Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
PRIVATE PRISONS

I thought we had talked about this before but I couldn't find it.

I think private prisons are a really bad idea. I understand that prisons are overcrowded and there is probably a need for more but surely there's a better way.

Now that I've given a little thought to this, this thread might be a bad idea as I don't know what I'm talking about. I don't know enough to argue my point other than to say I think it's a bad idea.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
In theory PP's sound like a clever idea.

However, in reality as I see it, the PP can turn into a "pay as you go system", and of course the more a prisoner can pay, the easier and even better off that prisoner can be!

Who would be watching the watchers?
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

We need rehabilitation in prison, currently we are failing miserably anything else pretty much would be better. The Mexican gangs run the prison system.
(02-23-2017, 07:00 PM)Duchess Wrote: I thought we had talked about this before but I couldn't find it.

I think private prisons are a really bad idea. I understand that prisons are overcrowded and there is probably a need for more but surely there's a better way.

Now that I've given a little thought to this, this thread might be a bad idea as I don't know what I'm talking about. I don't know enough to argue my point other than to say I think it's a bad idea.

Here's the link to that old thread: http://mockforums.net/showthread.php?tid...ght=Prison

While I respect and benefit from the fact that we're a very capitalistic country, I don't think policing, imprisonment, education, and healthcare should have a profit-motive attached.

Give cops a quota for ticket-revenue and it will result in invalid or unnecessary tickets being written. Encourage a private for-profit system to grow and there will be collusion between law enforcement and private prisons resulting in unnecessary incarceration. Make higher education available only to those with money or those willing to go into high debt for years and years, and there will be less opportunities to minimize poverty in current and future generations with the rich getting richer and most everybody else staying stagnant. Make adequate healthcare available only to the wealthy........... and it's simply unconscionable. In my opinion.

When it comes to higher education and healthcare specifically though, I think people should be able to pay for premium quality, but good quality public options for all should be available.

Feel the Bern! (I felt it, still feeling it.) Smiley_emoticons_smile
(02-23-2017, 07:00 PM)Duchess Wrote: I thought we had talked about this before but I couldn't find it.

Here's the link to that old thread: http://mockforums.net/showthread.php?tid...ght=Prison

While I respect and benefit from the fact that we're a very capitalistic country, I don't think policing, imprisonment, education, and healthcare should have a profit-motive attached.

Give cops a quota for ticket-revenue and it will result in invalid or unnecessary tickets being written. Encourage a private for-profit prison system to grow and there will be collusion between law enforcement and private prisons resulting in unnecessary incarceration. Make higher education available only to those with money or those willing to go into high debt for years and years, and there will be less opportunities to minimize poverty in current and future generations with the rich getting richer and most everybody else staying stagnant. Make adequate healthcare available only to the wealthy........... and it's simply unconscionable. In my opinion.

When it comes to higher education and healthcare specifically though, I think people should be able to pay privately for profit-motivated premium quality, but good quality public options for all should be available.

Feel the Bern! (I felt it, still feeling it.) Smiley_emoticons_smile
Perhaps some monistat is called for.
I was expecting almost that exact comment and figured it would probably come from you, Biggie.

Maybe because you're a real wise-ass.

Or, maybe because your language skills suck (tip: Bern and Burn sound the same, but they're not the same).
D.

All the above.
Well Serco or what ever that muti national prison companys called really fucked up in NZ.
THANK YOU FOR POT SMOKING
(02-24-2017, 12:04 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Here's the link to that old thread: http://mockforums.net/showthread.php?tid...ght=Prison

Thank you!

I don't want there to be a financial incentive for locking people up. That won't end well.

Stock is already rising after Sessions rescinded Obama's private prisons order.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(02-24-2017, 05:48 AM)Duchess Wrote: Stock is already rising after Sessions rescinded Obama's private prisons order.

Shit, I just read that discouraging news.

I'm not surprised, but really disagree with going back to growing the for-profit private prisons. Over the last few years, I've read a lot about the prison system and incarceration in the U.S. -- no doubt in my mind that the ties between politicians and private-prison profiteers / political donors helped contribute to insanely massive incarceration rates in the U.S.

Those prisons will be filled with illegal/undocumented immigrants, like they were in Arizona before Sheriff Joe and Jan Brewer got slammed by the judiciary.

I hope they don't also go back to being filled with low-level non-violent offenders (traffic violations, possession of marijuana, etc...). Those should be citations, not jailable crimes which costs taxpayers if offenders are thrown in governmental facilities and then serve to fill vacancies and increase profits for private prisons/jails when those governmental facilities hit capacity.

Press secretary Spicer confirmed yesterday that Session's justice department will be more aggressive on recreational marijuana. Two of Session's former aides are private prison lobbyists for Geo Group, one of the largest private for-profit prison groups.

States need to legalize or at least decriminalize some minor offenses quick. I'm all for mandatory and long sentences for violent criminals, repeat offenders with repeat victims, no parole for those who pose a legitimate threat to others based on their criminal histories, more vigorous prosecution of white collar criminals who exploit the innocent, etc. But, reversing course on mass incarcerations for low-level and victim-less crimes would be a real stain on the nation, a stain that would especially impact those living in poverty-stricken areas.

It really concerns me. I seriously hope the country isn't headed back in that direction under the Trump administration, but not feeling optimistic on this one. '(