STUDENTS WALKOUT

I wasn't sure where to put this thread let alone what to call it. I'm not opposed to suggestions from those who are more clever than I am.

Today across America they are walking out of their schools to protest, some of them are being banned from doing so. Do you support these kids?

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Nope. Most are doing it to get out of classes and have no clue why. They are kids.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(03-14-2018, 04:07 PM)Maggot Wrote: Nope. Most are doing it to get out of classes and have no clue why. They are kids.

yes, I support the walkouts....."to get out of classes," .....surely you jest, Maggot, if you listened to them talk....they are tired of their friends being killed while in school. I admire their courage and feel they will effect more social change than the politicians and I applaud them....if you listen to them talk, they make more sense and are more intelligent than our elected officials and many of the adults in their lives....
Thousands of these kids will be 18 and able to vote so I wouldn't discount their power and, I, for one, am proud of every single one including my granddaughter who participated with her school.
P.s..I know you were just kidding about kids just wanting to get out of school....you just pretend to be dumb at times.....hahhahhah
(03-14-2018, 04:28 PM)blueberryhill Wrote: if you listen to them talk, they make more sense and are more intelligent than our elected officials and many of the adults in their lives....

I've thought that so many times in the past month. The ones I've seen are poised & articulate, they are very bright. I'm anticipating the march on the 24th and I'm hoping it's even bigger than the women's march. That was really something to see. I was so damn proud of my fellow humans, I don't feel that much these days, in general.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I'm on the same page as Blueberry and Duchess; fully in support of the students.

Some of them missed many days of school after having been the targets of mass shooters and having watched their classmates die brutal deaths.

I don't think they celebrated those deaths because it got them out of school for several days any more than I think they're staging walk outs to miss school.

These students are putting their education to good use in working to affect change which they believe will improve lives and save lives. And, in my opinion, organizing and participating in the social/political process is highly educational in itself (much more so than a standard day behind a classroom desk).
Why am I seeing pictures of elementary school students doing the walkouts?
(03-14-2018, 05:14 PM)sally Wrote: Why am I seeing pictures of elementary school students doing the walkouts?

I'm not sure I understand your question Sal.

Elementary school children have been the targets of mass shooters and see what's happening with other mass shootings in our country.

Do you think it's wrong that some of them are protesting gun violence and lax gun laws?
(03-14-2018, 05:14 PM)sally Wrote: Why am I seeing pictures of elementary school students doing the walkouts?

Have another beer, Sal.
(03-14-2018, 05:19 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:

I'm not sure I understand your question Sal.

Elementary school children have been the targets of mass shooters and see what's happening with other mass shootings in our country.

Do you think it's wrong that some of them are protesting gun violence and lax gun laws?

I think elementary and middle school children should go to school to study and that's it, not protest political agendas. Let the parents do that with them on their own time if that's what they wish to do, it's not for school. As far as the high school students, I don't support that either. It was organized by the women's march, not the students. And I agree with Maggot, it just gave most the kids an excuse to fuck off. Half of them probably jumped the fence and were out smoking cigarettes or vaping.
(03-14-2018, 05:20 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote:

Have another beer, Sal.

Fuck off.
(03-14-2018, 06:10 PM)sally Wrote: I think elementary and middle school children should go to school to study and that's it, not protest political agendas. Let the parents do that with them on their own time if that's what they wish to do, it's not for school. As far as the high school students, I don't support that either. It was organized by the women's march, not the students. And I agree with Maggot, it just gave most the kids an excuse to fuck off. Half of them probably jumped the fence and were out smoking cigarettes or vaping.

That's fine. I disagree with you and Maggot.

Since elementary children are undergoing active shooter drills just to go to school and now face having armed teachers in their classrooms, guns are already part of their educational experience.

And, if the parents of elementary school children want to take them to protests against gun violence, I think that's the parents' decision -- not your's or mine.

As for the #ENOUGH walk-outs, they were developed and organized by the students along with other organizations with a shared goal. You're wrong about the students not being organizers of the walk outs.
(03-14-2018, 06:38 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: And, if the parents of elementary school children want to take them to protests against gun violence, I think that's the parents' decision -- not your's or mine.

I agree, which is why I said to do it on their own time, not the public school's time.
I understand.

But, I also understand the desire to hold the protest during school hours -- 17 days after 17 students were shot to death at school.

And, it's the students', teachers', and parents' time as much as it is the public schools' time, in my view.

Anyway, the March for Our Lives is scheduled for March 24th. That's a Saturday, so it should be a lot bigger and not rankle any of the school officials and other people who disagreed with the timing of today's peaceful walk out.
Sorry, correction: the timing of today's walk out was 17 minutes for the 17 victims on the one-month anniversary of the Stoneman Douglas shooting.
I support their right to march and protest but wish it was on their own time and not school hours.

I do however respect their zeal, and the organizing ability of the EMPOWER / Woman's March handlers who brought it about.
The Youth Empowerment branch of the Women's March was established last year to help young people organize their causes. The students from Florida and across the country were able to use those resources well. The Stoneman Douglas students did a whole lot of the work via televised media and social media. It was an effective partnership, I agree.
(03-14-2018, 06:10 PM)sally Wrote:

Have another beer, Sal.

Fuck off.

So predictable.

The people that love to constantly dish the shit have a real hard time when it’s tossed back at ‘em.

Sleep tight, Sal.
(03-14-2018, 08:25 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 06:10 PM)sally Wrote:

Have another beer, Sal.

Fuck off.

So predictable.

The people that love to constantly dish the shit have a real hard time when it’s tossed back at ‘em.

Sleep tight, Sal.

Yeah, because I've only been told to "have another beer" in here ten thousand times now. You think this is the straw that broke the camel's back?

I just felt like telling you to fuck off for no particular reason other than you're a dipshit.
To those of you who think the students should have walked on their own time, I disagree...their fellow students were killed during public school hours and what the hell difference does it make, if they can effect positive social change in a country who ranks number 1 in deaths by guns......

The plan was to use 17 minutes, a minute each for the victims in FL....however, if they allowed time for all kids and even other victims at malls, clubs, concerts, movies, etc. they would have had to walk out for more than 24 hours......like Hair said, this is a great learning experience for them......they understand the importance of legislation to make their schools safer....how important it is to vote....to stand up for their rights,etc...

If the power of these kids results in less deaths sometime in the future, what an achievement for our youngest generation...... i have utmost respect toward them....
I heard some of them say they were 18 and planned to vote in November.....and that it is a good thing.
It must be wonderful to live your life seeing unicorns fart rainbow glitter.