Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
prison reform
Smiley_emoticons_skeptisch

You're hyper-defensive and way off base here Mags.

How do you think I've been following the progress of the criminal justice reform initiative if the media is ignoring it?

Not only is the Senate's passage of the bill on the front page of every news outlet I read, the articles give appropriate due credit to President Trump for embracing/advocating it and Jared Kushner for driving this positive bi-partisan achievement.

I also heard it being covered positively, at length, on CNN tonight at my client's house and again on news radio on my drive home.

Once the bill passes the House and gets signed into law, I'm sure Trump will hold a press conference and it will get even more coverage.

Anyway, I'm really glad the bill is set to be passed. Criminal justice reform is long overdue, and getting prison and sentencing reform through is a very good first step.
(12-19-2018, 04:45 AM)Maggot Wrote: This will get media attention..............."crickets"  Trump cannot do anything right according to the peanut gallery.

It was everywhere yesterday and probably will be again today. Are you confined in some kind of bubble up there?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
President Trump signed the criminal justice reform bill into law today.

The new law, spearheaded by Jared Kushner, had rare bipartisan support.  It shortens some drug sentences while expanding rehabilitation programs for prisoners.

With the new law, there's a change in how the U.S. punishes offenders. Thousands of well-behaved inmates will be getting early releases, while others will see their sentences reduced. Drug offenders will get treatment.

The U.S. has more citizens in incarceration than any other country in the world and the highest per-capita incarceration rate.  
The federal prison system currently holds nearly 181,000 people, and 2.1 million people are in state/local prisons or jails in America.  113 million Americans have spent at least one night incarcerated.

The First Step law signed today covers only federal sentences.  Large-scale reform will require change at the state and local level.  But, it's undoubtedly a move in the right direction.  

Hopefully, the state and local governments will follow the Feds' lead when it comes to sentencing reform and the new federal law will open the door to address/improve other aspects of the U.S.'s criminal justice system on a national level.  

Refs: 
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/advocates-f...ping-bill/
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-s...eform-bill
https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2018/...g-overhaul
(12-22-2018, 01:32 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Hopefully, the state and local governments will follow the Feds' lead when it comes to sentencing reform

I think it may come down to whether one lives in a blue state or red state. I pity the fools in red states.
(12-22-2018, 06:03 AM)Duchess Wrote:
(12-22-2018, 01:32 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Hopefully, the state and local governments will follow the Feds' lead when it comes to sentencing reform

I think it may come down to whether one lives in a blue state or red state. I pity the fools in red states.

No doubt that the states represented by the conservative Republican Freedom Caucus and other congresspersons who fought the legislation will resist reforms the most.

But, it's possible that the citizens in their districts will force them to get on board, in my opinion.

The biggest share of meth and Opioid addicts live in the heartland.  That's also where unemployment is the highest overall.  So, I can see the people there pushing for sentencing reforms that include drug treatment if  they're informed with the facts.
(12-22-2018, 02:25 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: But, it's possible that the citizens in their districts will force them to get on board, in my opinion.

This is something I give thought to, in general. I get irate when I read about states not doing what their people want, what they vote for. Wisconsin & North Carolina come to mind.