Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Trump Tweet . . . . .
. . . . “Nobody should be allowed to burn the American flag - if they do, there must be consequences - perhaps loss of citizenship or year in jail!”
Nov. 29, 2016 on Twitter

Surprisingly:

The Supreme Court has ruled that flag burning is protected by the First Amendment. It has also said that the government may not strip Americans of their citizenship.

Therefore:

I'm with the Donald on this, I believe our military men & women who fought and died defending our country under the American flag deserves respect and should be revered and honored! Anyone disrespecting our nation's flag should face a severe consequence!
(At least some jail time, & or a $$ fine, or both)

How do you feel ?
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

They should be sent to Cuba to see how they really live. Most of these yahoos have never been to another country with as much tolerance as there is here.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
This is one of the monumental fuckups by the Supreme Court, they were completely wrong on this one.
There are some things that should be protected, same as threatening POTUS, you can go to jail for that too
(11-30-2016, 03:36 PM)Carsman Wrote: How do you feel ?

Those remarks are coming from the person who will soon take an oath to defend our constitution and flag burning is a right protected by our first amendment. I feel like it's more bullshit from the soon to be bullshitter in chief. No one has to like it, no one has to agree with it, but as Americans you better damn well support it. That's how I feel about it.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I'm with the lawmakers and veterans who fought so hard against a Constitutional amendment to ban flag burning, because freedom of dissent/speech/expression is key in a democratic society and what separates us from an authoritarian state.

It does not surprise me a bit that Donald Trump is tossing out crap like this -- more red meat for the angry and gullible.

No one ever died because a flag was burned, but plenty of people have died fighting to protect that first amendment right. Those who instinctively shit on all things American 'establishment' and on all Americans who exercise their first amendment rights in dissent...are hypocritically doing the verbal equivalent of burning a flag each time, in my opinion.

Those hypocrites who have a coronary over people exercising their first amendment rights when they don't agree with the message are often the very same people who have a coronary over just the idea that some people's second amendment rights might be more regulated or limited in any way.

Anyhow, I think the Supreme Court got it right in its ruling that flag-burning is protected by the Constitution. It's the 'PC patriots' that want to restrict free expression/speech who would likely find it most eye-opening to go live under a dictatorship.
I agree. I don't have to like it, but its there right to burn it. Its also my right to arrested for assault if I see them burning it.
Beer drinking, gun toting, Bike riding,
womanizing, sex fiend, sexist, asshole !
Don't like it? Well than F.U !!!!!!!!!
(11-30-2016, 05:49 PM)F.U. Wrote: Its also my right to arrested for assault if I see them burning it.

You'd assault someone because you didn't like what they were doing even though they have every right to do it? Wow.
Yes, burn the flag in front of me and I would knock you the fuck out.
Beer drinking, gun toting, Bike riding,
womanizing, sex fiend, sexist, asshole !
Don't like it? Well than F.U !!!!!!!!!
(11-30-2016, 03:36 PM)Carsman Wrote: . . . . “Nobody should be allowed to burn the American flag - if they do, there must be consequences - perhaps loss of citizenship or year in jail!”
Nov. 29, 2016 on Twitter

Surprisingly:

The Supreme Court has ruled that flag burning is protected by the First Amendment. It has also said that the government may not strip Americans of their citizenship.

Therefore:

I'm with the Donald on this, I believe our military men & women who fought and died defending our country under the American flag deserves respect and should be revered and honored! Anyone disrespecting our nation's flag should face a severe consequence!

How do you feel ?

Cars, I agree with you.....I hate to see the American flag disrespected, too....but (you knew that was coming), men and women died protecting our Constitution including the 1st amendment which allows freedom of speech...If we make this a crime, we start the process of censorship, etc. and replace our democracy with a dictatorship. The flag is a symbol of this freedom and thus our flag should be honored, respected and revered, but if it isn't, you won't go to jail. This doesn't mean we condone this, it is just one example of living in a free society. We are, after all, land of the free, and home of the brave......
Burning the flag is one of the most cowardly things a person could do. It shows the mentality of a fool that believes doing it will somehow strengthen their agenda when all it does is make them look like a child. Respect is not in their vocabulary and its the lazy way of protesting feigned injustice.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(11-30-2016, 06:38 PM)blueberryhill Wrote:
(11-30-2016, 03:36 PM)Carsman Wrote: . . . . “Nobody should be allowed to burn the American flag - if they do, there must be consequences - perhaps loss of citizenship or year in jail!”
Nov. 29, 2016 on Twitter

Surprisingly:

Therefore:

How do you feel ?

Cars, I agree with you.....I hate to see the American flag disrespected, too....but (you knew that was coming), men and women died protecting our Constitution including the 1st amendment which allows freedom of speech...If we make this a crime, we start the process of censorship, etc. and replace our democracy with a dictatorship. The flag is a symbol of this freedom and thus our flag should be honored, respected and revered, but if it isn't, you won't go to jail. This doesn't mean we condone this, it is just one example of living in a free society. We are, after all, land of the free, and home of the brave......

Yes bbhill, I agree with you as well.

My belief is that our military men and women died fighting in the name of our flag. And I'll bet you none of those flag burners ever fought in the name of the American flag! If they did, they likely would have/show some respect for the flag. Those flag burners are reaping their 1st amendment rights benefit from the blood, sweat, and tears of those who did fight for the right to give them that privilege.

(11-30-2016, 07:59 PM)Maggot Wrote: Burning the flag is one of the most cowardly things a person could do. It shows the mentality of a fool that believes doing it will somehow strengthen their agenda when all it does is make them look like a child. Respect is not in their vocabulary and its the lazy way of protesting feigned injustice.

Yeah it's an idiotic thing to do, get a goddamn life already.
(11-30-2016, 06:10 PM)F.U. Wrote: Yes, burn the flag in front of me and I would knock you the fuck out.

That patch on my vest that says "Try Burning This One Asshole" is not there for show.
Yes you can legally burn it and you can probably sue me for kicking your ass, but your going to have to do it from a hospital bed
Why get yourself involved with idiots, seems like you're just catering to them and in for the same entertainment.
Yet you progressives supported the HellBitch when she lied about Benghazi....

Go figure...

Glen spent his adult life defending your freedoms, but I will bet next memorial day none of you will remember him. I for one, will never forget him, and many others just like him.

Glen would be the first to defend their right to burn the flag; he understood what the Constitution stood for and died defending it.
Flag burning, like poo-pooing the National Anthem, is the lazy man's protest.

There are no real consequences with either act.

Sure . . . it's freedom of speech . . . like portraying Muhammad in a cartoon.

Or donning white sheets and marching through the streets of Skokie.

Burning a cross or rainbow flag, too.

You wanna make a statement?

Don't pay your taxes!

Deny the oppressive regime funding for their programs!

Put your Liberty on the line for your beliefs . . . man up!

Tomorrow begins a nine day commemoration of the 75th anniversary of the bombing of Pearl.

The Hawaiians take this very seriously.

I doubt this Blue state would tolerate a flag burning without someone getting a beat-down . . . haole or local.

We'll be there . . . with Obama . . . at Pearl.

My Mum remembers the bombing and asking "Where is Pearl Harbor?" to my grandparents.

And we'll be wearing Arizona shirts to honor the survivors and the dead.
(11-30-2016, 09:01 PM)Carsman Wrote: My belief is that our military men and women died fighting in the name of our flag. And I'll bet you none of those flag burners ever fought in the name of the American flag! If they did, they likely would have/show some respect for the flag. Those flag burners are reaping their 1st amendment rights benefit from the blood, sweat, and tears of those who did fight for the right to give them that privilege.

Well, at the risk of you bullying the shit outta me again........I'm gonna tell you honestly that you be wrong, man!

Some Americans have fought in wars to defend our country and its principles, and some have fought to expand our country's principles elsewhere. They were fighting for our country and its principles, not in the name of a symbolic piece of cloth.

And, there have certainly been American soldiers who burned the flag in protest, but who would never attempt to burn down the country they fought for.

I'm surprised you're not aware of Vietnam vets, for example, who burned the flag in protest of having been drafted into a war which they felt was unnecessary, wrong, and an injustice to the soldiers (the survivors, the wounded and the killed), the American people, and the Vietnamese people.

I can't imagine being compelled to burn the flag and I agree with sal that it's usually an idiotic thing to do. But, I think it would be dangerous to forbid that non-violent form of protest against the government. The idiotic flag burners can carry on flaming and the rest of us can carry on calling them idiots. There's no reason to throw them in jail or revoke their citizenship, for Christ's sake.
(11-30-2016, 06:10 PM)F.U. Wrote: Yes, burn the flag in front of me and I would knock you the fuck out.

You spent 8 years saying Obama was coming for your guns & ammo, you said your rights were being infringed upon yet you're the first in line to violently infringe on another person's rights.
(11-30-2016, 11:34 PM)pyropappy Wrote: Yet you progressives supported the HellBitch when she lied about Benghazi....

Just stop. Jesus Christ. You think those who defend someone's right to burn the flag are defending those who do it. That's not what is going on here.
There are legal rights, and then there are moral rights!

That piece of cloth represents our country, our solders fought and died for it. Legally, unfortunately, it can be burned, but morally it is just wrong, and totally disrespectful for those who sacrificed for it!