Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
NET NEUTRALITY

The FCC just voted to overturn it. How about that shit.

This affects all of us. Net neutrality protects us from online censorship and our ability to access and send information on the Internet. It prevents ISPs, such as cable and telephone companies from preferring certain content, applications, or services over others.This repeal is no small thing.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Hmmm... I don’t know enough about it to form an opinion.
(12-14-2017, 02:20 PM)Duchess Wrote:

The FCC just voted to overturn it. How about that shit.

This affects all of us. Net neutrality protects us from online censorship and our ability to access and send information on the Internet. It prevents ISPs, such as cable and telephone companies from preferring certain content, applications, or services over others.This repeal is no small thing.

Honestly can't believe they overturned it. Basically they just gave permission to ATT, verizon, & comcast to monopolize the internet. -Then, just like the banks & the Auto industry, the fuck heads in Washington will deem them 'too big to fail' and guess who'll get to bail them out....
(12-15-2017, 04:38 AM)cannongal Wrote: Honestly can't believe they overturned it. Basically they just gave permission to ATT, verizon, & comcast to monopolize the internet. -Then, just like the banks & the Auto industry, the fuck heads in Washington will deem them 'too big to fail' and guess who'll get to bail them out....

Same!

Who would have thought that those who were supposed to be protecting us would throw us to the wolves instead. There isn't anyone in DC who is paying attention to the will of the people, they don't think they have to.

There are several states attorneys now suing. I don't know enough about the law to know if they will be able to help but it's my hope that they can.
They also undid a shitload of anti predatory practice laws designed to curb credit card companies and banks from robbing us blind and generally being unsavory scum.

So yay for corporate evil, I guess. Hey as long as the super rich are kept happy they might eventually share some, right? Right?
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
(12-15-2017, 01:34 PM)Donovan Wrote: They also undid a shitload of anti predatory practice laws designed to curb credit card companies and banks from robbing us blind and generally being unsavory scum.

So yay for corporate evil, I guess. Hey as long as the super rich are kept happy they might eventually share some, right? Right?

The majority of those bastards will be outta there in the next election cycle. I've never seen such a despicable group of people in my life, of course I never paid much attention to politics before now either so...
Net Neutrality is a cure only to a symptom of a problem not a cure to a problem.

The problem is your regional governments and municipalities allow for ISPs to have a monopoly. If you break that up and other ISPs come in the natural work of the free market will drive down prices and raise the amount of options.
"I’m not going to cry over it. I already did that on the way home." - Michael Scott

Mikey! Nice to see you in Mock!
(12-15-2017, 01:34 PM)Donovan Wrote: They also undid a shitload of anti predatory practice laws designed to curb credit card companies and banks from robbing us blind and generally being unsavory scum.

This very unpopular move by the FCC does not surprise me.

It's exactly the reason President Trump appointed that clown Ajit Pai to head the FCC. Pai promised to take a 'weed wacker' to 'Obama era net neutrality regulations' as one of his first official statements.

The only people who win with the reversal of net neutrality is the biggest platform corporations which have poured a lot of money into lobbying against the pro-consumer regulation. They say, as does Pai, that getting rid of net neutrality frees the internet again. It does just the opposite, in my opinion.

It lets the biggest players crowd out other industry players, slow down access to sites/apps and promote their competing sites/apps in the process, charge more for equal speed/access, etc. But, hey, it's a campaign promise next to which Trump can put a check mark.
Pai put out what he apparently thinks is a cool, funny, edgy video to promote the net neutrality reversal.

It's been taken off Youtube, possibly because he used music by bands without their authorization (the bands have threatened to take action and say they absolutely don't support the reversal of net neutrality).

But, you can see Pai's propaganda video embedded inside the video below -- starting at the 1:45 minute mark.

(12-15-2017, 03:31 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Mikey! Nice to see you in Mock!

Hi Duchess, I haven't posted in about 5 years. I was on another site but it recently got closed down.
"I’m not going to cry over it. I already did that on the way home." - Michael Scott
(12-15-2017, 03:50 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:

This very unpopular move by the FCC does not surprise me.

It's exactly the reason President Trump appointed that clown Ajit Pai to head the FCC. Pai promised to take a 'weed wacker' to 'Obama era net neutrality regulations' as one of his first official statements.

The only people who win with the reversal of net neutrality is the biggest platform corporations which have poured a lot of money into lobbying against the pro-consumer regulation. They say, as does Pai, that getting rid of net neutrality frees the internet again. It does just the opposite, in my opinion.

It lets the biggest players crowd out other industry players, slow down access to sites/apps and promote their competing sites/apps in the process, charge more for equal speed/access, etc. But, hey, it's a campaign promise next to which Trump can put a check mark.

That must be why Google is protesting it.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
You can use a clip of a song if your video is not monetized. It's called fair use. Pai's was not monetized.