Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
VOTING RIGHTS
Duchess Away
Administrator

VOTING RIGHTS

If you've paid your debt to society do you deserve to have your voting rights restored?

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
04-08-2018 11:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

RE: VOTING RIGHTS

(04-08-2018 11:10 AM)Duchess Wrote:  
If you've paid your debt to society do you deserve to have your voting rights restored?

I say 'yes'.

Here in California, citizens with felony records can vote if they're not incarcerated in prison and have completed any parole requirements at the time of the election.

Essentially, once they've paid their debt and had their full civil rights restored, citizens in California can vote. That's the way it should be nationally, in my opinion.

But, it's up to the individual states and some states have very old laws on the books which disenfranchise a hell of a lot of people who've paid their debts from voting; Florida (especially), Iowa, and Kentucky are the most prohibitive -- accounting for millions of lost potential votes.

Considering the U.S. has the highest incarceration rate per-capita in the world, it shouldn't have surprised me when I read that more than 6 million U.S. citizens who'd paid their debts under the criminal justice system were nonetheless prohibited from voting in 2016. But, it did surprise me. That's more citizens than the population of most of the states in our republic.

04-08-2018 12:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

Carsman Offline
Bad Mocker

I say yes also, with the exception of "heinous" crimes committed.
No voting penalty should still apply for that type crime.

Carsman: Loves Living Large

Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!
04-09-2018 06:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

Maggot Offline
Supermod

(04-09-2018 06:18 AM)Carsman Wrote:  .

I say yes also, with the exception of "heinous" crimes committed.
No voting penalty should still apply for that type crime.

Quite a few times I see someone getting Paroled after killing someone the Afluenza kid that killed people driving drunk comes to mind. They should not be voting but how the heck do you regulate that crap?

04-09-2018 11:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply