Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
SCHOOL CHOICE

I don't understand it. Aren't charter schools private schools? If so, why would the government take money from a public school and give it to a private school? I'm missing some aspect of this, aren't I?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I'm not sure I understand exactly what a charter school is, other than I don't believe it's the same as a private school.

Now I want to know what's the difference between charter & private and if a charter school charges tuition. If it does, then funds for public education shouldn't be used. How do kids from poor families get good educations for their kids? I have questions.
My understanding is that charter schools are already publicly funded, not privately funded.

They are sort of in between a public school and a private school, in my mind. While they operate on public funding, they are independent of state and federal educational regulations and instead free to choose curriculum and policies according to local 'charters' or guidelines.

They are not part of the public school districts and therefore student admission is not based on zoning or where the students live. So, for example, if a parent wanted to pull her kid out of a public school because she's not satisfied with the teachers, she could apply to put him in a charter school even if it's 30 miles away.
Poor kids usually get a shit education because they live in shit areas.
In some places there are too many kids for the poor/bad schools so there are charter schools
Not being "Public" schools, they get some funding from "Vouchers" this is on a headcount basis
Its a complicated mess and its run by over educated idiots in many cases, the entire school system, not just charters
A lot of parents with $ send their kids to private schools and they also have to pay school taxes, something wrong in that IMHO
Some parents of modest means can also get into charter schools for many reasons, bad schools, not enough space, not enough $ in the regular public school.
Take a look at the local school boards, see how many multiple master and doctorates there are but they can't manage their way out of a paper bag
I listen to the Miami School board monthly meetings here on NPR and although it has improved Vastly since I got here, it is still appaling.
Check out your local and ask yourself, should all those smart people not be able to turn out a better product?
Our state has open enrollment, meaning you can apply to have your kid enrolled at a public school with a better reputation .

A lot of inner city Minneapolis kids open enroll at schools in the suburbs.
(05-17-2017, 05:21 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: My understanding is that charter schools are already publicly funded, not privately funded.

They are sort of in between a public school and a private school, in my mind. While they operate on public funding, they are independent of state and federal educational regulations and instead free to choose curriculum and policies according to local 'charters' or guidelines.

They are not part of the public school districts and therefore student admission is not based on zoning or where the students live. So, for example, if a parent wanted to pull her kid out of a public school because she's not satisfied with the teachers, she could apply to put him in a charter school even if it's 30 miles away.

That sounds the way I understand it

I think all kids should have the right to a good education, not just those from the right side of the tracks.
If people have the money they should have the choice. I have a problem with colleges being tax free. I would think that they would be free. Many charter schools are. They are better because public schools have become so perverted that administrators make 2-3 times more than the teachers. They have become a burden with funding pensions and administrative costs that the kids get shitty education. The right way to do it would be to have pensions funded like a 401k to take the burden off the taxpayer.
Charter schools are the answer to the failing public schools I'm all for them.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I agree Duchess. There are many things wrong with the public education systems in this country and its going to take a Long time to fix them. One of the biggest is the teachers have NO authority to discipline the kids and the kids know it, add to that the antipathy of so many of the parents and the fact that thing their little snowflake is special.
All of that is why there are private schools and charter and Magnet schools, people are tired of that shit.
I think if you have $ you should be able to put your kid in a private, religious or special school if you want to. I certainly would.
I also believe if your dirt poor as I was growing up that you are Entitled to a good education, that's how it was when I was a kid. All you had to do is show up, not act like an asshole and pay some attention and like magic, you got smarter.
Its choices, some people make good ones and some make bad ones and whichever you make they come home in the end
(05-18-2017, 08:22 AM)Maggot Wrote: If people have the money they should have the choice.

I agree with that but what about families who don't have that kind of money? There are many families who live from paycheck to paycheck who can't afford one more thing. Education is key to a good future and all kids are deserving when they have the desire to learn.
Boys need to learn from a father.
My friend who is an elementary school teacher fears that charter schools will take students away from her school and therefore take away funding, which would take away funding for those students not privileged enough to be able to go to the charter schools.

But the more I read about charter schools it doesn't sound like a bad idea.

There are many things wrong with the public school system right now and I am not against finding alternative ways to teach kids. I wish the public system were better however and the need for charter schools would not be there.
Charter and magnate schools are a bandaid for all the shit that is wrong in public schools that the boards can't or won't fix. It sux to be poor and not afford nice schools for your kids, but then it has always sucked to be poor. Its not free, cheap or easy to break that cycle but I managed it and some of the results are my kids and grandkids are smarter than me and will have opportunities that I did not, a man cannot ask for more than that.
It is literally about choices, choose to not agitate your broke ass school board, not get yourself educated so you can get paid more and better educate your kids...choices...choose to be an asshole in school and graduate illiterate or quit....Or choose to get what you can out of the school you have, choose to read and read, choose to work 2 jobs and take night classes and dig your way out..
Or choose to sit on your ass with your hand out and bitch because you have 5 kids you can't feed or educate
There are a lot of things poor people cannot get a public school can give a good education if the child studies and applies themselves. Those that don't well it sucks but if you want a car with AC you have to pay for AC. I really don't care about what is "fair".
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Our school district has a High Potential program called Navigators.

Starts in 2nd grade.

The criteria says a child has to have an IQ of 140 or better to qualify.

My daughter has tested in the 99th percentile on all of her aptitude testing since Kindegarten so prior to this year she was invited to apply for Navigators by taking the districts IQ test.

We were informed that she posted a 136 and didn't qualify.

A couple of weeks ago she was invited to retake it for 3rd grade.

My wife and I really weren't excited for her to try again, but, voila, she's in.

I want poor kids to have opportunities like that too.