Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
RUSSIAN INTERFERENCE IN 2016 US ELECTION -- THE INVESTIGATION
Tammy75 Offline
Mocker

RE: RUSSIAN INTERFERENCE IN 2016 US ELECTION -- THE INVESTIGATION

(04-09-2018 05:22 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  President Trump's self-proclaimed 'Ray Donovan'

Please don't degrade Ray Donovan with this man!

04-09-2018 11:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

Duchess Away
Administrator

"the deep state is deep" hah

I don't believe there is a deep state but I hope everyday there is. I hope there are spooks in the background working to keep America safe because God knows the people in charge aren't doing anything.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
04-10-2018 05:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

(04-09-2018 11:12 PM)Tammy75 Wrote:  
(04-09-2018 05:22 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  President Trump's self-proclaimed 'Ray Donovan'

Please don't degrade Ray Donovan with this man!

It wasn't me! That's how Cohen describes himself.

I remember you posting that you really like 'Ray Donovan'. I haven't seen the show yet, but have heard it's a good one from a few people.

Anyway, in light of yesterday's developments, I'm not sure if Cohen is going to be able to continue fixing for Trump. Depending on the probable cause, there may now be conflict of interest.

04-10-2018 10:34 AM

HairOfTheDog Offline

(04-10-2018 05:10 AM)Duchess Wrote:  
"the deep state is deep" hah

Smiley_emoticons_wink

Judging by his public statements (via tweet) this morning........I don't think President Trump understands 'attorney-client privilege'. He said, "attorney-client privilege is dead!"

Of course, it's actually alive and well.

Unless an attorney is advising or representing the client on legal matters, it's not privileged. Cohen's relationship and work with Trump goes far beyond legal consultation and representation, by both Cohen's and Trump's own previous public accounts.

And, if a client and attorney engage in illegal activity together, those communications are not covered by privilege either.

04-10-2018 10:58 AM

Duchess Away
Administrator

(04-10-2018 10:58 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  Judging by his public statements (via tweet) this morning........I don't think President Trump understands 'attorney-client privilege'. He said, "attorney-client privilege is dead!"

Of course, it's actually alive and well.

Unless an attorney is advising or representing the client on legal matters, it's not privileged. Cohen's relationship and work with Trump goes far beyond legal consultation and representation, by both Cohen's and Trump's own previous public accounts.

And, if a client and attorney engage in illegal activity together, those communications are not covered by privilege either.

This is so exciting! hah Everyday is a brand new shit show and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I saw it mentioned that Cohen could be facing up to 30 years, I didn't have time early this morning to delve into that but if that's a fact I don't see him doing time for trump and it's my hope he rolls over like a dog.

Yesterday afternoon, without being prodded trump started talking about the search warrants. He sounded deranged. It was so great. Muahahahaha!

04-10-2018 11:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

(04-10-2018 11:23 AM)Duchess Wrote:  Yesterday afternoon, without being prodded trump started talking about the search warrants. He sounded deranged. It was so great. Muahahahaha!

In this case, I believe President Trump should take the advice of Republican Rep Trey Gowdy. Namely, if he's not guilty of any crimes, he should stop acting so guilty.

The President's continuous attacks on the Justice Department aren't helping him with anyone but highly biased fans in his core base and the right wing media.

For the many millions of U.S. citizens who understand separation of powers, the Constitution, and the fact that the U.S. is built on a premise of law and order where no one is above the law.......no rhetoric will change these truths:

--An investigation into Russian intervention and possible campaign collusion is not an "attack on the country". Just the opposite.

--A warranted search of the President's personal attorney is not a "break-in" or an "attack on the country".

--Jeff Sessions' recusal was legally appropriate considering his misstatements regarding his interactions with Russians during the campaign.

It is not the Attorney General's job to loyally and inappropriately shield the president. The Attorney General works for the people of the United States under clear guidelines and mandates.

It's amazing how closely Trump seems to be headed down the Nixon path. If he fires Mueller and fires (or forces the resignations of) Sessions and Rosenstein, he should be prepared for history to repeat itself with the same end result.

04-10-2018 11:47 AM

HairOfTheDog Offline

Here's an excerpt of a news article from October 1973.

Nixon Forces Firing of Cox; Richardson, Ruckelshaus Quit
President Abolishes Prosecutor's Office; FBI Seals Records

By Carroll Kilpatrick
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, October 21, 1973; Page A01

In the most traumatic government upheaval of the Watergate crisis, President Nixon yesterday discharged Special Prosecutor Archibald Cox and accepted the resignations of Attorney General Elliot L. Richardson and Deputy Attorney General William D. Ruckelshaus.

The President also abolished the office of the special prosecutor and turned over to the Justice Department the entire responsibility for further investigation and prosecution of suspects and defendants in Watergate and related cases.

Full article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/na...2173-2.htm

04-10-2018 11:53 AM

Duchess Away
Administrator

(04-10-2018 11:47 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  It is not the Attorney General's job to loyally and inappropriately shield the president. The Attorney General works for the people of the United States under clear guidelines and mandates.

I see a lot of chatter about this today. I don't know if people didn't know that or if they simply don't care or if they think the prez should be protected. I know the prez thinks he should be, he has said so. I've reminded a couple people that all those who signed off on the warrants are people that trump appointed. They are HIS people, not part of the deep, deep state. I can't even say that without laughing.

04-10-2018 12:13 PM

Duchess Away
Administrator

(04-10-2018 11:53 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  In the most traumatic government upheaval of the Watergate crisis, President Nixon yesterday discharged Special Prosecutor Archibald Cox and accepted the resignations of Attorney General Elliot L. Richardson and Deputy Attorney General William D. Ruckelshaus.

The President also abolished the office of the special prosecutor and turned over to the Justice Department the entire responsibility for further investigation and prosecution of suspects and defendants in Watergate and related cases.

Wowzers. Whatta tool. How could he not know that those actions screamed GUILTY?

04-10-2018 12:16 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

(04-10-2018 12:16 PM)Duchess Wrote:  Wowzers. Whatta tool. How could he not know that those actions screamed GUILTY?

Nixon said, "if the president does it, it's not illegal" after his impeachment and resignation.

I believe he really believed that. He thought he was above the law and thus wasn't guilty of anything.

He was an extremely smart man and pushed forth some good policies, in my opinion.

But, Nixon was also paranoid and viewed as enemies the Democrats, the media, those in the Justice Department who were doing their jobs rather than violating their oaths to loyally cover his ass...

04-10-2018 02:34 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

If yesterday's Washington Post story about Michael Cohen taping his phone conversations is true.........Cohen is an even bigger dipshit than I thought.

If the FBI raid resulted in such tapes being confiscated, anything that is covered by attorney-client privilege won't be used as evidence or released publicly.

But, just because Cohen is an attorney, doesn't mean every communication he engages in is subject to privilege -- not by a long shot.

I imagine there are plenty of people shitting their pants about the possibility that he recorded them without permission (which he reportedly bragged about doing, as is legal by New York statute).

Story: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/...2d1b0d7098

04-13-2018 01:14 PM

Maggot Offline
Supermod

I find it hard to believe that Comey at 6'7" was given a wedgie in H.S. and shoved in a locker.

04-13-2018 01:55 PM

Donovan Offline
Clarified idiot

I dont know that Cohen did that stuff because he's an idiot, or if he knew eventually it would come down to his survival or Trump. No honor among thieves.

Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
04-14-2018 08:25 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

(04-14-2018 08:25 PM)Donovan Wrote:  I dont know that Cohen did that stuff because he's an idiot, or if he knew eventually it would come down to his survival or Trump. No honor among thieves.

That's a good point; he very well might have recorded communications as potential leverage.

It's still stupid and short-sighted to me if any such recordings include Cohen engaging in criminal activity, though he appears to me to be another one who considers himself above the law.

Based on the opinions I've read from legal experts........NY prosecutors would have had to present a whole lot of probable cause to get the judge to issue a no-knock warrant on the President's attorney.

Federal prosecutors said in a court filing Friday that the criminal probe that led them to raid Cohen's offices is focused on his "personal business dealings" and has been going on for months.

In the filing with a court in New York, prosecutors blacked out a section describing what laws they believe Trump's attorney has broken, but they said the "crimes being investigated involve acts of concealment and suspected fraud."

Cohen has proclaimed that he'd take a bullet for Donald Trump. I wonder if he'd willingly leave his wife and kids to serve up to 30 years behind bars for Trump, if it came down to it.

In any case, Cohen's known to love the limelight. He's sure in it now, for all the wrong reasons.

04-15-2018 12:27 AM