Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Missing: Annie Schmidt
A girl left on a Sunday to go hiking. She was planning a camping trip with her mom the following week. Her mom showed up on Wednesday to her daughers house in which her roommate replied, "I thought you two had already left!"

The response we keep hearing from the parents is "She is probably not alive"

I am not sure when the mom said this, but the way the media makes it appear is that she said it right away.

The girl's car was found at the trail head and it was broken into, but no foul play is suspected.

: (

Sad story.

NEAR THE BONNEVILLE DAM, Ore. (KOIN) — The sixth day of a search for Annie Schmidt brought more than 150 volunteers to work with search-and-rescue crews near the Bonneville Dam in the Columbia River Gorge.

Her parents, Michelle and Jon Schmidt, were among those searching for the 21-year-old hiker who recently moved to Portland from Utah. Michelle Schmidt, though, believes this is now a recovery mission.

“I don’t think she’s still alive. I don’t think she’s survived,” Michelle Schmidt told KOIN 6 News. “Honestly, that brings me comfort knowing she is with her Heavenly Father, that she’s not hurting, that she’s not suffering. But we do want to find her body.”

She was last seen on October 16, and reported missing on Wednesday by her mother. The 21-year-old’s car was found Thursday off exit 40 on I-84 EB near the Bonneville Dam in the Columbia River Gorge. PPB Sgt. Pete Simpson said her car appeared to have been broken into, but it’s unclear what was stolen.

http://koin.com/2016/10/22/150-volunteer...-in-gorge/
Maybe another nut case that went off screaming into the night.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
It sounds like Annie was a real adventure-seeker and got lost or hurt camping out in the Gorge by herself. Sad.

[Image: 39990CBF00000578-3863532-image-m-28_1477188204316.jpg]

I hope Annie ^ turns up alive, or at least that her body is recovered soon. But, it's being reported that the area was searched and searched and searched. Needle in a haystack.

I think her parents are probably just being realistic about the chances of her surviving several days and cold nights, away from her tent and supplies, and preparing themselves for the worst.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...inues.html
(10-26-2016, 11:53 AM)Maggot Wrote: Maybe another nut case that went off screaming into the night.
[Image: GREATPUMPKIN.jpg]

This kind of thing can happen when one falls under the spell of the
"Great Pumpkin".
(10-26-2016, 01:17 AM)Love Child Wrote: Sad story.

Yes, it is, very.

Her Dad called off the search today. I can't even begin to imagine the horror of having your child missing. I can't wrap my head around it.

“We are moved beyond words by the thousands who have searched, prayed for and helped our effort for Annie in any way,” Schmidt was quoted as saying in a post on Facebook. “At this time, out of consideration to so many out-of-state people involved in the search, the Schmidts have set a conclusion time of Wednesday afternoon so travel arrangements can be planned accordingly.”

Story
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
There is a kid here that during the Sunday night rain storm was out walking in the downpour and fell into a storm drain. His body washed out into the river and they found him the next day. Nobody even knew he was missing until his body was found the next day just bobbing along. He was 19 I believe.

My point is that maybe the parents knew how ditzy she was and realized that this time was different. Maybe more will come out later. Do kids even have a clue today?
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I don't see anything pointing to her being ditzy. I do see carlessness in the fact that her roommate didn't have a clue, she looks likt the ditzy one. People should always leave a plan behind when they are going out on trails, even if it is just a note they leave in their room saying this is my plan.

I wonder why no one suspects a kidnapping.
From the OP article, LE was able to trace Annie's last stops that day from her bank records. I imagine they viewed surveillance video and/or spoke with workers and witnesses at Pho and the Beaverton gas station and confirmed that she was alone and acting of her own free will after she messaged her dad that she was going hiking.

It's also possible that LE was able to confirm from road surveillance that nobody followed Annie.

That doesn't mean she couldn't have been abducted from the trail, but it doesn't appear there's any evidence of foul play at this point.

Annie's phone and some outdoor gear were found in her car at the marked Gorge trail, which is where her phone last pinged. LE says it's possible the car was later broken into, which seems a little odd (unless vandalism instead of theft was the goal).

I think it's most likely, based on the little known to the public now, that Annie went too far off the beaten path and got lost or injured and died.

But, I wouldn't be surprised if LE is investigating whether Annie suffered from depression or had some conflict in her life that she wanted to escape. It's possible that she wanted to die outdoors, or to take off and start a new life, and left the phone in the disheveled car on the marked trail to avoid putting guilt/shame on her devout Mormon parents. Her dad is kinda famous as a member of Utah's Piano Guys band. Just speculating possible lines of investigation.

Lots of possibilities. I hope the mystery is solved soon.
It is strange that she didn't take her phone with her.Kids these days ALWAYS seem to have their phone on them.
(10-31-2016, 02:20 PM)IroningBroad Wrote: It is strange that she didn't take her phone with her.Kids these days ALWAYS seem to have their phone on them.

That's for sure, the phone is like another limb for most young people (and some of us old people too). Smiley_emoticons_smile

I'm not sure if it's odd that Annie went off without her phone in this case though.

Before it was made public that the phone was found in her car, Annie's mom told the press that her daughter's phone was old and died quickly. Annie had been posting from her phone earlier the day she went missing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...inues.html
That makes sense, I had wondered the same thing also.
Shoot.
: (
That particular area is very easy to get lost in, and very easy to get hurt in. Lots of Rocky climbs and mossy, slick surfaces. Deep woods with no way to determine direction. Would not be hard to underestimate the woods and get badly turned around. Hell I did it in my own back yard out there, went for a stroll in the woods and by the time I found my way back to civilization it was a few hours later and miles down the road.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
(11-01-2016, 10:42 AM)Donovan Wrote: That particular area is very easy to get lost in, and very easy to get hurt in. Lots of Rocky climbs and mossy, slick surfaces. Deep woods with no way to determine direction. Would not be hard to underestimate the woods and get badly turned around. Hell I did it in my own back yard out there, went for a stroll in the woods and by the time I found my way back to civilization it was a few hours later and miles down the road.

It's looking like your instincts were right, Donovan -- like Annie hiked far off the beaten path into deep dense woods and fell off a cliff to her death. I'm not personally a religious person, but I appreciate that families who suffer tragic losses can sometimes draw such strength and solace from their faiths.

[Image: 3A4AD23300000578-0-image-a-13_1478933830573.jpg]
I saw this as well today.