Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Hey Duchess
I'm painting my living room and kitchen and I seem to be color blind. The colors samples look completely different in the store than they do when I bring them home. I like earth tone colors in cream, beige and light brown. Find me the perfect color and brand and get on it asap.

Oooohhh fun!

It'll cost you $50 an hour and I think this could take all night. Sarcastic

Go here - https://www.sherwin-williams.com/visualizer#/active

You can upload your own pix and play around with color. They also have their own images that you can experiment with. It allows you to see how different colors will look on your chosen walls.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Thank you. I'm going to try it and I'll post what it looks like if I'm able to upload the pictures.
(11-12-2017, 05:11 PM)sally Wrote: The colors samples look completely different in the store than they do when I bring them home.

It's the lighting.

It's often recommended that one live with the color for a few days in order to see it in all the lighting changes that occur throughout the day/evening. I understand that's terribly difficult to do with the tiny samples that are given to take home. I've known people to buy 8 oz paint samples and paint poster board or something similar and lean it against their walls so they have a better idea of what it will look like as a whole. I realize that sounds like a lot of trouble to go to but this is an important decision that you will be living with for what could be years.
I have 15 different samples taped to the wall and they all look like shit. My husband said to just go with an off white, but I want something different. We already have off white.
How about the color in Clangs apartment, I think it's called Satan's Sulfur Medley.
It's actually called Miraculous Mildew and I don't think it will match my color scheme.
I found a color called Navajo Sand. It's not very bold or daring, it's more neutral and boring, but a safe choice.
You don't have to worry about it stealing your work boots but hide the Vodka!
(11-12-2017, 10:17 PM)sally Wrote: It's actually called Miraculous Mildew and I don't think it will match my color scheme.

Its actually called "Bad Sloppy Paint Job and Color Choices by Landlord"

They even put too much caulking/grout in the bathroom.
Gout in your caulk would be miserable.
(11-12-2017, 05:11 PM)sally Wrote: I like earth tone colors in cream, beige and light brown.

I like those colors too.

Almost all my walls inside the house are butterscotch with caramel trim and have been for 13 years. They need painting so bad.

I'm really liking the new interior greys from Kelly Moore and Sherwin Williams. They look great with wood or stone floors + really colorful and/or neutral furnishings and art.

[Image: entryway-gray-walls.jpg]

^ Love this combination.
Grey scale is in right now.
(11-13-2017, 10:24 AM)BigMark Wrote: Grey scale is in right now.

It certainly is, it's been everywhere for a couple years now and there's no evidence that it's slowing down.
This one will look awesome when the greyish blue plaster is installed.

[Image: Ktil9YF.jpg]

That's awesome. It must be very rewarding to you to make people so happy with what you do for them. That pool will bring them all a great deal of joy.
(11-13-2017, 11:17 AM)Duchess Wrote:
(11-13-2017, 10:24 AM)BigMark Wrote: Grey scale is in right now.

It certainly is, it's been everywhere for a couple years now and there's no evidence that it's slowing down.

Greys are really versatile.

Are you still seeing a lot of textured-painted walls Duchess? When I was house- hunting 13 years ago, that was taking off.

I've never done textured paint. On grey, it has a concrete look to it (which I like).

[Image: bd42fd9cb00188f0897394ea4cc3510b.jpg]

Plus, it seems like it would hide scuffs and such well.
Lots of the houses we looked at here had that look. The walls here are almost all textured - no flat walls anywhere.

They put a base color down, then wash a tinted glaze over it. The glaze settles on the texture and makes the walls look even more textured then they actually are.

We just redid the kitchen and did not glaze the walls though - just paint. Agreeable Grey I think it was called.
Texture hides a multitude of sins.
(11-13-2017, 12:52 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Are you still seeing a lot of textured-painted walls Duchess?

Somewhat, except for with seniors which strikes me as a little odd now that I think of it.