Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
marriage laws
Carsman Offline
Geriatric star & Bad Mocker

RE: marriage laws

IMO, It seems many people today don't put as much stock in marriage any longer as they used to.
Today many people use the marriage certificate as a "learners permit", well knowing that divorce is the easy way fix if it doesn't work out!
(And a baby at the ripe old age of 13 is way too young to marry! So is 18. Parents that give consent, are NUTS)

Carsman: Loves Living Large

Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!
03-10-2017 12:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

(03-10-2017 12:42 PM)Carsman Wrote:  IMO, It seems many people today don't put as much stock in marriage any longer as they used to.
Today many people use the marriage certificate as a "learners permit", well knowing that divorce is the easy way fix if it doesn't work out!

Yeah, society's view of marriage has changed a lot in my lifetime. Now that divorce is no longer considered taboo, second and third (and even more) marriages are not uncommon.

'Til death do us part' no longer applies in a lot of cases. I don't think that's a bad thing though; better to be happy than make yourself and your spouse miserable until the day you die.

At the same time, it's not generally considered strange anymore for adults of both genders to wait until their 30s or 40s to get married, or choose to remain single indefinitely.

It's either feast or famine for a lot of people in the U.S.

03-10-2017 01:05 PM

Maggot Offline
Supermod

In 20 yrs people may be able to legally marry their dogs.

03-10-2017 01:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

^ Where did that come from -- is it in reference to gay marriage?

Dick used that nutty dog-marrying claim to argue against gay marriage a few times. I think he also lamented that people would be able to marry trees!

The lack of logic kind of stumped me, but the bark is worse than the bite in both scenarios.

03-10-2017 01:15 PM

Duchess Away
Administrator

(03-10-2017 01:15 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  I think he also lamented that people would be able to marry trees!

hah Backwoods hick.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
03-10-2017 01:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

(03-10-2017 01:29 PM)Duchess Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 01:15 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  I think he also lamented that people would be able to marry trees!

hah Backwoods hick.

Dick was so prickly, I was surprised he wasn't fretting over people being able to marry cacti in the future.

03-10-2017 01:41 PM

Duchess Away
Administrator

Whenever I think of him I smile. I had so much fun with that crotchety old bastard.

03-10-2017 01:43 PM

Maggot Offline
Supermod

That never occurred to me, what I mean is that marriage has become meaningless as people are not holding marriage vows sacred. i don't know where you get a gay thing going on but everything is not an affront to all things gay. But you have a right to say whatever you want.

03-10-2017 01:54 PM

Duchess Away
Administrator

(03-10-2017 01:54 PM)Maggot Wrote:  people are not holding marriage vows sacred.

Like anything worthwhile it takes some effort. It needs to be cultivated like a garden. It needs attention, time and caring. Marriage shouldn't be viewed as being disposable. It's a tremendous commitment. Gives me goosebumps just talking about it.

03-10-2017 01:59 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

(03-10-2017 01:54 PM)Maggot Wrote:  That never occurred to me, what I mean is that marriage has become meaningless as people are not holding marriage vows sacred. i don't know where you get a gay thing going on but everything is not an affront to all things gay. But you have a right to say whatever you want.

I already told you exactly where I got it, Mags. Dick used that same nutty claim to argue that gays getting hitched violated the sanctity of marriage.

And, I didn't say that's what your comment pertained to; I asked you. Now I know.

You've been married more than once, haven't you Maggot?

03-10-2017 02:00 PM

Maggot Offline
Supermod

Yup, and it took quite a while to bring myself to get divorced. I divorced because i didn't want my Daughter growing up in that atmosphere. Have you ever been married princess?

03-10-2017 02:13 PM

sally Away
sally

I don't think marriage is that important. It either works or it doesn't, who cares if it ends in a divorce.

The biggest difficulty I see with it is when the couple shares kids and assets, then getting a divorce is a huge pain in the ass. But then again it would be a pain in the ass even if you weren't married. You'd still have to split time with the kids and decide who gets the house, and the car, and the dog... So really what does it even matter? Married, not married, who cares.

03-10-2017 02:15 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

No, Maggot, I'm not interested in a religion or government licensing and regulating my personal relationship.

Plus, I'd rather not get married than swear to a lifetime commitment and then break that commitment. That would be violating what you consider sacred marriage vows, no matter what the justification.

03-10-2017 02:17 PM

Duchess Away
Administrator

(03-10-2017 02:17 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  Plus, I'd rather not get married than swear to a lifetime commitment and then break that commitment.

*high five*

03-10-2017 02:18 PM