Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
How old is your boss?
It should not make any difference what the factors are, age or sex, as long as the "boss" is competent, trustworthy, plays by the rules.

And of course has/uses proper management skills, you should be able to work for him/her.

So here's the problem, I have a friend (excellent at her specialized job) who was working for her supervisor (also a woman) for over thirty years. Now that supvisor has retired, and instead of her getting promoted as her replacement, the company transferred a woman from another division to fill the vacancy.

The woman is "28" years old, so my friend is somewhat put off being supervised by someone half her age, and no experience in the specialized job.

Is she wrong to be upset?
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

I don't think your friend is wrong to be upset. It's understandable, especially if your friend actually wanted and made a bid for the job and felt she was the best-qualified.

But, I'm not assuming that just because her new boss is young and has less seniority that she's not better qualified to meet the company's goals -- not enough information.

My boss is in her early 50s, and supposedly quite the chatter box!
My current boss is in her 50's. My previous boss was in her early 30's. The difference between the two is night and day. The younger one was a real go getter and just kind of let me do my own thing unless I missed a deadline or failed to communicate. The older one is more laid back and frankly, passive aggressive in her management style. She should get to know her before she passes judgement.
(09-26-2016, 09:27 AM)Carsman Wrote: The woman is "28" years old, so my friend is somewhat put off being supervised by someone half her age, and no experience in the specialized job.

That really sucks for your friend. In essence, she is going to have to 'train' her own boss to do the specialized job.

If your friend has been working there for over 30 years, maybe the company thinks she's going to retire soon, too?

Mine is a senior. I've been with her for years but I resisted her for a good 5 years until she made an offer I would have been foolish to refuse. I didn't want to for a woman and I only knew her socially, I didn't know what she would be like to work with. It's been fantastic, I love her to pieces. She gives me free reign.

Cars, I don't think your friend is wrong. I can only go by what you posted.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(09-26-2016, 12:07 PM)cannongal Wrote:
(09-26-2016, 09:27 AM)Carsman Wrote: The woman is "28" years old, so my friend is somewhat put off being supervised by someone half her age, and no experience in the specialized job.

That really sucks for your friend. In essence, she is going to have to 'train' her own boss to do the specialized job.

If your friend has been working there for over 30 years, maybe the company thinks she's going to retire soon, too?

Getting near retirement, that's a valid point, however, my friend was not planning on retireing for another 8 to 10 years. Now she is considering moving up that time table. Maybe that was the managagement's intent.
And You're right, my friend is "training her own boss". I'm afraid after she trains her new boss, they will let my friend go.

My bosses are all male. One is my age, the other two are in their fifties. 2 of them just started as supervisors shortly after I started. So depending on how well I did on the supervisor test I doubt I'm going to replace them. I'll get a job at another location.
My boss is 34. I like her a lot but she's a bit of a micro manager and that irritates me.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
(09-26-2016, 09:10 PM)ramseycat Wrote: My boss is 34. I like her a lot but she's a bit of a micro manager and that irritates me.

My bosses have a great dynamic like Spock, McCoy, and Kirk. One I nicknamed Darth Vader(the serious and more professional one who can be a big old softie), Italian Stallion(is the office clown and ladies man, sneezes like every five minutes, plays on a baseball team), and The Neurotic Nerd(Into a lot of the same weird and nerdy stuff as me, a bit more hyperactive). Oh and the office manager which is I guess also my boss...Italian Stallion Two(even more of a jokester than the original).
(09-26-2016, 06:48 PM)Carsman Wrote: Getting near retirement, that's a valid point, however, my friend was not planning on retireing for another 8 to 10 years. Now she is considering moving up that time table. Maybe that was the managagement's intent.
And You're right, my friend is "training her own boss". I'm afraid after she trains her new boss, they will let my friend go.

The Company that my father works for did something similar last year.
They brought in all young people, forced the 'elders' to train them, and then made life miserable until all the old timers (including my father) retired. My father said it was because the company could pay the younger ones about half the salary they were paying the old timers.

What the company did not plan for was that the "fresh new employees" didn't give a rats ass about the company, they have no work ethic. My father has been called back as a consultant several times since he retired. He's had to go in and straighten out screw ups, smooth things over with customers, & retrain people several times.

They pay him big bucks now to go in and fix all the fuck ups.
My boss is a bit of a set in his ways , stubborn, cranky old bastard. He'll be fifty shortly. Sometimes we get along, other times I feel I could strangle him..
(09-27-2016, 03:38 AM)cannongal Wrote:
(09-26-2016, 06:48 PM)Carsman Wrote: Getting near retirement, that's a valid point, however, my friend was not planning on retireing for another 8 to 10 years. Now she is considering moving up that time table. Maybe that was the managagement's intent.

The Company that my father works for did something similar last year.
They brought in all young people, forced the 'elders' to train them, and then made life miserable until all the old timers (including my father) retired. My father said it was because the company could pay the younger ones about half the salary they were paying the old timers.

What the company did not plan for was that the "fresh new employees" didn't give a rats ass about the company, they have no work ethic. My father has been called back as a consultant several times since he retired. He's had to go in and straighten out screw ups, smooth things over with customers, & retrain people several times.

They pay him big bucks now to go in and fix all the fuck ups.

The company I worked for (where my friend still works) started doing the same thing even while I was still there. However, since I was a Department mgr, I was the one who was directed by the Co. President to do that nasty make them miserable job. That was the worst part of my job, and I hated it to no end!
I hated it so much, I moved up my retirement time table by two years, maybe that was their intent.

After retirement, I too was called back by the company to be a consultant, several times. And each and every time I turned them down. I didn't like working there any longer!
(Retirement is good, working is bad.)

(09-27-2016, 08:28 AM)Carsman Wrote: (Retirement is good, working is bad.)

My Dad only does it to get away from his wife (his fourth wife, no less hah ) She's an old Italian bitch that likes to nag.

My dad's not the easiest guy to live with, lol
Retirement sounded good last year but now my 401k is 100% matched so I'm getting greedy, not ready to cash out just yet.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(09-27-2016, 12:27 PM)Maggot Wrote: Retirement sounded good last year but now my 401k is 100% matched so I'm getting greedy, not ready to cash out just yet.

401k? I had that, but now I'm getting a pension when I retire. All I had to do was change to Tier 4(from my Tax and Finance job) and pay about $650 for after service credits(because I only worked at Tax and Finance for about 6 months).
(09-27-2016, 08:58 AM)cannongal Wrote:
(09-27-2016, 08:28 AM)Carsman Wrote: (Retirement is good, working is bad.)

My Dad only does it to get away from his wife (his fourth wife, no less hah ) She's an old Italian bitch that likes to nag.

My dad's not the easiest guy to live with, lol

Smiley_emoticons_biggrin