Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Furniture Refinishing
This is it. Considering what it looked like when I tore the carpet up it's a definite improvement, but I still don't think I have a future in the hardwood floor restoration industry. I like the darker color, however, and think something like that would look good on your stupid coffee table. And then an even darker color on the border to make it more interesting.

[Image: 20170203_134937_zpsqy4vyhhj.jpg]
It has too much red in it though now that I look at it, I think something even darker like a walnut stain would look good. I'm going to hire someone to put a new wood floor over it eventually. I spent a week on that sonofabitch floor and it still looks like shit.
It actually looks pretty damn good. How did you sand it? Do they have sanders as big as a vacuum? It's not too red. I abhor cherry in that dark red/brown. I have one piece of cherry furniture in my house that has got to go. It's the tv stand/entertainment center in my living room. I think I bought it at CostCo cheap/quick.

Anyway, have you done anything more than potty training in the last 5 years or so? Or is eating your hobby. You could use that...enter a hot dog eating contest or something. I don't think Clang would have a chance.
Commando Cunt Queen
(02-03-2017, 03:52 PM)username Wrote: Do they have sanders as big as a vacuum?

Yes and there are videos on youtube as well. You can watch a couple and get an idea of what is involved.

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Yes I rented a sander similar looking to what Duchess posted, you bony twat. When I pulled up the carpet the hardwood was covered in paint and that sander blasted it away to a smooth finish. I did something wrong though because the stain didn't come out even, in some places it's way darker than others.
(02-03-2017, 03:52 PM)username Wrote: Or is eating your hobby?

Eating is most definitely not my hobby. The thought of food sometimes disgusts me because I'm so nauseated from the beer. I'd say I take in about 1300 calories of beer per day and maybe 4 or 500 calories of food. Now that I'm older my body is just holding on to all those extra beer calories and I'm taking in very little nutrients from the little food that I do eat. I really need to change my ways. Like I won't be around for long if I don't.

This is my diet: 4 cups of black coffee in the morning, 3 or 4 bottles of water early afternoon, start drinking beer around 1pm which lasts until I go to bed and eat a yogurt or something and a couple of bites of whatever I cooked for dinner.
I'm thinking by oh, around 5:30 your thinking of roasting some of those little bastard lizards that run around there.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(02-03-2017, 09:51 PM)sally Wrote: I really need to change my ways. Like I won't be around for long if I don't.

Yeah same here. The only changes I've made to my diet is I cut out snacking in between meals and I rarely eat dessert. Impressive beer intake. You could probably drink me under the table.
Well like all alcoholics I've built up a tolerance to it over the years. Sometimes I don't even know why I'm drinking it because I'm not even catching a buzz. When I do stop drinking I start to crave sugar which is something I don't normally like. The last time I quit drinking for two weeks I went through a giant sized bag of Jolly Ranchers.
(02-03-2017, 10:00 PM)Maggot Wrote: I'm thinking by oh, around 5:30 your thinking of roasting some of those little bastard lizards that run around there.

I don't give a damn how you people do it up north, but we don't eat lizards down here.
But if we did they would be gutted, breaded and deep fried.
I finally finished that son of a bitch. It looks really good if I do say so myself but damn....it took a lot of time. If I ever wanted to touch up the finish or fix the finish on a leg or something, I'm fucked. I ended up mixing colors to get a dark brown that I could live with. I could never replicate it.

I'll post some pics later. It's drying now but I can't wait to get it out of my garage so I can clean up in there. It's been all about NOT moving shit around because of dust etc. The garage is a hot mess (more than usual).
Commando Cunt Queen
I know all of you were waiting with bated breath to see the outcome of my table refinishing effort so here you go. Duchess, you were right about the raised corner(s). I hadn't really noticed them, and/or they weren't a priority at the time but in the end loosening the screws that held the middle portion in combined with a rubber mallet made it flush enough for me. This is our living room (which was "remodeled" in that we changed the floor, bought new couches, changed out some other furniture etc).

[Image: IMG_1563%201_zpspcxbhhnq.jpg]

I ended up staining and lacquering the whole thing.

As to what's on the couch behind it (somebody's going to notice), probably clean laundry. That's a laundry way station. When I'm lazy, I put laundry there on its way upstairs to be put away. Smiley_emoticons_slash
Commando Cunt Queen
Looks great, nice job.
(02-23-2017, 08:13 PM)BigMark Wrote: Looks great, nice job.

Thanks.

I made some minor mistakes that required me removing/resanding a leg here or there but I'm happy with it. It's a shame that there's absolutely no market for flipping furniture. I wouldn't mind having a project going most of the time but I stupidly bought a lot of our new furniture and, except for the couches, most of it's cheap but it looks good.

The only project in my future is changing the color of the legs on our kitchen table. They're too white. I just need to soften them up a shade or two.
Commando Cunt Queen
Well that came out well despite all your trepidations. See...........you CAN do it peanut. It looks great.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(02-23-2017, 09:36 PM)Maggot Wrote: Well that came out well despite all your trepidations. See...........you CAN do it peanut. It looks great.

Thank you. It did and you know it's a quality piece of wood. I was carrying it lengthwise, dropped it with me on top and skidded about 5 feet in the garage and nothing broke. Then my son ran in to it with my car and again, couldn't find any damage or even a wobbly leg. It's a solid piece of furniture!

I learned a LOT doing this piece. I was afraid I was going to end up with bubbles or brush/lap marks, splotches..anything that can go wrong. I did end up with some splotching on one side of the top but I sanded, reapplied and it was fine the second time around.

I really wood like to hunt for cheap, solid wood pieces that have been painted or something and refinish them. But...I don't have anywhere to put them. Crying-into-tissue

Actually, there's one project I could tackle. We have a chest in our laundry room that was in one of my kids' rooms when they were a baby. I'm pretty sure that puppy is solid maple. In our office/second bedroom, we have a chest that I picked up at a flea market 20 some years ago that's all particle board. I've measured and the laundry room chest would fit up there. Yeah, I'm going to do it. My family hates my hobby (at least my son does because he can't skate in there) but too bad. As soon as I finish cleaning up from the last project (and getting rid of as much dust as possible), I'm going to tackle that mo-fo. I'll post starting and ending photos of that one as well. Smiley_emoticons_smile
Commando Cunt Queen

You did a great job, User. Come and paint the TV armoire in my bedroom. I just painted my nightstand. It was a lovely, dark wood and I went to white with grey drawers, maybe you can paint the armoire to match. Thanks!
(02-24-2017, 05:53 AM)Duchess Wrote:

You did a great job, User. Come and paint the TV armoire in my bedroom. I just painted my nightstand. It was a lovely, dark wood and I went to white with grey drawers, maybe you can paint the armoire to match. Thanks!

Love3

Sounds good; I'm ready to do another chalk painting project if you'd like it done that way.

One of my problems, as evidenced by the surfboard ride on my table, is moving the furniture around. I can't sit around all day waiting for my husband's help. Even when he's here I have to pry him off the couch to give me a hand. I do all the sanding outside my garage (for obvious reasons), then I bring the pieces in when they're ready. I'm hoping that chest...once I take the drawers out, it will be possible for me to move everything in and out as I go. Then there's the rain. It's great for keeping dust down but ya' can't sand in it...I could paint that thing. Or chalk paint it. Something that doesn't involve stripping it down to bare wood but I dunno. Unless you do something interesting like you did with your side table, paint can be boring. And the furniture in that room is generally dark if I want to keep with the color scheme. I've heard maple doesn't take a dark stain easily though....

Never mind me, just thinking out loud.
Commando Cunt Queen
(02-24-2017, 02:07 PM)username Wrote: I'm ready to do another chalk painting project if you'd like it done that way.

That would be perfect as I used chalk paint on the table. I made my own this time and while it's okay I would like it to be a little smoother so I'm going to run into Home Depot over the weekend. I have an unfinished Amish built corner cabinet that I want to do something with too but I've got to get off this grey kick first. I'm really lovin' all the shades of grey out there to the point of not considering other colors.