Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Do you think it's right
sally Away
sally

Do you think it's right

to euthanize a dog that still has life in him, but can no longer walk because his hind legs are so old and worn? A dog who is not in pain, still enjoys food and playfully rolls in your lap, but can no longer get up to shit and piss so you clean up his shit and piss all day. A dog that you let out for a walk and he can't make it out of the driveway, but still has a gleam in his eye when he looks down the road and tries to scoot on his ass just to go for a walk. So would you kill him?

01-16-2018 09:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

Maggot Offline
Supermod

RE: Do you think it's right

Probably, whats it's name? I knew a guy that had an old hunting dog. That thing would retrieve a duck in any swamp and in any body of water. A really good dog with the kids and so very faithful that he just oozed enthusiasm. After 15 yrs of doing it he ended up running away for a week and ended up coming home to die on the doorstep. Get rid of him and get a pup that can do the whole thing over again, don't be like User and end up prolonging the inevitable. It's a dog and they know when their time has come. Humans don't see it but the dog does. Some people spend thousands but in the end it's a dog. Mr. Bojangles grieved for 20 years after his dog died.

01-16-2018 10:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

sally Away
sally

Fuck no I'm not getting another pup. I'm never getting another pet again.

01-16-2018 10:47 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

I don't think it's wrong to keep him alive so long as you're convinced he's not in pain, he still has good quality of life, and you have the time and money to provide all the assistance he needs.

Otherwise, it's selfish to keep him alive, to me -- not a bad heartless kind of selfish, but the kind that stems from not being able to let go because you love him and you'd miss having him around.

01-17-2018 12:33 AM

sally Away
sally

The thing is he's pissing all over himself and it smells like death. Plus he's 150 lbs so it's not like he's a small dog that I can just wash up in the laundry tub. He doesn't have a good quality of life because he can't walk, but he's not sick and in pain. He still acts like a happy dog even though he has to scoot on his ass to move. It sucks because I'd have an easier time euthanizing him if he was just laying there depressed and sick, but he's fine except for his legs.

01-17-2018 10:36 AM

Maggot Offline
Supermod

Borrow a couple of your husbands depends and try them on the dog.

01-17-2018 11:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

Duchess Away
Administrator

(01-16-2018 09:00 PM)sally Wrote:  So would you kill him?

No, but that's just who I am. I'm willing to invest time and love and anything that goes with caring for an animal in that condition. I would never prolong a life if I didn't feel there was still value in that life. I would do the right thing for an animal in pain who was living in misery, I would never keep an animal alive simply to spare my own feelings.

I have 2 close friends who are going through the same thing you are. My girlfriend has a little dog who now wears diapers because he pees when he falls asleep and my guy friend just had his dog euthanized after spending more than a year doing exactly what you're doing right now. Both these people feel that their pet was worth the trouble.

Having said all that, I would never condemn anyone who took the easier route.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
01-17-2018 12:43 PM

sally Away
sally

Yeah ive been doing it for about a year now, but its getting worse where sometimes he doesnt even try to get up, he just poops and pees where hes laying. I dont know how he'd feel about me trying to put Depends on him.

01-17-2018 01:20 PM

Duchess Away
Administrator

(01-17-2018 01:20 PM)sally Wrote:  Yeah ive been doing it for about a year now, but its getting worse where sometimes he doesnt even try to get up, he just poops and pees where hes laying. I dont know how he'd feel about me trying to put Depends on him.

I know this isn't easy and I'm very sorry, honey. 72

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
01-17-2018 02:10 PM

SIXFOOTERsez Offline
Mocker

Not an easy choice but I would probably put him down. I am not as kind a soul as Duchess and would not likely to invest that much time and care. Wouldn't be a day I would enjoy though

01-17-2018 02:51 PM

Love Child Offline
Mocker

This is a tough decision to make, the dog will tell you when it is time, or it will just die. Otherwise the quality of life for both of you needs to be considered.
My sister's dog was blind and had diabetes, which was managed for quite a few years. Finally in its last week of life it could not stand up, and they lifted it to go outside, and the last night he was howling in pain...so it was time. : (
My cat died on her own and I was giving her subquetanious injections of water each night. That was tough.

01-17-2018 04:27 PM

Blindgreed1 Offline
Mocker

It's time to put him down.

01-17-2018 05:42 PM

Carsman Offline
Bad Mocker

(01-17-2018 10:36 AM)sally Wrote:  The thing is he's pissing all over himself and it smells like death. Plus he's 150 lbs so it's not like he's a small dog that I can just wash up in the laundry tub. He doesn't have a good quality of life because he can't walk, but he's not sick and in pain. He still acts like a happy dog even though he has to scoot on his ass to move. It sucks because I'd have an easier time euthanizing him if he was just laying there depressed and sick, but he's fine except for his legs.

Sorry for your "big" problem.
He's "Big", so of coarse that's the difficult part for you, having to "clean up a ton" of shitty-piss" every day! And it will only continue for the rest of his life.
Since he can't walk, his "quality" of life is next to non existent.
He won't be getting better, so it's up to you just "how long" you can put up with your furry family member's situation.
"15" dog years is said to be "105" human years, so it's about time. Signs_173

Carsman: Loves Living Large

Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!
01-17-2018 06:22 PM

sally Away
sally

(01-17-2018 05:42 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote:  It's time to put him down.

Yeah I suppose so. When I sit down with him he puts his head in my lap and rolls around like a big puppy so I don't know how I'm going to look him in the eye when the vet comes over to give him the shot.

01-17-2018 07:17 PM