LOSING EVERYTHING

I was just reading about a recent house fire in my community and the way the community is rallying around this family restores my faith in humanity. The family lost everything except for what they were wearing. I can hardly wrap my head around LOSING EVERYTHING.

Have you ever been through something like that?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Well not losing everything, but I lost a bunch of stuff when the pipes froze and then burst in my parent's house because we couldn't keep our out dated coal furnace working. Moved into a motel for about 3 months, found a tiny 3 bedroom apartment, bought a bunch of new stuff, almost 3 years later I don't even miss the stuff I lost, miss the old house, my old life.
I'm not centralized enough to lose "everything" but I feel sorry for those that do.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(11-03-2017, 06:20 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: Well not losing everything, but I lost a bunch of stuff when the pipes froze and then burst in my parent's house because we couldn't keep our out dated coal furnace working. Moved into a motel for about 3 months, found a tiny 3 bedroom apartment, bought a bunch of new stuff, almost 3 years later I don't even miss the stuff I lost, miss the old house, my old life.

Did you guys own the house?
(11-03-2017, 06:20 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: Well not losing everything, but I lost a bunch of stuff when the pipes froze and then burst in my parent's house because we couldn't keep our out dated coal furnace working. Moved into a motel for about 3 months, found a tiny 3 bedroom apartment, bought a bunch of new stuff, almost 3 years later I don't even miss the stuff I lost, miss the old house, my old life.

I'm materialistic. I enjoy the hell out of my things and I would be absolutely fuckin' gutted if I lost it all.
I've lost pretty much everything more times than I can count. Pop used to do shit like telling us he was gonna go play pool, and we were leaving town when he came home, and whatever we could fit in the car we could keep. No exaggeration. We learned to carefully watch his behavioral "tells" for when he was gearing up to leave, and we would begin packing our most treasured items in small, easy to move boxes and put them in a closet. That way when the day came no matter how much or little warning we had we were ready.

The ultimate effect of this was that 1) stuff is unimportant to me. And becomes less so every year. 2) I can pack my shit and vanish with a speed and efficiency that has stunned more than a few people who were warned and did not take it seriously. 3) I can build a functional and halfway presentable homespace out of practically anything. On very little money.

So, skills I guess.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
(11-03-2017, 10:06 PM)BigMark Wrote:

Not really. I think my dad had about $40,000 left to pay on the mortgage payments because my parents were constantly refinancing the house to help their 5 kids and themselves through financial difficulties.

When I had my first job, I helped out my parents too. I remember saving for months and had just saved $1000. But being the nice guy I am I gave it to my mom when she asked to borrow it to pay bills.

The bank wants us to pay for the thousands of dollars of repairs to the house and to clean it. We just want them to foreclose on the house and be done with it.
(11-04-2017, 01:44 PM)Donovan Wrote: I've lost pretty much everything more times than I can count. Pop used to do shit like telling us he was gonna go play pool, and we were leaving town when he came home, and whatever we could fit in the car we could keep. No exaggeration. We learned to carefully watch his behavioral "tells" for when he was gearing up to leave, and we would begin packing our most treasured items in small, easy to move boxes and put them in a closet. That way when the day came no matter how much or little warning we had we were ready.

I always want to hug little boy Donovan when I read this stuff :(
Sounds like the balance on the house is more than the house is worth, sorry to hear that. The six of us lived in a two bedroom apartment above the laundrymat when I little.
(11-05-2017, 12:59 PM)BigMark Wrote: Sounds like the balance on the house is more than the house is worth, sorry to hear that. The six of us lived in a two bedroom apartment above the laundrymat when I little.

I just wish they'd foreclose on it already and give my Dad a little more peace of mind. But I don't think the bank wants it either. There's also a section of the retaining wall about to burst and spew tons of dirt onto the sidewalk. They marked it with yellow caution tape.

If the wall bursts before they foreclose I fear Dad will be held liable, for repair, damages, death.
(11-05-2017, 06:01 PM)Clang McFly Wrote:
(11-05-2017, 12:59 PM)BigMark Wrote: Sounds like the balance on the house is more than the house is worth, sorry to hear that. The six of us lived in a two bedroom apartment above the laundrymat when I little.

I just wish they'd foreclose on it already and give my Dad a little more peace of mind. But I don't think the bank wants it either. There's also a section of the retaining wall about to burst and spew tons of dirt onto the sidewalk. They marked it with yellow caution tape.

If the wall bursts before they foreclose I fear Dad will be held liable, for repair, damages, death.

Maybe you could just post a sign in front of the wall, "PASS AT YOUR OWN RISK of PERIL"! It may help to not make you liable.
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

(11-05-2017, 07:17 PM)Carsman Wrote:
(11-05-2017, 06:01 PM)Clang McFly Wrote:

Maybe you could just post a sign in front of the wall, "PASS AT YOUR OWN RISK of PERIL"! It may help to not make you liable.

Or "IF THIS WALL GETS TOO BOARD, YOU MAY BE TAKING A DIRT NAP."
(11-05-2017, 08:33 AM)Duchess Wrote:
(11-04-2017, 01:44 PM)Donovan Wrote: I've lost pretty much everything more times than I can count. Pop used to do shit like telling us he was gonna go play pool, and we were leaving town when he came home, and whatever we could fit in the car we could keep. No exaggeration. We learned to carefully watch his behavioral "tells" for when he was gearing up to leave, and we would begin packing our most treasured items in small, easy to move boxes and put them in a closet. That way when the day came no matter how much or little warning we had we were ready.

I always want to hug little boy Donovan when I read this stuff :(

There were upsides. Saw a whole lot more of the country than many people get to. Had more than a few adventures . Never got permanent physical damage. There are horror stories of kids who had it way worse than me.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
(11-03-2017, 05:37 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I was just reading about a recent house fire in my community and the way the community is rallying around this family restores my faith in humanity. The family lost everything except for what they were wearing. I can hardly wrap my head around LOSING EVERYTHING.

Have you ever been through something like that?
Yes. House fires suck. To this day, i will be looking for something that I KNOW I have, only to remember that it went up in the fire.
I'm pretty sure the contents of my house are worth more than I'm insured for, so it would definitely suck to have a fire and lose everything. The only material things that can't be replaced, however, are my photos and some paintings. Oh and my haunted candlesticks. I don't have a lot of stuff that has sentimental value to me, I can just replace all my nice furniture and TV's with even nicer stuff.
(11-06-2017, 11:43 AM)sally Wrote: I'm pretty sure the contents of my house are worth more than I'm insured for, so it would definitely suck to have a fire and lose everything. The only things that can't be replaced, however, are my photos and some paintings. Oh and my haunted candlesticks.
Yeah, not having photos from my past sucks. I also lost all of my sports trophies which devastated me at the time. That and the husky puppy I lost in the fire.
That would be devastating.

I know someone who lost both their dogs and a parrot they had for 20 years in a fire.
(11-06-2017, 11:49 AM)Blindgreed1 Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 11:43 AM)sally Wrote: I'm pretty sure the contents of my house are worth more than I'm insured for, so it would definitely suck to have a fire and lose everything. The only things that can't be replaced, however, are my photos and some paintings. Oh and my haunted candlesticks.
Yeah, not having photos from my past sucks. I also lost all of my sports trophies which devastated me at the time. That and the husky puppy I lost in the fire.

Yeah some old photos can't be replaced!

That's why I have some of my most favorite old photos locked in
3 different "fire proof" lock boxes. Along with lots of cash, Birth Certificates, and other important legal papers, including my will.
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

My husband has judo trophies and some other memorabilia stuff, but I had him pack up all that junk and take it to his shop. Really the only thing I'd be concerned with getting out of here in the case of a fire is us and the pets. If you're not home of course then the pets would be trapped. I have a doggy door I leave open so at least the dogs would still have chance to get out.