Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Missing Trevyan Rowe (14)
(03-13-2018, 12:20 PM)BigMark Wrote: At my school you were harassed for being white.

I'd bet money you were harassed for being a punk.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
My elementary and middle schools were in the ghetto. They were so damn ghetto both have been closed and torn down.
(03-13-2018, 07:13 PM)Donovan Wrote:
(03-13-2018, 12:20 PM)BigMark Wrote: At my school you were harassed for being white.

I'd bet money you were harassed for being a punk.

I know that makes you feel better about yourself, so yeah I was a punk. Happy now?
(03-13-2018, 07:55 AM)Donovan Wrote: There is another story being told, as yet unconfirmed to my knowledge, that Trevyan was inadvertently marked as present despite obviously being gone. There are a lot of stories going around right now, most focusing on whatever the school did to fail him.

That story has now been confirmed.

Three separate teachers at School 12 failed to mark Trevyan absent that day. That's why no auto-call was made to his parent. Worse, one teacher attempted to alter the attendance record to 'absent' after Trevyan was reported missing.

Trevyan was classified as having a 'learning disability' not 'austism', which is described as a possible mis-classification by the school in the linked article below. Trevyan did, in fact, have autism.

I know the schools get piled on with regulations, don't get enough money to enforce them diligently, and that the teachers are underpaid. Those are serious problems that need to be fixed.

But, Trevyan was in classes of 15 students or less. I don't think there's any rational excuse for his teachers failing to do basic roll call/attendance or not to simply notice he wasn't there by sight. That's really negligent, to me.

School authorities are taking full responsibility for their failure, which is good. But, the superintendent also said that even if he'd been properly marked 'absent' the auto-call wouldn't likely have saved Trevyan's life because those calls don't go out until hours after attendance is taken and Trevyan was spotted on the bridge before his mother would have received the call.

The superintendent says she is requesting funding for an attendance clerk for each district. The clerk would personally call parents shortly after their children were reported 'absent'.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/sto...420776002/
Schools are required today to take all students, some cannot walk, talk,write, interact or even eat without help, it drains the resources of the school even though they are getting some money from the feds. I'm not saying this kid was as bad as all that but schools today really take on quite a burden more so than what they used to. Many students should be in specialized schools but are not. It's all pretty much about money. Many school budgets are faced with pensions that are a bit unrealistic without employees contributing as much as they should. But they try their best and sometimes it's just not good enough.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
It looks like there is plenty of blame to go around.

Quoted from News Article:
"(Rochester) City officials announce that six 911-center employees have been suspended after it was determined that 911 calls were not properly dispatched and employees did not follow protocol. New mandatory training starts Tuesday and is designed to ensure 911-center employees understand when to dispatch fire and rescue."
I was just getting ready to say that about the 911 operators. Apparently about half a dozen calls came in reporting a kid on the bridge overlooking the river and looking scared. They dispatched a state trooper but did not dispatch fire rescue or notify scuba team of a possible jump, which is protocol in these situations. Troop saw nothing, which in retrospect means he likely had fallen in already, but he could have been saved perhaps.

Tough situation made worse by the neglect of the people charged with his supervision/welfare.

Another story making the rounds is that Trevyan was not officially diagnosed as autistic spectrum, that he was in the special needs classes but his parents had not gone past the first step to get a clinical diagnoses with assorted paperwork and mandated clinical stuff, which would explain why he wasn't being met or otherwise monitored.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
You have to pretty much blame the parents.
That is incorrect in this case. And unsurprisingly obtuse.
(03-15-2018, 11:06 AM)Donovan Wrote: That is incorrect in this case. And unsurprisingly obtuse.

You and quite a few parents believe that school is a free daycare. It is what it is and until it changes things will remain the same.
(03-15-2018, 11:23 AM)Maggot Wrote:
(03-15-2018, 11:06 AM)Donovan Wrote: That is incorrect in this case. And unsurprisingly obtuse.

You and quite a few parents believe that school is a free daycare. It is what it is and until it changes things will remain the same.
You don't have any idea what I believe with regard to schools, but like with every other topic you weigh in on, don't let your ignorance get in the way of your need to bump your gums.