Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Furniture Refinishing
I love the Estes Park area!

Speedy recovery . . . Knocking on wood, for you, BBH.
Yeah I know, "my that looks good in the sunlight" "wow! I wonder what that smells like" " a nice crocheted blanket would look nice on that" ........No concept of how to cut a piece of wood or attach the pieces together. A "design only" mindset. I've seen a ton of them, no clue on anything mechanically sound or of any spacial context. Just "I want that and that's that". Geez! Explain the term "revel" in any type of design concept sugar.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(02-02-2017, 08:47 PM)BlueTiki Wrote: I love the Estes Park area!

Speedy recovery . . . Knocking on wood, for you, BBH.

Aw....thanks, Tiki....I will live, but it is somewhat painful....yes, I loved my home in the mountains and would still be there if not for the fact that I smoked for so long and damaged my lungs.

i think about you and your niece and hope things are improving in the family.....
(02-02-2017, 08:51 PM)Maggot Wrote: Yeah I know, "my that looks good in the sunlight" "wow! I wonder what that smells like" " a nice crocheted blanket would look nice on that" ........No concept of how to cut a piece of wood or attach the pieces together. A "design only" mindset. I've seen a ton of them, no clue on anything mechanically sound or of any spacial context. Just "I want that and that's that". Geez! Explain the term "revel" in any type of design concept sugar.

well, i assume revel is a form of bevel. how many times do i have to tell you that i had to research the wear, tear, installation, durability, reliability, hardness of wood, (no wise cracks), etc...i do more than design, you fool......
(02-02-2017, 08:56 PM)blueberryhill Wrote: i think about you and your niece and hope things are improving in the family.....

Thanks for your thoughts.

Nope. Full on snowflake who wants nothing to do with me at the moment.

Never realized how much hate she has for heteros and men . . . heterophobic and misandristic.

Very sad.

My brother told me something that might explain some of her attitude against me while we were in Hawaii.

He said she took offense when I stated I had no immediate plans on returning to Japan, due to their treatment of women . . . and the fact I questioned if she could accept this attitude while she lived there.

I guess she was counting on me to be the one taking her on her maiden voyage.

Remember . . . she's a Japanese and German language student.

She can find another travel partner easily enough.

And it's a "no go" for Alaska . . . her choice.

So . . . I've purchased a Brietbart cap, T and mug for her graduation gifts.

And a used copy of "The Art of the Deal".

Better than Pajama Grams! hah
(02-02-2017, 09:01 PM)blueberryhill Wrote:
(02-02-2017, 08:51 PM)Maggot Wrote: Yeah I know, "my that looks good in the sunlight" "wow! I wonder what that smells like" " a nice crocheted blanket would look nice on that" ........No concept of how to cut a piece of wood or attach the pieces together. A "design only" mindset. I've seen a ton of them, no clue on anything mechanically sound or of any spacial context. Just "I want that and that's that". Geez! Explain the term "revel" in any type of design concept sugar.

well, i assume revel is a form of bevel. how many times do i have to tell you that i had to research the wear, tear, installation, durability, reliability, hardness of wood, (no wise cracks), etc...i do more than design, you fool......

So, you being the one that has as much experience as you do cannot say what a "revel" is in woodworking? I'm floored B.H. . . just floored I tell ya. Sorry for the spaces there, my cat just walked across my keyboard (tee-hee)
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(02-02-2017, 08:43 PM)blueberryhill Wrote: And who made you the King of Wood?

Well he does have a penis so....

But I'm sure you know a bit about wood too so no need to fight over it.
It is NOT laminate but I can see the grain pattern repeating.

Just for the hell of it, I took some photos of the underside. The border on that is either stained brown or has just a light coat of paint because I can clearly see grain.The bottom center looks pretty. I wonder if I could just flip that part over, lol.

I'll post the pics later.
Commando Cunt Queen
I used to have a large space at an antique mall selling mostly furniture and did my own refinishing on wood pieces crazy people had painted. I didn't make much money but it was fun and I learned a lot. Even got a few nice pieces for myself.
(02-02-2017, 10:32 PM)BigMark Wrote: I used to have a large space at an antique mall selling mostly furniture and did my own refinishing on wood pieces crazy people had painted. I didn't make much money but it was fun and I learned a lot. Even got a few nice pieces for myself.

My first husband yearsssssssssss ago was a carpenter. He brought home several gems that had been painted. He stripped the rocking chair; my first piece was a cedar chest with a price tag in it dated 1914. Of course I still have both. The cedar chest turned out beautiful and I don't recall asking my husband for much help if any. Dumb luck.
Commando Cunt Queen
Here are some of my favorite pieces.
Mahogany Tilt Top Table
[Image: P1010592.jpg]

Flame Mahogany Coal scuttle

[Image: P1010685.jpg]

Big ass solid piece of Black Walnut at the Sam Maloof wood room 12' x 3.5' x 3''? Value?

[Image: 3aeeac6d-58d4-468f-a07a-02daf420096d_zpskixqtnl7.jpg]
Okay, last bit of fodder for those of you with suggestions/comments.

First, I think I posted the list price of the piece as $2800+. Found this when I turned the table on the side. I can't stop patting myself on the back for getting such a fabulous deal. 33

[Image: tablebottom1_zpskuvqokzt.jpg]

Second, this is the bottom of the table. I don't know what it demonstrates (as I said, the brown on the outside is either a very light coat of paint or a stain...I can see the grain through it. I like both colors (of the bottom) but I wouldn't try to replicate them on top. Not interesting enough IMO.

[Image: tablebottom2_zpsi8cjdj13.jpg]

Finally, I know the table was made by Hickory Chair Furniture. I found this pic online that looks like it might well be my table. After the picture, I put in their description of the make up of the piece.

If any of that sparks any new suggestions...spill 'em.

[Image: tableonline_zpsl7gitlz8.jpg]

Description
The Hutton Made To Measure Cocktail Height Table is part of a series that is made to order in four heights ranging from cocktail, to side table, dining/desk and console heights and ranging in sizes from 16 by 16-inches to 52 x 72-inches. Crafted in solid maple with your choice of ash, beeswing primavera, cherry, mahogany or maple inset top. The grain direction will run parallel with the longest side of the table. The chamfered, tapered posts are topped by a metal collar available in your choice of Antique Brass, Antique Bronze or Antique Silver finish. Select from dozens of paint and stain finish options. Shown in optional Weathered Mineral finish with Antique Brass collars. Shown at right, in White finish, Antique Brass collars and with Greek Key hand decoration in Silver from our Artist Studio.
Dimensions
Overall:
19"h x 16"-72"w x 16"-52"d
48cm h x 41cm -183cm w x 41cm -132cm d
Standard Features
Finish:
Dark Walnut

P.S. Maybe why I like the bottom so much is the description says it's crafted of "solid maple"? I like the simplicity of maple and I guess that's what I'm seeing on the bottom....right? Shame.

I could see putting a light coat of paint on the border and yeah, staining the center. Not sure of the colors yet but I'm NOT going to varnish the hell out of the thing like it was. It was ridiculously thick (and shiny).

If it turns out well, I'll post pics. Smiley_emoticons_smile
Commando Cunt Queen
Next time you tilt it put cardboard under the whole side. A sponge won't save it.
THANK YOU FOR POT SMOKING
(02-03-2017, 03:41 AM)Som Yung Ho Wrote: Next time you tilt it put cardboard under the whole side. A sponge won't save it.

I've carried that sucker in and out of the garage several times. My "strategy" is to pick it up length wise and carry it from the bottom in. Last time I was bringing it in, I'd had a shitty day, I was stressed and I was in no shape to carry that thing. However, I picked it up in my usual manner from the driveway, heading towards the garage. Next thing you know, I'm semi-running as the weight is getting to be too much. When I hit the garage entrance, the table started going down with me on top of it. I road that sucker like a surfboard for a good 3-4 ft till we came to a halt.

I was sure I must have snapped at least one if not both front legs but they don't even wiggle (thank u baby jeebus).

Anyway asshole, the stupid thing is fine on it's side and it's inspiring me. I'm thinking about doing the opposite of what it was...a dark walnut stain on the interior with a slightly lighter brown border.

I think that would be purty.

Either that or similar to the picture above. I thought two browns fairly close in depth would be boring but I like that pic.

ETA: opinions on the color scheme, unlike those of baldy above, would be welcome. Smiley_emoticons_smile
Commando Cunt Queen
I think you should stick it up your ass.
Sideways!
(02-03-2017, 02:18 PM)sally Wrote: I think you should stick it up your ass.

Lazy, fat, fucking hausfrau. Have you decided between knitting and pottery for that "hobby" you were looking for? Or is it still just gaining weight?
Commando Cunt Queen
(02-03-2017, 02:20 PM)BigMark Wrote: Sideways!

If the coffee table fits, faggot.
Commando Cunt Queen
Then spin around.
THANK YOU FOR POT SMOKING
(02-03-2017, 02:27 PM)username Wrote:
(02-03-2017, 02:18 PM)sally Wrote: I think you should stick it up your ass.

Lazy, fat, fucking hausfrau. Have you decided between knitting and pottery for that "hobby" you were looking for? Or is it still just gaining weight?

That wasn't nice. And I'll have you know that I restored and refinished not just a stupid coffee table, but an entire wood floor back from the 60s in one of my bedrooms. It turned out like shit.