they didn't stop me or anyone else running from it or even being around it. In a neighborhood riddled with crime it should be the status quo.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(09-24-2016, 09:34 PM)Maggot Wrote:
(09-24-2016, 04:12 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: It surprises me that you would have no problem walking in your own community, doing nothing wrong, and getting stopped and frisked without cause, Maggot.

If there was a riot or a bombing in my neighborhood I would be pissed if they didn't stop me or anyone else running from it or even being around it. In a neighborhood riddled with crime it should be the status quo.

Well, there would be probable cause to stop people running from a riot or a bombing, so that's not the issue.

In neighborhood's riddled with crime, Stop and Frisk is already in place. Only now, police officers are required to document their probable cause and thus the number of people being searched has greatly declined. I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with the previous Stop & Frisk policies in NYC, L.A. and other major cities where officers used the policy to stop and frisk people (the vast majority being minorities who were doing nothing suspicious), hoping to find something, anything, so they could meet their arrest quotas and generate revenue for the city. Those fishing expeditions were unconstitutional.

Anyway, if you think people living in areas riddled with crime should be searched unconstitutionally (based only on where they happen to live), you better hope that areas riddled with white dudes who bury guns in the ground in case they need to use them against the government, like to smoke weed even though it's illegal in their state, benefit from public works and government services but resent paying taxes and all that jazz, don't end up on the profile list if such a policy is implemented nationwide. I think you might mind more than you think.

I thought Obama was supposed to take all the scared, white dudes guns. Are you telling me he didn't? Are you saying it never happened?! After all that angst and snot slinging it never came to be? Whatta surprise!
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]