Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DO YOU MIND...
Do you mind driving in traffic...Are you cool under pressure ?...I thought I was gonna die on the way home through Richmond, Alexandria & Washington...That crap went on for two mind bending hours & I swear to God I am NEVER doing it again...Ima gonna get hypnotized to try and overcome my fear of flying...GPS now ranks firmly up there with online shopping as the greatest invention ever.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I hate GPS - It's one of the stupid gadgets that people are becoming too dependent on. I've been across the country and back top to bottom and I know my way around pretty well.

I think when people start depending on so many things to think for them, they lose more gray matter.

Why on earth were you going through Richmond? You should have taken the coastal route up and once you hit Virginia, grab 13 or 113 into Delaware.
i had to drive from florida to mass....richmond and DC area were bad, but NYC had me shaking from terror! and i had been accustomed to driving a damn cruiser 125 mph through heavy traffic full of deaf, dumb, medicatedand blind old geezers. more often than not they never saw blue lights or heard sirens, i had to get on outside loudspeaker andSCREAM at them to fucking pull over!! i wouldn't drive through NYC again for a million dollar payday.

i hate flying too, but when i want to visit my sister and brother in maryland, i will take the damn death plane.

I took the shortest, most direct route & that was 95 the whole way...I've taken this trip before & I don't recall it being remotely like what I just experienced...I had maps & trip tiks and I'm telling ya, Ant, I would have been screwed without my GPS, no exaggeration.
LOL @ JackBoots! I drive in NYC all the time. It ain't so bad when you're used to it.

I take 95 up and down to Florida but I ALWAYS make sure I do not hit Virginia until after rush hour traffic. I plan my trip to the red-eye hours for driving, even if I am driving alone.

But I also head more east when I get into Virginia because the traffic is much better if you take the coastal route through Chincoteague and Assateague and up rt 1 through Ocean City. You head west to home then since you're already on the peninsula and I would contiue through Rehobeth Beach to the Cape May Ferry. Gives me a nice little break from driving, take a nap and then it's two hours left and I'm home. I avoid all the I95 cities, tolls and bullshit that way too.
Ant:LOL @ JackBoots! I drive in NYC all the time. It ain't so bad when you're used to it.

HA!! i drove through there after 11 PM and it was STILL gridlock going 90 mph.::blink:: i could never get used to that. if i had to drive south again, i'd take a bypass through oklahoma to avoid NY!

I've driven thru LA many times to get to San Diego... it's like a bowel movement... time consuming and messy but it's a fact of life you can't really avoid.

Man, that's like a fortune cookie!

I've never used a GPS.
I need a xanax to take a road trip. Something like this would give me a heart attack.

[Image: scary-highways-01-g.jpg]
© AP Photo/Phil Klein[/i]
Highway One/Big Sur (California)

Alfred Hitchcock could not have conjured a scarier highwayâ??122 miles of vertigo between Monterey and Morro Bay. Two lanes for nearly its entire length, the road meanders along cliff tops poised high above the Pacific, including 33 bridges and countless drop offs into liquid oblivion. Anyone faintly squeamish should not attempt to drive this route.
sally Wrote:I need a xanax to take a road trip. Something like this would give me a heart attack.

[Image: scary-highways-01-g.jpg]
© AP Photo/Phil Klein
Highway One/Big Sur (California)

Alfred Hitchcock could not have conjured a scarier highwayâ??122 miles of vertigo between Monterey and Morro Bay. Two lanes for nearly its entire length, the road meanders along cliff tops poised high above the Pacific, including 33 bridges and countless drop offs into liquid oblivion. Anyone faintly squeamish should not attempt to drive this route.
Unless I had some asshole tailgaiting me, that looks like an awesome drive. I love the coast of California... good vibes, man.
OOOOH, you know another place that's gorgeous and kind of scary to drive? Highway 5 in the Lake Shasta area? GORGEOUS area but sheer drop offs and lots of curves.

I love that area.
The Big Horn mountains were pretty damn awesome too.
The Antagonist Wrote:The Big Horn mountains were pretty damn awesome too.
I had to google that... Wyoming isn't very far from me, I should go take a road trip.
Wyoming is more appealing to me than Florida...I would much prefer wildernessover urban...No doubt about it.
As much as I enjoyed the Keys back in the 80s, I really hate humidity. It's surprisingly mild here in Utah... except when it snows, of course.
Hey Duchess, wanna road trip to Lumpy's place? Just don't look down when we go over the mountain into Greybull Wy!
It's currently 63 degrees and 20% humidity. Shirt sleeve weather, ladies!
I love the long road trips. I hate driving through town or the city and dealing with all the stoplights.I used to take off from here at 4 in the afternoon to drive to Atlanta to see my mother for holidays. Driving through Atlanta around midnight was a breeze.

I can't even fathom driving through NYC. When I see the traffic on the morning shows and think about driving in it, my heart starts to pound and I can feel the anxiety coming on. A panic attack waiting to happen for me.
I hate driving anywhere long distance. It's only 10 hours to Detroit from here but I always fly. I want to get where I am going as fast as possible. Although flying anywhere these days seems to take a whole freakin day. Makes me appreciate my little Albany airport.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
I used to love driving distances, I've gone from NY to Fl more times than I care to remember. Now days I can't stand long drives, the thrill must have wore off.

I'm my countless trips through DC and Richmond I've learned that timing is everything. You gotta time it out to get through DC during the night or blow through there at noon on weekdays, or Saturday and Sunday mornings are good too up till about 10 am.

Richmond is just up the road so you take it when you get there, but always use that 295 or whatever it is and go around the city.

The GPS, I got no use for them, I have a $4 Rand Mcnally I got at Wal-mart that I can get anyplace in the country with. GPSs are taking the fun out of a road trip.
jackboots Wrote:NYC had me shaking from terror! and i had been accustomed to driving a damn cruiser 125 mph through heavy traffic full of deaf, dumb, medicatedand blind old geezers. more often than not they never saw blue lights or heard sirens, i had to get on outside loudspeaker andSCREAM at them to fucking pull over!! i wouldn't drive through NYC again for a million dollar payday.
You had run-ins with my dad, didn't you?