Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
POLITICAL CRACK UPS
(12-03-2019, 09:21 AM)Maggot Wrote: It's not like he had any effect in the California legislature anyways.

hah  Uh huh
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(12-03-2019, 09:21 AM)Maggot Wrote: It's not like he had any effect in the California legislature anyways.

Serious question -- why do you say that Mags?  

Hunter served as a conservative Representative for over 10 years, following his father's many years in the same role.

He sponsored quite a few bills, didn't miss a lot of state congressional votes representing his conservative district (though his dad had a very poor absentee record), focused heavily on veterans (of which he is one), and supported Donald Trump strongly, especially in regards to immigration policy and bills.

A Democrat, Independent, or more moderate Republican Representative in that seat would have had a different effect in the California legislature and especially in his border districts, that's for sure.  

Here's his congressional record:  https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members...ter/412283
Well, he is a republican in a sea of democrats kinda like a mascot or something. never able to originate a bill or have any influence over it.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(12-03-2019, 01:39 PM)Maggot Wrote: Well, he is a republican in a sea of democrats kinda like a mascot or something. never able to originate a bill or have any influence over it.

Did you read his record at the link Mags? 

He originated several bills and voted on dozens and dozens of others (thus influencing them).

Some districts in Southern California have been among the most conservative in the country, as we've discussed before.

Anyway, by your logic, every Republican Representative in every primarily blue state is worthless, and every Democrat Representative in every primarily red state is worthless.  But, that's surely not the case for many reasons.

If it were the case, you wouldn't have both parties fighting so hard in nearly every state to keep Representatives from their own parties in place and turn districts from blue to red (and vice versa).
The Democrat majority in California is 23 what republicans have which makes it hard for me to believe that anything a republican does in that state will not get far if the historical record is applied.

Not that it means anything but the guy is corrupt anyways. he could originate anything he wanted but how far a bill would go because he was republican may be the more correct question.
The should make him an honorary demoncrat.
All I'm sayin is a Republican has a snowballs chance in hell to get a bill passed in California. Why try? They seem to have everything under control.
(12-03-2019, 06:40 PM)Maggot Wrote: All I'm sayin is a Republican has a snowballs chance in hell to get a bill passed in California. Why try? They seem to have everything under control.

Thank you for answering Mags.

23 majority is often required to get something passed on each of those levels of government. 

So, having only 13 holding (or even less, in some cases) is a big effin' deal and why political parties don't just throw in the towel if they're not in the majority.  That would be stupid and extremely short-sighted. 

Every elected Representative matters; they definitely have an influence on the body politic (whether they're great or they suck).  

New Hampshire's state government, like California's, is currently majority Democrat in both houses.   

I don't think the Republican Representatives in New Hampshire are any more or less meaningful than the Republican Representatives in California.

If you're less objective and do think that Republican Reps in your minority Republican state are somehow more meaningful than those Republican Reps in other minority Republican states like California...........okay.  

Or, if instead you're implying that Republican Reps in New Hampshire are as meaningless in your eyes as California's Republican Reps, okay too.

Whichever, you and me, we just disagree.
(12-04-2019, 02:40 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 06:40 PM)Maggot Wrote: All I'm sayin is a Republican has a snowballs chance in hell to get a bill passed in California. Why try? They seem to have everything under control.

Thank you for answering Mags.

23 majority is often required to get something passed on each of those levels of government. 

So, having only 13 holding (or even less, in some cases) is a big effin' deal and why political parties don't just throw in the towel if they're not in the majority.  That would be stupid and extremely short-sighted. 

Every elected Representative matters; they definitely have an influence on the body politic (whether they're great or they suck).  

New Hampshire's state government, like California's, is currently majority Democrat in both houses.   

I don't think the Republican Representatives in New Hampshire are any more or less meaningful than the Republican Representatives in California.

If you're less objective and do think that Republican Reps in your minority Republican state are somehow more meaningful than those Republican Reps in other minority Republican states like California...........okay.  

Or, if instead you're implying that Republican Reps in New Hampshire are as meaningless in your eyes as California's Republican Reps, okay too.

Whichever, you and me, we just disagree.

I know that the Democrats have had a majority for quite a few years in California at least in N.H. it changes every few years. It's up to the voters and if they wanted change it would happen. The governor is Republican here and that nicely balances things at times.
Just leave it alone, Biggie.
Ooooh oooh oooh.
Update to Posts #99 and 100

[Image: health_overhaul_new_york_34689.jpg.jpg]
President Trump with two of his strongest (former) congressional supporters -- Chris Collins (center) and Duncan Hunter -- both headed for the slammer this year.

Chris Collins, the first member of Congress to back Donald Trump for president, was charged in August 2018 with securities fraud, wire fraud and making false statements to FBI agents — part of an alleged scheme to share confidential information about an Australian biotech company whose board he sat on.
At his sentencing hearing, the disgraced Congressman broke down in sobs as he pleaded for mercy for himself and his son.  Crying-into-tissue 

“I violated my core values and there is no excuse,” Collins said, breathing heavily. “What I have done has marked me for life.”

Be that as it may, Judge Vernon Broderick sentenced Collins to 26 months and a fine of $200,000 on Friday.   https://www.politico.com/states/new-york...me-1252648
Follow-up to Post #106

Disgraced former congressman Duncan Hunter (R ) was sentenced to 11 months in prison on Tuesday for misusing campaign funds. His wife, Margaret Hunter, will be sentenced in April.

The former California congressman must report to the Bureau of Prisons by May 29, after the judge in the case refused his request to allow him to serve his sentence in home confinement. 

Hunter pleaded guilty in December to using $150,000 in campaign funds for everything from groceries and Lego sets to luxury hotels, affairs, and overseas vacations — and plane tickets for their family rabbits. 

Ref: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/disgraced-f...in-prison/