Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Furniture Refinishing
(02-24-2017, 02:37 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(02-24-2017, 02:07 PM)username Wrote: I'm ready to do another chalk painting project if you'd like it done that way.

That would be perfect as I used chalk paint on the table. I made my own this time and while it's okay I would like it to be a little smoother so I'm going to run into Home Depot over the weekend. I have an unfinished Amish built corner cabinet that I want to do something with too but I've got to get off this grey kick first. I'm really lovin' all the shades of grey out there to the point of not considering other colors.

Grey is in right now. And it's a neutral color so I say go with it. I've chalk painted two pieces and the finish felt rough until I applied a good amount of Minwax to them. That smoothed them right out and then I added some dark wax to the spots that I wanted to antique. I suppose if you want to cheat a bit, they make these spray on lacquers (Deft is the brand that I've used) that come in Satin and I think matte. If you wanted to make sure everything stayed put and give it a protective, smooth coating, I'd spray it with some matte lacquer. JMO; I'd have to see it (pics please).

It was almost impossible to find anything but grey remodeling the kitchen. Grey, black and white...I couldn't picture a white kitchen in our house (it just wouldn't go) and besides, buying all new cabinets, I wanted to see the wood. I always thought you paint your cabinets white when they look like shit (or you get sick of them). The only nod I have to the current trend is some reclaimed, weathered grey/brown furniture in my family room. It looks good but it's cheap stuff.

You gave me another idea!!! I bought (and that's my problem...buying stuff too quickly) an entry way table that I haven't really liked since I got it home (but it was a final sale. Instead of working on the chest in my laundry room, I'm going to do something to that piece of...wood. I've been secretly looking to replace it (even though I just bought it a couple months ago) but I think I could make it work with a color change (there's nothing wrong with the style). You can see the colors in our living room from the table pic. For some reason, I bought the entry way table in a medium to light brown...it looks like it would make a good garden work table or something at this point. It's too casual and the color is all wrong. I can fix that...Smiley_emoticons_hurra3 I can't wait to get started, lol.
Commando Cunt Queen
The entertainment center I bought is grey. It's the only piece of grey furniture I've even had. If you look at it from an angle it has a pink hue to it though which I did not notice at the furniture store.
Yep. Grey is everywhere. I don't know why but I want to go to a store about 15 mins from me that specializes in making furniture out of reclaimed wood. I imagine they have some cool stuff there but I don't "need" anything.

Actually I should talk to the old man about replacing our bedroom set. It's probably 20 years old and unfortunately there's nothing wrong with it except it's HUGE. I learned several years ago that you have to buy furniture that fits the room for some spaciousness. The set we bought way back when would look great....in a mansion sized bedroom.

I'm going to talk with him about that. All this furniture...I've sold a few things on Craigslist but people want a freaking steal; I practically gave them away. Same with a consignment store; they offered me pennies on the dollar. Sooo, we donate everything. We make more on the deduction than any other method.

If I got my own place, I would like whites and greys. I'd decorate the whole place like a spa. Or a Mormon temple (I've only been in one but it was heavenly). Could happen.
Commando Cunt Queen
How would you like to be stuck with THIS freaking thing!!

[Image: 00R0R_8LATuBCQ210_600x450.jpg]
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
That would suck, I hate beards.
That is one huge multiple latrine.

It looks like a family pew.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]

Have any of you ever used gel stain? How'd you like it?
It did a pretty good job on clangs underwear.
(03-16-2017, 06:55 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I've used it and like the regular stain better because you have more control with it. The stain/varnish combo sucks too.

I've never worked with stain before and I thought the gel stain sounded interesting, maybe that was because I saw it compared to pudding. Awink

...I'm hungry.
(03-17-2017, 09:35 AM)Maggot Wrote:
(03-16-2017, 06:55 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I've used it and like the regular stain better because you have more control with it. The stain/varnish combo sucks too.

Never, ever use poly stain. Not only are the results horrid (or so I've heard), I got desperate and tried it on a piece and it didn't even adhere. It "claims" that you can use it on mildly prepped wood...lies. It has horrid reviews

Gel stains...I definitely prefer them if I'm working on anything vertical (as opposed to turning the piece this way and that).

I bought Fusion paint recently. Like chalk paint, it purportedly doesn't require much prep work. I don't know why I decided to use it...something different to try? Plus it's for an entry way table that I could really give two fucks about but I only bought it 6 months ago so I can't very well donate it yet. I guess I could make such a mess of it that it would HAVE to be scrapped. Hmmmm.

I built a ramp for my do to get out our back slider and down two stairs (which is really stupid when she has to go down 14 wood stairs when we let her upstairs at night/return in the morning). But I have an idea about that too. I BUILT the ramp though. I will post a pic. My parents would be so proud.
Commando Cunt Queen
Ta dum!! 33

It only started coming apart about 3 times. I *think* it's solid now (definitely solid for her; not sure about my 200lb husband).

[Image: ramp_zpsegpujuas.jpg]

Regarding our stairs inside, I'm buying one of those natural rubber grip pads meant to go under an area rug or runner. I don't want a rug going up my stairs (instead I have a tread on each stair) so it's going to look fugly for a time (just grip with a tread on top of every stair). BUT, she's unstoppable these past couple weeks and my stupid husband just lets her run down the stairs; she stumbled and sprained a front paw/ankle last week. So a strip of natural rubber grip running the length of the stairs *ought* to lessen the chances of that. She's only allowed up and down the stairs to go up to bed and down in the morning; I have a baby gate at the bottom of the stairs. hah

One day I'll let her die but it won't be from neglect.
Commando Cunt Queen
That looks like a lot of work, good job! High end pet related products are a real growth industry right now.
Yeah, good job! I wish I had known you back when my mom had her handyman friend build her a big elaborate. complicated ramp/porch extension. That looks a whole lot simpler and functional.
It looks like a 4x8 sheet of 3/4' plywood screwed to a couple pieces of 4x4. Is that for the dog?
I'm going to have to build one for my Newfoundland, he's 14 and his hips are starting to give out on him. He has to go up and down a set of steps just like that to get outside. Other than that he's perfectly healthy and still loves going on walks, but when his back legs give out it takes him a minute to get back up.
(03-20-2017, 10:36 AM)Maggot Wrote: It looks like a 4x8 sheet of 3/4' plywood screwed to a couple pieces of 4x4. Is that for the dog?

Yeah it's for the dog but I wanted it sturdy enough to handle the weight of an adult too.

I dunno what it is. *embarassed* I go to the scrap section and yes, I'd say it's 1/2-3/4 inch plywood but about 32 inches wide. I had them cut the posts for me out of fir because I don't have a real saw. I connected the flat piece to the sloped piece with a couple 45 degree hinges on the bottom (that didn't quite make it sturdy enough or the flat to slope I was looking for so I used a second set of connectors on top and just used one of those things that holds things really tight (clearly the name escapes me now) and whacked them a couple times with a hammer to allow them to transition from flat to down. FINALLY, I put a once inch square piece right up next to the door and attached the top to that vs the door trim. That was too thin/flimsy.

There ya' go. Chop, chop Sally.
I'm also going ahead and refinishing the cheap entry table I got 4 months or so ago.i've already started with the drawers but I'll post a pic. I'm letting some of the lighter brown show tharough the darker brown I bought; so far, so good.And easy. I like easy.

I must catch up soon (when my daughter's at school). I don't know what happened but she's been asking for my help (or just listening)for the past 8 weeks or there abouts. I don't get any timt to myself after dinner. She's too old for this. Me too.
Commando Cunt Queen