Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Applying for Jobs
Okay, I am going to go back to talking about jobs, even though the lot of you haven't had to apply for jobs in years etc etc...I would still like to get your thoughts on stuff.
I started working at the new place this week and they tell me that everyone just eats at their desks and the company just pays people for 8 hours of work and no one clocks out for lunches or breaks.
I get that, I get busy, I get being on call for front desk type work. But I want my 12 hour unpaid break. I don't want to be that person to go against the culture and challenge the status quo however.
Either way, I made it down the mountain, I have another interview tomorrow for a place that is looking for part time office/bookkeeping type help.
I am still considering moving back to the other side of the state since that is where I was before I moved out here. I didn't go very far after being in the mountains, just on the other side of the lake now.
I don't think I am making any sense. LOL.
I didn't leave my new job, I am just trying it out.
P.S.
I can't believe how much $ I saved by being in the mountains! I have already spent so much $ being out. I buy gas now, food, clothes for work. It is ridiculous!
(09-20-2017, 10:43 PM)Love Child Wrote: the company just pays people for 8 hours of work and no one clocks out for lunches or breaks.
I get that, I get busy, I get being on call for front desk type work. But I want my 12 hour unpaid break.

They did that at Price Chopper when I worked the graveyard shift. I'd just sit down and relax and have a snack when it wasn't busy and my tasks for the night were completed.

Yeah I want my half hour unpaid break too. There was a friend of mine complaining on Facebook about having to take her half hour because she was so bored.
I get that too. I can meditate or walk or something. I won't be bored.
If I start working the night shift I won't care about taking a break, but during the day I want a break.
Ugh.
Thanks Clang.
(09-20-2017, 10:43 PM)Love Child Wrote: P.S.
I can't believe how much $ I saved by being in the mountains! I have already spent so much $ being out. I buy gas now, food, clothes for work. It is ridiculous!

It only goes down hill from there! hah (Kidding?)

It's wise when leaving a job to never "burn your bridges", you just can never know how things may sometimes turn out.
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

(09-20-2017, 10:55 PM)Carsman Wrote: It's wise when leaving a job to never "burn your bridges", you just can never know how things may sometimes turn out.

I wish I hadn't ignored that same advice from my Mom for almost 20 years. That's why I'm sticking with my State job even if it kills me.
(09-21-2017, 09:01 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: That's why I'm sticking with my State job even if it kills me.

Good attitude...I think. You get all the holidays off with pay, you get personal days, good retirement, etc.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(09-21-2017, 09:01 PM)Clang McFly Wrote:
(09-20-2017, 10:55 PM)Carsman Wrote: It's wise when leaving a job to never "burn your bridges", you just can never know how things may sometimes turn out.

I wish I hadn't ignored that same advice from my Mom for almost 20 years. That's why I'm sticking with my State job even if it kills me.

Well now that I think about it, there is then the "exception" to that rule!

And that is when/if you are lucky enough to reach "retirement" age, then when you do leave, if you so desire, you can tell your boss and whom ever else you want to go pound sand, and Kiss your Ass!
And finish it off with "pissing" on you desk/computer! hah

(So I've been told) Smiley_emoticons_biggrin

(09-22-2017, 12:02 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(09-21-2017, 09:01 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: That's why I'm sticking with my State job even if it kills me.

Good attitude...I think. You get all the holidays off with pay, you get personal days, good retirement, etc.

Money to buy all my pretty dresses, money for strip clubs, and beer related activities with friends.....

Dental insurance sucks though, I can't believe I have to try and wait until January for more dental insurance so I can get another root canal.
(09-24-2017, 04:56 PM)Clang McFly Wrote:
(09-22-2017, 12:02 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Money to buy all my pretty dresses, money for strip clubs, and beer related activities with friends.....

Dental insurance sucks though, I can't believe I have to try and wait until January for more dental insurance so I can get another root canal.

Man you're lucky to "have dental insurance" at all!

Many jobs have no dental insurance benefits whatsoever!

(Nor do retired people. my recent dental work was $8,000) Wah -Wah

Well now I feel like I shouldn't complain about not getting breaks. Especially since I still have insurance from my last place covering me for a couple of months.
I am applying for another city job tomorrow.
(09-20-2017, 10:55 PM)Carsman Wrote:
(09-20-2017, 10:43 PM)Love Child Wrote: P.S.

It only goes down hill from there! hah (Kidding?)

It's wise when leaving a job to never "burn your bridges", you just can never know how things may sometimes turn out.

I won't burn my bridges, I know better than that. Being in a small town is going to make leaving pretty difficult.

I got a 2nd job, it is seasonal and I love it. It will pick up again next spring.

I should follow BBH's advice and go have some fun! and not be miserable!
While I haven't personally experienced the sensation of having fun and not being miserable it sounds like a marvelous idea.
So my 2nd job, which is my only job now comes with a yeller. The office person I work with likes to yell, alot. It finally got to the point that I had to call my boss who is off sight and tell him about it.

I had already been informed that she will not be with the company next season, but I didn't think I could make it that far. She is high strung, high maintenance and a bitch.

I like working for them, so I will see if I can make it work. I have been interviewing with other places and really I am having fun now because I feel I will be able to find a job and working at these smaller crappy jobs in the mean time is just part of the journey that I know is not forever.
(10-19-2017, 01:50 PM)Love Child Wrote: So my 2nd job, which is my only job now comes with a yeller. The office person I work with likes to yell, alot. It finally got to the point that I had to call my boss who is off sight and tell him about it.

I had already been informed that she will not be with the company next season, but I didn't think I could make it that far. She is high strung, high maintenance and a bitch.

I like working for them, so I will see if I can make it work. I have been interviewing with other places and really I am having fun now because I feel I will be able to find a job and working at these smaller crappy jobs in the mean time is just part of the journey that I know is not forever.

Some people work in really "loud" factory atmospheres, it goes with the job! Many of them wear "ear plugs", it helps they say.

It worth giving it a try! hah

Great, a yeller and a screamer in the same office.
(10-19-2017, 01:50 PM)Love Child Wrote: So my 2nd job, which is my only job now comes with a yeller. The office person I work with likes to yell, alot.

I never know how to deal with people who have no sense of decorum in a business atmosphere. It's very difficult to find a pleasant way to tell someone to shut the fuck up without resorting to their level.
Well it will be pretty easy as she is taking the next 2 weeks "off". My life certainly has not been boring this last month! The earplugs were a great idea though!
Well the yeller has been officially gone since, well since I last wrote about it. The company has now gone to their seasonal schedule and I am working 2 days a week.
I had my interview with the city yesterday and it went well. However they won't have a decision until January. Ugh. So I actually have the time off I wanted!
However I finally feel rested and am ready to work so I am applying for seasonl jobs-one of which is the local ski slope. Fuck yeah! LOL. Easiest application I have ever filled out.
(12-07-2017, 03:42 AM)Love Child Wrote: I am applying for seasonl jobs-one of which is the local ski slope. Fuck yeah! LOL. Easiest application I have ever filled out.

Fuck yeah is right! Wooo. So much fun!