Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Furniture Refinishing
Not that anyone gives a fuck but years ago, I did some furniture refinishing and I've taken it up again lately.

I was at a hoity-toity furniture store that was having a floor sale and way in the back (in their rejects section) was a coffee table that had nicks, scratches etc. The sticker price on it was $2890. The sales lady gave it to me for $400.

So, here it is today. When I bought it, the outer edge was almost ebony stained/varnished and the inner rectangle was a medium dark brownish/red color, varnished. I repeated "varnished" because that fucking table did NOT want to let go of it's colors. I started with my electric sander and finally gave in and used a chemical stripper (I don't think I'll ever try to sand down a finish again--as messy as chemical strippers are). Anyway, I'm thinking about what colors I might use to stain it now (after I run some 220 paper over it). I'm leaning towards almost what it was before, just changing the ebony to a very dark brown, (the colors that it was before worked well in our new living room so I don't think I'm going to veer too far from that).

Here's my question. I can refinish wood but the hell if I know what type of wood this is. 50 I'm trying to edumacate myself on wood species, recognizing solid woods versus anything with a veneer etc. So I was wondering if any of you could name that wood. Clearly the border is different than the inside. Knowing the species isn't mandatory necessarily but I should know it so I know how it will take the stain, age, color changes that might occur etc. Halp??

[Image: tablefinish1_zpshun6wf3m.jpg]

[Image: tablefinish2_zpsjluzdjxi.jpg]

Once I do the final sanding, I can't WAIT to slap some stain on it (although it's freaking raining until probably March and I'd rather not stain it in these conditions). We'll see. What is it? Tell me now assholes!

P.S. In the event you don't see it in the pics, the outer border is grayish with not a lot of grain but what looks like little nail holes here and there. The inner part is a yellow/red and I think you can see the significant thick/sort of splotchy grain in that.
Commando Cunt Queen
It occurred to me that the tiny holes were probably some insect when it was a tree.

I also remembered I have some dings to fill before I sand etc. I use the regular wood filler that's supposedly "sandable and stainable". The stainable part is meh. I'd take suggestions there. If nothing else, I'm going to change brands.
Commando Cunt Queen
Looking at the grain, I'm quite confident it is NOT Natalie or Petrified.

It's obvious it's not James.

Don't fill.
Ash or basswood frame with an oak veneer? Its not oak..........veneer. look up grain patterns dimbulb.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I feel like I'm talking to myself but WTF. I just took a look at the underside of the piece. I knew it was some brown color but I didn't/don't plan on staining that so I've largely ignored that but wow. The center is a really pretty medium brown (almost no red) and the outside is about 2 shades darker. I didn't have time then but I must study this. It looks entirely different than the top did but very warm. A dark chocolate and that medium brown on the bottom would likely work in our room too. Hmmm.
Commando Cunt Queen
Maggot!!! I'm confused (not unusual). Why would it be a veneer? Is that why the bottom looks different? I was told it was solid wood and I'd kind of expect that at the price.

I sanded a piece down to white once--THAT I knew was a veneer. Besides the chemicals, I've sanded this piece too. A lot! No white there.

One things fir sure. I need to study the forest, not just one tree.
Commando Cunt Queen
(02-02-2017, 05:01 PM)BlueTiki Wrote: Looking at the grain, I'm quite confident it is NOT Natalie or Petrified.

It's obvious it's not James.

Don't fill.

hah

Wood u just stop??
Commando Cunt Queen
I'm a knotty girl.

I went out on a limb to confess this truth.

Is the center top not flush or is it just the picture?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Ash frame with a Mahogany veneer top. Paint the frame and stain the top.
(02-02-2017, 05:42 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Is the center top not flush or is it just the picture?

Whoa, I didn't notice that but yes, it's the picture.
Commando Cunt Queen
(02-02-2017, 06:02 PM)BigMark Wrote: Ash frame with a Mahogany veneer top. Paint the frame and stain the top.

There's that v word again. 52

I'm really showing what I don't know but now that you mention it, that ebony border may well have been painted previously. The finish on the whole piece was so thick...I just don't know. There IS an ebony colored stain so I ASSumed the whole thing was stained.

It's probably a good thing it's raining and I've been too busy to jump in and start putting color on this thing. I want spectacular results, dammit.

All kinds of choices (including beautiful, deep browns) for painting the border.
Commando Cunt Queen

Veneer accepts chalk paint beautifully if that's ever an interest to you and there is no prep.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
The pattern repeats itself in the grain unlike a natural solid piece of wood that would have some variation and would have to be 100 feet tall to make a board that big.
User:

It is hard to tell grain pattern from the picture (for me) but if you google "photos of wood grains," I think you might find a match or close to it.

Also the top looks like it is layers which to me, looks like laminate where they glue layers of faux wood. I am probably wrong, but google like I said...there are some photos that are close to your picture....I think the colors you use should coordinate with the rest of your woods and decor......
(02-02-2017, 06:47 PM)blueberryhill Wrote: User:

It is hard to tell grain pattern from the picture (for me) but if you google "photos of wood grains," I think you might find a match or close to it.

Don't accidentally google "photos of wood groins" you might not like what you see.

(sorry. I can't help myself. wordplay)
(02-02-2017, 06:38 PM)BigMark Wrote: The pattern repeats itself in the grain unlike a natural solid piece of wood that would have some variation and would have to be 100 feet tall to make a board that big.

WIDE
(02-02-2017, 06:38 PM)BigMark Wrote: The pattern repeats itself in the grain unlike a natural solid piece of wood that would have some variation and would have to be 100 feet tall to make a board that big.

Shhhhh.........she's thinking.

Also the top looks like it is layers which to me, looks like laminate where they glue layers of faux wood. I am probably wrong, but google like I said...there are some photos that are close to your picture....I think the colors you use should coordinate with the rest of your woods and decor......

Oh stop.............you suck at this. Stick with "colors"
(02-02-2017, 08:24 PM)Maggot Wrote:

Oh stop.............you suck at this. Stick with "colors"

And who made you the King of Wood? I had to do a lot of research when i remodeled house in Estes Park and i looked at every type of wood known to mankind from engineered, laminate, blah, blah.......and I had to choose grains, color, thickness, layers of any faux wood, e.g., I choices of thickness on the engineered woods....i know all the pros and cons and I chose thickness i thought would be best for my purpose...the thickness you order determines approx how many times you can refinish floor....I would have gone for more thickness, but it was too costly. When you do something yourself, you get educated on that particular project so don't tell me I suck, sonny boy, unless you can find facts that prove otherwise.......also, I know the pros and cons of installing the different type of

floors (I was installing wood floors), cost, sub-flooring required depending on type of foundation. Now, go chop some wood.......