Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
EPA

Why do some people dislike the EPA? Please, be specific because I'm trying to get an understanding of that point of view. Right now all I can think is why would anyone be against clean water, clean air, clean nature in general.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I don't like that they allowed a mine to release a bunch of toxic yellow crap into the water a year or two ago. They were responsible and nothing happened.

I don't like that some places will not allow people to collect rainwater from their roof

I don't like that military bases are not treated the same way as the public as far as toxic waste is concerned
I do not like needless regulation and I know I can find a shit ton. A generalized question usually needs to be picked apart today.

I don't like that farmers cannot create ponds for the purpose of water collection during dry days or divert streams in and out of them on their own property to keep them aerated.

I'm sure someone that spends a few hrs looking up things before answering off the top of their head like I just did may have more involved answers and links to sites that can be found to dispute any number of things I just said though.

Although there is a movement out there that is going after law enforcement everywhere from Cops to ICE to the EPA all enforcement branches that enforce laws created by politicians. It's pathetic.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

I wasn't aware of any of that, Maggot. I am revolted that toxins would be released in any waterways. I don't like pollution and I'm against it in all forms. Having said that, I don't drive an electric car and I really enjoy having a fire in my fireplaces. I like it a lot.

It's absurd that people can't can't collect rainwater. Is that for real?

I'm at work so I don't have a ton of time to research much but..........

Collection of rainwater blog[/b]
Here is the mine spill from 2015...........

gold king mine spill
(07-11-2018, 04:13 PM)Maggot Wrote: Here is the mine spill from 2015...........

gold king mine spill
I remember this. It was all over the news. The EPA finally admitted they screwed up and caused this, you know what they did about it? They apologized. The EPA is a revenue generating agency. They don't give a single fuck about the environment, all they care about is how much in fines they generate.
Technically the rain that lands on your property is not yours here, they have been ignoring it and allowing and even requiring harvesting, its a crazy mixed up world.
I don't hate the EPA, but they have definitely fucked up (like virtually every government agency, at some point).

Earlier on, for example, the federal EPA was worthless at best and complicit at worst in regards to the Flint, Michigan drinking water disaster and cover up. Now, at least, they're on it and devoting considerable resources to the crisis.

I don't agree with politicians actively working to undermine important agencies like the EPA. The country needs a national body to advocate and protect the environment (and the life therein) from corporate polluters and other greedy fuckers.

When the EPA fucks up, the responsible leaders and agents should be held accountable and the agency should be pushed for continued improvement and effectiveness. It should not be run into the ground by a greedy grifter at the top (so long Pruitt) and/or starved of resources / power.
google "waters of the USA"

I watched this term grow into the present day boondoggle over the past 40 years.

The EPA has very little to do with the environment; it is more about control over private property.

FACT: houses would be 25% less if the government would get out of the way.
(07-11-2018, 11:43 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I don't hate the EPA, but they have definitely fucked up (like virtually every government agency, at some point).

Earlier on, for example, the federal EPA was worthless at best and complicit at worst in regards to the Flint, Michigan drinking water disaster and cover up. Now, at least, they're on it and devoting considerable resources to the crisis.

I don't agree with politicians actively working to undermine important agencies like the EPA. The country needs a national body to advocate and protect the environment (and the life therein) from corporate polluters and other greedy fuckers.

When the EPA fucks up, the responsible leaders and agents should be held accountable and the agency should be pushed for continued improvement and effectiveness. It should not be run into the ground by a greedy grifter at the top (so long Pruitt) and/or starved of resources / power.

The EPA should be abolished. Ever state has their own version. The decisions required to regulate the environment are best left to local jurisdictions.
(07-17-2018, 08:01 AM)pyropappy Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 11:43 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I don't hate the EPA, but they have definitely fucked up (like virtually every government agency, at some point).

The EPA should be abolished. Ever state has their own version. The decisions required to regulate the environment are best left to local jurisdictions.
I agree, however I disagree about leaving it up to each state to regulate. I think each state can regulate, but it should be subject to a federal level of approval. Otherwise a local politician with financial interests in say manufacturing might be tempted to bend the rules to make a tidy profit and then you end up with Flint water.
(07-17-2018, 08:01 AM)pyropappy Wrote: The decisions required to regulate the environment are best left to local jurisdictions.

I agree with this and feel very lucky that my state cares about the environment. According to what I'm told it hasn't always been that way here.