ARE YOU HANDY?
(02-17-2017, 10:39 PM)sally Wrote: I actually like putting furniture together now that the know-it-all mentioned it. Not from scratch like carving it out of wood or anything, but out of a box is ok. I put my coffee table and end tables together and that was somewhat of a rewarding pleasure.

Same here. I worked in a toy dept for my after school job. I put together bicycles, kids furniture, doll houses and display cases.
I wouldn't mind having that job again. I made $ 2.65 an hour. lol
(02-17-2017, 10:39 PM)sally Wrote: I actually like putting furniture together now that the know-it-all mentioned it. Not from scratch like carving it out of wood or anything, but out of a box is ok. I put my coffee table and end tables together and that was somewhat of a rewarding pleasure.

Yeah my daughter bought one of those box furniture TV consoles, cause she knew I could put it together easily. It was around 300 pieces, containing dowels, cam locks. cam screws, sliding doors, hinges, handles, knobs, dozens of structural pieces, it was fun!
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

I can pretty much build, fix or make just about anything I might need
(02-17-2017, 08:49 PM)BlueTiki Wrote: I'm currently involved in building a tiny house.

I run and get food for the workers.

I'm impressed Tiki, not that you would care about that. That act of kindness will ensure that they will give you their best work, because you cared about them.
(02-17-2017, 08:17 PM)Carsman Wrote:
(02-17-2017, 03:53 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: Yeh but Cars men are still better at that stuff than most women sorry to say myself included.

Yes, I can and actually do and have done most anything that needs to be done around both my villa's.

However, lately, I choose to "hire" professionals to do many of the things I really don't like doing. I've got the $$$, and I'm told you can't take it with you, so . . . .

The next door neighbor came and drilled in some things for me so that I could put the Dyson vacuum cleaner up. I had tried to do it on another wall, but I stuffed it up.

However, the back sliding door was too big a job and needed a proper professional to come and fix it. He did a really good job too.
No she dinnit!
(02-17-2017, 10:58 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote:

Same here. I worked in a toy dept for my after school job. I put together bicycles, kids furniture, doll houses and display cases.

My first job was working in a fish and chips shop. I was really good at it. I got $3 an hour. Good money for back then, could afford to go to all the concerts. Good times.
(02-18-2017, 01:56 AM)aussiefriend Wrote:

My first job was working in a fish and chips shop. I was really good at it. I got $3 an hour. Good money for back then, could afford to go to all the concerts. Good times.

My first job was at a local nursing home washing dishes and other kitchen/dining area stuff except cook. I made $4.25 an hour but a lot of my money went to helping out my mom with bills. I remember her coming to me and asking if she could borrow the $1000 I had spent months saving up. I'm glad I gave her the money because she loaned me probably at least 10 times that amount over the years.
(02-18-2017, 01:56 AM)aussiefriend Wrote:

I remember bringing home $67 a week. $50 straight in the savings account.

Minimum wage was 3.35hr in 1982. Back then employers payed 'student' wages which was 2.65hr. I was so excited after graduation getting a .70 raise. hah
I know, I was working there 1981 and 1982. Money went further in those days. I always had my own money when I was at school (when i was working part time) it was a good feeling of independence.

I could afford to go to all the concerts when bands came to town. I met DEVO in 1981 and saw Duran Duran in 1982 but didn't meet them was too shy. My friends met the Human League in 1982 and they said that they were horrible and snobby.