Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
NORTH KOREA & NUKES -- IS CHANGE ON THE HORIZON?
(04-30-2018, 12:39 PM)Maggot Wrote: I hope if Trump gets the Nobel prize that he refuses it.

28 You REALLY think he'd decline something Obama got?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
The Nobel prize is like getting a participation trophy, not worth the metal its stamped on. Given by leftists to leftists. Trump would never get it at any rate. So its worthless to even consider it. Like I said before rocket man will get it before Trump does.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Trump had people forge a nomination for him to get the Nobel Prize.

Twice.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/world...ation.html

Trump craves adulation as much as money. Maybe more. He can't believe he isn't beloved. So there is no way he'd turn it down if offered.

However, I think he won't get it. I also think that when Maggot says Leftists what he means is "decent human beings," which I suppose would be an insult from his point of view but I have a hard time understanding why.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.

I'm never going to normalize trump. Not ever.
(04-30-2018, 03:01 PM)Donovan Wrote: Trump had people forge a nomination for him to get the Nobel Prize.

Twice.

Trump craves adulation as much as money. Maybe more. He can't believe he isn't beloved. So there is no way he'd turn it down if offered.

However, I think he won't get it. I also think that when Maggot says Leftists what he means is "decent human beings," which I suppose would be an insult from his point of view but I have a hard time understanding why.

I agree that trump is an attention whore, looking for personal verification. The media attacks him often and he is lambasted for his opinions, but if you look at what he has accomplished in foreign policy, the economy and even racial matters and immigration you have to admit he has tried. He even offered to relieve a ton of people from their immigration status as "illegal"

Oh well, its not the end of the world. The U.S.A. is a fairly spoiled bunch of people compared to other countries.
(04-30-2018, 04:00 PM)Maggot Wrote: The U.S.A. is a fairly spoiled bunch of people compared to other countries.

Fuckin' aye. No place else I'd rather live. Canadians have it pretty good too.
(04-30-2018, 05:44 PM)Duchess Wrote: Canadians have it pretty good too.[/i][/size]

You wouldn't think so, judging by their National Anthem.

Smiley_emoticons_biggrinRun1
(04-30-2018, 03:01 PM)Donovan Wrote: Trump had people forge a nomination for him to get the Nobel Prize.

Twice.

hah Pitiful yet amusing, and not surprising.

I still think his angst and obsession about not earning an emmy award + not making the cover of TIME magazine is slightly funnier.

Hanging a fake TIME cover (as if it were real) at his golf courses for years is even funnier still, to me.

[Image: 5952c4c8d084cc08538b57a9-750-563.png]
Background story: https://www.cnn.com/specials/politics/us-security

He finally did actually make the TIME cover though, so maybe he'll get a Nobel Peace Prize too? It's a mad mad world in politics these days. So, I rarely say 'never' anymore.

Anyway, I agree with you and Duchess................no way in hell that Trump would refuse the Nobel Peace Prize, or even humbly admit that he didn't really deserve it (which is what Obama did).

However, if getting the prize motivates Trump to help stabilize the peninsula and it really happens......................I'd hand it to him myself.
Na, he would never accept it.
What is Kim Jong-un telling North Koreans ahead of the Nuclear Summit?

North Korea said U.S. sanctions aren’t the reason behind its willingness to remove nuclear weapons from peninsula, accusing its adversary of trying to ramp up tensions ahead of a summit between leaders of the countries.

The U.S. is misleading the public by saying its sanctions are working, KCNA said on Sunday. America isn’t being helpful if it continues to characterize North Korea’s steps as a sign of weakness, while pressuring and making military threats, the North’s state-run news agency said.

The warnings from North Korea are a reminder that it will seek to project an image of strength for domestic and overseas audiences, even as the country says it’s moving forward with rapprochement with the U.S. and South Korea.

KCNA’s missive follows U.S. President Donald Trump’s statement on Friday that a date and place have been set for his summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. While official details haven’t been released, South Korean newspapers have reported that the meeting will most likely take place in the third week of June in Singapore.

In a separate KCNA report, North Korea gave credit to Kim for the diplomatic breakthroughs, saying that his “boldness, patriotism and leadership” contributed to building the peace talks. North Korea warned that U.S. claims of forcing change on the country is a deliberate provocation that will pour “cold water onto the current atmosphere of dialog and reverse the situation to square one,” KCNA said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...earization
President Trump and company should be more careful not to count their chickens before they're hatched, in my opinion. GOP members petitioning for Trump to get a Nobel Peace Prize because Moon and Kim have agreed to aim for peace is premature and unhelpful in achieving the goal.

There have been positive steps in de-escalating tensions in the peninsula, and Kim has succeeded in getting some of the global praise and recognition he desires.

But, there are still zero formal agreements securing NK de-nuclearization. And, there is no guarantee that Kim is going to agree to destroying its nuclear arsenal and to never using nukes under any circumstances. Those are the kind of terms that Trump is saying should have been part of the Iran Nuclear agreement. There's nothing to indicate that Kim would ever make such a lifetime commitment any more than Iran would.

Giuliani publicly pretending to rip up the Iran Nuclear agreement and advocating for regime change in the country (saying that's what Trump wants as much as he does) was another stupid ill-advised piece of political theater. I think that stunt this weekend could negatively impact the likelihood of securing a bi-lateral or multi-literal de-nuclearization agreement with Kim or any other country's regime.
North Korea exists in it present form solely because of China, what Trump negotiates with China will be what happens.
(05-07-2018, 12:30 AM)BigMark Wrote: North Korea exists in it present form solely because of China, what Trump negotiates with China will be what happens.

China does not control North Korea literally or figuratively. And the U.S. most certainly does not control Xi's China. Chinese economic sanctions against North Korea can severely punish Kim and the North Korean people, but that's not going to achieve NK de-nuclearization.

What Xi wants most is stabilization of the peninsula; that includes dramatic reduction of all the U.S. forces there which China does not welcome.

China would prefer it if NK was denuclearized, of course. However, China does not want to be responsible for starving North Koreans to death nor taking in millions of North Korean refugees if sudden regime change were to occur in NK.

I assume China would also not welcome western occupation of NK and/or having to suddenly take on a leadership role in Korean re-unification or temporary ruling over very poor North Korea. That could set back China's global economic goals.

Anyway, the U.S. and China will not solely determine North Korea's future. The reason Kim has built the country's identity around nuclearization is to secure its autonomy and his own power. Kim and South Korean President Moon really are key players in what happens next.

I do not believe that Kim is going to agree to anything more than halting nuclear testing (the testing has already been completed anyway) and halting new nuclear weapon development, if the terms of negotiation benefit North Korea economically. I think it would be a mistake for Trump to assume that he or Xi can force rather than negotiate the terms of the deal without very serious repercussions.
Urine i dot on this subject, maybe your headboard has no padding.
(05-07-2018, 02:30 AM)BigMark Wrote: Urine i dot on this subject, maybe your headboard has no padding.

Calling me an i dot only confirms that ewes a more on UNLESS you're prepared to counter my understanding of the facts and my opinions on the subject Biggie.

If you think that China is willing to simply take orders barked or whispered by any U.S. administration, you're wrong. China will do what's in its own best interests, which are often not aligned with the U.S.'s goals and demands.

China is not welcoming of U.S. attempts to exert more power in Asia and does not want a unified Korea if it means the U.S. will employ forces along the NK/China border. At present, NK is China's geographic buffer to U.S. influence via South Korea.

Xi is not an idiot and does not blindly trust the U.S. I imagine that's more true now than it has been in years, given Trump's bad faith actions in reneging on multi-later agreements which required years of negotiations between multiple nations.

Trump's claims that he and Xi are good friends and all that jazz are fine. But, there's a lot more to foreign policy and relations than pleasant public statements and chummy photos. And, trade and tariff threats will not transform China into a U.S. lapdog.

China and Russia are more in alignment. Neither country wants the U.S. acting as a unilateral world power which uses threats and force to dictate to the rest of the world and force regime change. They've made that clear in regards to Syria. They've jointly expressed their opposition to Trump's demands regarding the Iran Nuclear Agreement. And both Xi and Putin (whose countries share borders with NK) have been strong in their assertions that a de-nuclearized North Korea can not be an invitation for the U.S. to militarize further in the region, just the opposite.

Your belief that Trump, with pressured help from Xi, will alone determine the future of North Korea is an example of why so many people in other countries consider the U.S. the real global threat -- ignorant hubris and complete disregard for other parties with greater or equal vested interested in the outcome.
I'm saying without China there will be no Peace with North Korea.
(05-07-2018, 05:40 PM)BigMark Wrote: I'm saying without China there will be no Peace with North Korea.

Oh, that's different than your initial assertion that "what Trump negotiates with China is what will happen", which entirely dismissed North Korea, South Korea, Russia, Japan, etc.....

I agree that China is a key player. Xi does not want the U.S. to normalize relations with North Korea if it means the U.S. has more influence over North Korea than does China. And, the U.S. does not want to assume economic support of North Korea's impoverished citizens during any transition if China cuts off its trade with NK.
It was good to read that the three U.S. citizens held hostage in North Korea have been released and are en-route home with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.

[Image: FS_TRUMP-NORTH-KOREA-US-HOSTAGES-768x432.jpg]
They are reportedly in good health.

It was disappointing that President Trump preceded their release with yet another bullshit jab at Obama.

A week ago today, Trump tweeted "As everybody is aware, the past Administration has long been asking for three hostages to be released from a North Korean Labor camp, but to no avail. Stay tuned!"

Of course, Trump does not speak for everybody. Many of us know butt-hurt lies and posturing when we see it; we know that two of the three men were taken hostage during the Trump presidency.

In any case, the Trump Administration deserves credit for bringing these men home to their families. Hopefully, this is a good sign in terms of reaching a nuclear agreement with North Korea, though I remain very skeptical that North Korea is going to agree to permanently abandoning its nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles.
(05-09-2018, 10:38 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: It was good to read that the three U.S. citizens held hostage in North Korea have been released and are en-route home with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.

It's wonderful to know they are coming home to their families. Smiley_emoticons_smile
(05-09-2018, 12:31 PM)Duchess Wrote: It's wonderful to know they are coming home to their families. Smiley_emoticons_smile

Yeah, it really is. They're currently undergoing medical evaluation before being reunited with their families.

[Image: 2018-05-10T071311Z_1_LYNXMPEE490HQ_RTROP...95x447.jpg]

Speaking early Thursday on an air base tarmac with the former detainees by his side, Trump called it a "great honor" to welcome the men to the U.S., but said "the true honor is going to be if we have a victory in getting rid of nuclear weapons."

Trump also thanked North Korea's Kim Jong Un for releasing the Americans and said he believes Kim wants to reach an agreement on denuclearization at their upcoming summit. "I really think he wants to do something," the president said.

When asked by reporters how it felt to be home, one of the men answered through a translator, "It's like a dream; we are very, very happy." They later gave the president a round of applause.

The White House carefully choreographed the event, hoisting a giant American flag between two fire trucks on the tarmac and inviting reporters to witness the return.

The image-conscious president told reporters, "I think you probably broke the all-time-in-history television rating for 3 o'clock in the morning."

Hours later, Trump tweeted, "On behalf of the American people, WELCOME HOME!"

Full story: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/natio...story.html