Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
I sent a State Rep through the roof today
HairOfTheDog Offline

RE: I sent a State Rep through the roof today

(04-05-2018 02:19 PM)Maggot Wrote:  
(04-05-2018 01:03 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  -------------------------------
Is your proposal that the state of New Hampshire also forgo the tax revenue from marijuana sales if the state limits those transactions to liquor stores Mags?

The state still taxes things like gas, tobacco, booze before sales they just don't tax a "sale" so it would be taxed. I believe all states do but a sales tax is different.

Yeah, there are state taxes and retail excise taxes. I know Colorado recently got rid of the sales tax on marijuana sales, which amounted to millions of dollars per month. But, the state increased the retailer's tax by a higher percentage than the previous consumer sales tax percent percentage.

I would always rather have private businesses operating under state regulation than state-owned industries and price setting when it comes to goods. But, I understand your point about the state-run liquor business having an infrastructure that could be highly leveraged when marijuana is legalized in NH.

After reading up on it a little...........I'm surprised the State Representative you spoke with reacted so strongly, unless he's a Republican and sides with Governor Sununu in opposing legalization altogether.

Washington already has the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board. In Oregon, the enforcement of liquor and marijuana law is up to the Oregon Liquor Control Commission. And the New Hampshire commission studying legalization heard earlier this year from Erika McConnell, director of the Alaska Alcohol & Marijuana Control Office.

I read that NH State Rep. Dan Eaton, a Democrat from Stoddard, voted in favor of a bill earlier this year to legalize up to an ounce of marijuana for adults. He says it makes sense that the New Hampshire Liquor Commission would be involved in the hypothetical legalization of recreational pot. http://nhpr.org/post/liquor-commission-s...l#stream/0

04-06-2018 10:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

Maggot Offline
Supermod

No he is a Democrat. I just didn't get any reason why not from him. Like I said I think the legislature was doing other things as far as licensing goes and they had put lots of work into it and did not want to change things as it got closer to a vote. Which I think is a shame, it would cost much less going through established branches.[/b]

04-06-2018 11:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

The liquor industry really wants to control and limit the emerging legal marijuana business -- for control, profit and growth reasons. I get that. Some state governments and citizens support that and others oppose it. That's not only true in the U.S.

As posted upthread, the small province of Nova Scotia, Canada is moving towards selling pot in liquor stores.

However, the larger province of British Columbia will sell marijuana in a mixture of privately owned and publicly owned outlets, none of which will be liquor stores.

Under the BC model, it would be possible for a stand-alone cannabis retail outlet to be established next door to a liquor store, but not within its doors.

BC rejected the selling of cannabis in liquor stores, known as “co-location,” despite a campaign by an unlikely alliance of private liquor retailers and unionized public liquor store workers to allow for the sale of the products side by side.

That alliance has argued that liquor stores already have the infrastructure in place to safely handle cannabis, and that staff are well trained to prevent the sale to minors or intoxicated people.

However, public health experts including former Chief Provincial Health Officer Dr. Perry Kendall have argued against co-location.

Those experts argued that while 80 per cent of British Columbians consume alcohol, just 17 per cent say they use cannabis.

On one hand, they argued, making cannabis available in any of B.C.’s nearly 900 public and private liquor outlets could increase marijuana use, while on the other hand, it could expose people seeking marijuana who have addiction issues to alcohol. I get that; I think marijuana is much less dangerous to people's health than liquor and pills and has a lot of potential (and proven success) in helping liquor and opioid addicts to kick or curb reliance on those substances.

It's interesting watching the legalization of marijuana take hold. Now, if only the U.S. Federal government and Attorney General Jeff Sessions would pull their heads outta their asses by reclassifying marijuana accurately and quit harassing state legalized retailers and distributors.

Ref: https://globalnews.ca/news/4005829/b-c-t...own-grass/

04-06-2018 11:28 AM

Maggot Offline
Supermod

I think the entire process will open a Pandora's box of problems. Some of the stuff they sell in those stores is so powerful it sends people over the top. I've always said that weed is not as bad as alcohol but when THC is sold in such concentrated concoctions it becomes almost as bad. The stuff they sell is powerful stuff not your grandfathers weed that's for sure.

04-06-2018 11:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

Yeah, potent strains is one of the reasons I personally don't like the idea of the legal marijuana industry being controlled by the liquor industry, with marijuana distribution through liquor stores (except perhaps low-dose THC products in small quantities).

I think it's better for business growth and consumer safety if marijuana experts and medical professionals are heavily involved in setting regulations and interfacing with consumers.

But, the liquor industry ownership, regulation, and distribution is different across U.S. states and the legal marijuana industry will be too.

04-06-2018 11:44 AM

Blindgreed1 Offline
Mocker

(04-06-2018 11:36 AM)Maggot Wrote:  I think the entire process will open a Pandora's box of problems. Some of the stuff they sell in those stores is so powerful it sends people over the top. I've always said that weed is not as bad as alcohol but when THC is sold in such concentrated concoctions it becomes almost as bad. The stuff they sell is powerful stuff not your grandfathers weed that's for sure.
I know someone who works at a dispensary here (shocker I know), and some of the stuff they sell doesn't get you high at all. It's purely medicinal. So, its not what a lot of people think it is. I don't understand most of the laws that govern it here, but they are pulling money down hand over fist. For example, one of the stipulations here is that the product needs to be grown and processed on the dispensary property. WTF is the point of that? Seriously, I don't see why that would be important. This dispensary can't keep their shelves stocked. Demand outweighs supply but the shop is pulling down 12 a mil per week, so I foresee a franchise chain opportunity somewhere in the near future. The "master growers" here pretty much name their price for the dispensaries they service, and people like my friend learn from them and will someday be a "mg" himself thereby naming his own price. It's basically an apprenticeship.

04-06-2018 01:02 PM

Duchess Away
Administrator

I've been smokin' weed from a dispensary for quite awhile now. All the weed is named and it's the best pot I've ever smoked.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
04-06-2018 02:07 PM

Maggot Offline
Supermod

I was getting a burlap sack full from a guy growing it in Maine for a few years it would last all year. He has "retired" though and if I go to Mass they sell it there. No wonder all the drug dealers are turning to heroin and fentenal.

04-06-2018 02:31 PM