Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
THE TRUMP PRESIDENCY
* genus
Something is odd about this resignation. 
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(10-09-2018, 11:34 AM)Duchess Wrote:
(10-09-2018, 11:07 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Wow, Haley seems like she's giving Jared and Ivanka an endorsement.  I hope neither of them is appointed to fill her role at the end of the year.

ETA:  She said she's not going to run in 2020 and will instead be campaigning for Trump's re-election.  She didn't give a specific reason for her resignation, only that it's important for public officials to know when it's time to step aside.

She called Jared a hidden genius!

I heard that.  Smiley_emoticons_smile

It was very clear that Haley is looking to stay on good terms with Trump and company.  

There's speculation that Haley wants out of the administration and might want to run for Republican Senator before (or instead of) running for President.  I don't know if that's true, but it makes sense.
(10-09-2018, 12:09 PM)Duchess Wrote: Something is odd about this resignation. 

It was odd to me that Trump chose to make it a joint public announcement months ahead of her departure date.

Then, when Haley gave a full-throated endorsement of President Trump and praised Jared and Ivanka, it occurred to me it might be really smart political strategy on the part of the administration.

I can imagine mid-term ads for Republican congresspersons featuring clips of Haley's remarks today.  She's managed to maintain the support of establishment Republicans while gaining the respect of Trump Republicans.  

And, the Republicans could really use the support of high-profile women who female voters generally seem to respect. 

That's just my speculation.
(10-09-2018, 12:24 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: it occurred to me it might be really smart political strategy on the part of the administration.

I can imagine mid-term ads for Republican congresspersons featuring clips of Haley's remarks today.  She's managed to maintain the support of establishment Republicans while gaining the respect of Trump Republicans.  

And, the Republicans could really use the support of high-profile women who female voters generally seem to respect. 

That's just my speculation.

This ^^^^^^ I can understand. It was the stroking of Jared & Ivanka, the over the top compliments. I was left feeling it all was staged and I think there is something we don't know. Meh, maybe it's just because I have zero trust where this administration is concerned.
So..Ryan Zinke is opening up public lands for oil & gas drilling but not in his home state where he just signed a ban on new drilling. Bastard. I'd like to nail him with a fuckin' brick.
Yeah, the Jared and Ivanka comments seemed out of place.

That's why I wonder if maybe Trump is considering filling the UN Ambassador position with one of them.

I can see Haley making a deal to praise Trump and the Kushners ahead of the mid-terms if that's the case, in return for Trump's endorsement if she decides to run for another political office during his time as President.

Or, maybe she just genuinely believes everything she said and for some reason felt like today's resignation announcement was the appropriate venue? That's possible, but seems less likely to me.
There's a bot on twitter that keeps track of Trump family "likes". I know, it sounds creepy and obsessive. Anyway, it showed a ton of likes and follows by Ivanka for government agency accounts, leading some people to guess she's prepping for her new job.

Think of all the contacts she can make to expand her clothing line into new countries..
Sally, the flaming asshole of MockForums
[Image: xzwbrP0.png]
(10-09-2018, 11:00 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Nikki Haley is reportedly resigning from her position as U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations.  

[Image: 180619-nikki-haley-un-ew-112p_fb6cb58dc3...t-760w.jpg]

I think she is getting out before she is tainted with the Trump administration.
(10-09-2018, 07:25 PM)Rootilda Wrote: There's a bot on twitter that keeps track of Trump family "likes". I know, it sounds creepy and obsessive. Anyway, it showed a ton of likes and follows by Ivanka for government agency accounts, leading some people to guess she's prepping for her new job.

Think of all the contacts she can make to expand her clothing line into new countries..

Yup, creepy as fuck, but hardly surprising.
(10-09-2018, 07:25 PM)Rootilda Wrote: There's a bot on twitter that keeps track of Trump family "likes".  I know, it sounds creepy and obsessive.  Anyway, it showed a ton of likes and follows by Ivanka for government agency accounts, leading some people to guess she's prepping for her new job.  

Yesterday Ivanka Trump issued a public statement that she was not going to replace Nikki Haley.  She made the statement after President Trump told reporters that no one would be more competent than she.  

That doesn't mean it won't happen; they issue a lot of denials that later turn out to be false.  But, according to news reporting,  it seems Dina Powell is the most likely candidate at present.

Powell, who was born in Egypt, returned to Goldman Sachs as a member of the management committee after serving as Trump's deputy national security adviser for strategy during most of the president's first year in office.

Under President George W. Bush, Powell was head of White House personnel, and later she was assistant secretary of state for Educational and Cultural Affairs.  https://www.axios.com/dina-powell-nikki-...5ff64.html

(10-10-2018, 01:26 AM)ZEROSPHERES Wrote: I think she is getting out before she is tainted with the Trump administration.

Yeah, that could be all or part of her reason.  There's a lot of speculation in circulation regarding the timing of Haley's resignation.  

I've read that there were ethics complaint filed against her on Monday (accepting free jet rides); she and her husband are burdened with huge debt and she can make way more money in the private sector; she's got another political gig in mind, etc.
[Image: 104888270-RTS1EAA1.530x298.jpg?v=1512759811]

Dina Powell ^ was at the top of the short list of candidates to fill the 'glamorous' UN Ambassador role when Nikki Haley departs at the end of the year.

President Trump confirmed on Wednesday that Powell was a definite possibility, that she'd done a great job in her short stint as Deputy National Security Advisor, and that she'd love to return to the administration.

Yesterday, Powell said, 'thank you, but no thank you' to returning to the Trump administration.  She's staying at her executive position with Goldman Sachs.
I can't say that I blame her, she makes more money with less hassle there.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
President Trump is doing a great job in terms of negotiating hostage returns, I gotta say.

He's facilitated the return of 17 Americans thus far.

[Image: 1052064716.jpg.0.jpg]

^ The latest is evangelical Christian Pastor Andrew Brunson, who was detained in Turkey for more than two years.

The pastor was arrested along with thousands of others after a failed 2016 coup attempt, and was accused of aiding the movement against Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Brunson had lived in Turkey for 23 years and was imprisoned a month before the 2016 election. His wife Norine Lyn was briefly imprisoned but released before Election Day.

The pastor’s detainment had created a huge rift between the two NATO allies. Trump had placed sanctions on two high-ranking Turkish officials and tariffs on Ankara’s steel and aluminum sectors because the country wouldn’t release Brunson.

Trump said the timing of the release of Brunson had nothing to do with the current situation involving missing Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi and the resultant tension between the U.S., Turkey, and Saudi Arabia.

Shortly after his return yesterday, Brunson said a prayer and then said, “I really want to thank the administration,”  at a televised meeting with Trump at the White House. “You really fought for us, unusually so. From the time you took office, I know that you’ve been engaged.”

Ref: https://www.vox.com/2018/10/13/17973410/...urkey-vote
He has made new friends with the head guys in all the problematic countries.
And the head girls.
(10-14-2018, 11:38 PM)Rootilda Wrote: He has made new friends with the head guys in all the problematic countries.

That's true.  Nonetheless, I'm always happy when American hostages are released and returned in seemingly good health, even the evangelical Christian ones.  Smiley_emoticons_wink

Credit where due.

Anyway, my brief period of appreciation for President Trump has passed since having watched 60 Minutes tonight.  

Incredible display of ignorance, evasiveness, and juvenile mentality.

He told interviewer Leslie Stahl, "I'm not a baby" twice. He also told her "I'm President and you're not".
President Trump's remarks about climate change were among the most ignorant of his 60 Minutes interview, to me.

It's very dangerous and irresponsible for a world leader to be so uninformed and in denial of science and how it relates to the increasingly severe natural disasters we're experiencing right now, much less have no concern regarding indicators that it will be worsening significantly in only 20 years.

[Image: DpgiIQgUYAAqg2X.jpg:large]
No, no it won't go back and a thousand scientific and military experts tell us so.  

Anyway, Trump was also asked about Russia, Saudi Arabia, our allies, NATO, North Korea, Justice Kavanaugh...

Here's the full transcript and video clips:  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trum...018-10-14/
Fake weather.
I just read that he admitted to slandering Dr Ford at a rally so he could help KavaNaw "win".