Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GOOD MOVIES THREAD
Since this got buried in another thread that has become all about bashing OP, I decided to repost this here so it would have it's own thread and we could discuss good movies.

In no order or ranking - these are some of my good one recommendations:
Shawshank Redemption - one of the best ever
Usual Suspects - also top notch. Kiser Sose!
Se7en - gritty, dark, violent. the movie that started all the recent copy cat movies that look and feel the same
Goodfellas - just a great mob flick
Godfather 1 and 2 (not 3!) - the greatest mob flicks and always watchable and classic
Fight Club - fucking great movie
Pan's Labyrinth - great flick. perfectly violent and fantasy. is subtitled but TOTALLY worth it.
Transformers - for great mindless action - the recent movie has effects, action, humor. good "brain candy"
Batman Begins (can rent) and The Dark Knight (still at theaters but you can find to watch online) - 2 great dark superhero movies
Apocalypse Now - all time classic decent into hell.
The Descent - recent well done horror flick
Pulp Fiction - always good with endless classic scenes and lines.
Saving Private Ryan - one of the best war movies ever. Great acting ALL around.
Reservoir Dogs - fucking amazing crime movie
Blade Runner - best sci fi movie of all time.

I don't agree with all on this list, but there are a lot of good movies here and t is a good resource - http://www.nytimes.com/ref/movies/1000best.html
Here is another good list that users vote on http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

Liquid Wrote:Since this got buried in another thread that has become all about bashing OP
All threads end up being about me.

You can't accuse me of solipsism when clearly this entire forum does revolve around me in some way or other.

I am like the mythical overlord of Mock.

We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
Please stay on topic and discuss movies, at least in this thread. You are so obsessed with people talking about you that you can't just contribute in a positive way to any thread or any site. Please take your negativity and endless crybaby BS to another thread. Thank you.
I want to see Pan's Labyrinth. I watched "life is Beautiful" a few years ago and thought it was better with subtitles than after whenit was translated.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Maggot Wrote:I want to see Pan's Labyrinth. I watched "life is Beautiful" a few years ago and thought it was better with subtitles than after whenit was translated.
Pan's is a brilliant film, from the story to the incredibly images and characters and unique beings. What I really enjoyed about it is that it is not all warm and fuzzy. It is violent, bloody, unhappy, and real. Worth renting, if not owning that movie.
Liquid Wrote:
Maggot Wrote:I want to see Pan's Labyrinth. I watched "life is Beautiful" a few years ago and thought it was better with subtitles than after whenit was translated.
Pan's is a brilliant film, from the story to the incredibly images and characters and unique beings. What I really enjoyed about it is that it is not all warm and fuzzy. It is violent, bloody, unhappy, and real. Worth renting, if not owning that movie.
I like violent, bloody, turbulent, fast moving movies. The reason I used "Life is Beautiful" as an example was that it used sub-titles and was the first movie I saw that I actually liked watching with them. The true voices of the actorsbreak through the language barrier and make the movie. Not like watching an old Godzilla flick where the voices are so out of sync with the facial expressions that you think a time warp has tossed you 3-4 seconds into the past.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Liquid Wrote:Please stay on topic and discuss movies, at least in this thread. You are so obsessed with people talking about you that you can't just contribute in a positive way to any thread or any site. Please take your negativity and endless crybaby BS to another thread. Thank you.

Pissflaps.

Hows that for on topic fatboy?
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
Best movie I've seen recently is The Departed. I have personal reasons for appreciating this one, but it is just a great movie all the way around. The only thing I can't abide in this one (and many others) is when a person is shot in the head, from someone in front of them, the victim falls forward. That wouldn't happen in real life. One guy gets shot from close range and you see his brains and blood splatter on the wall behind him and he falls face first.

For a great movie, you'd think they would film shots like that accurately.
Sinister Wrote:Best movie I've seen recently is The Departed. I have personal reasons for appreciating this one, but it is just a great movie all the way around. The only thing I can't abide in this one (and many others) is when a person is shot in the head, from someone in front of them, the victim falls forward. That wouldn't happen in real life. One guy gets shot from close range and you see his brains and blood splatter on the wall behind him and he falls face first.

For a great movie, you'd think they would film shots like that accurately.
I enjoyed the Departed and think it is very well done. Have you seen the original movie that it is based on. It is called Internal Affairs (check out http://www.contactmusic.com/new/film.nsf...nalaffairs ) Internal Affairs is an incredibly movie and my only complaint about The Departed is that it is an EXACT copy of the story, just put in a different city and time. The movies are almost identical. If you have a chance I highly recommend renting Internal Affairs, which is an exceptional film.
Shit, my library doesn't have it. I just ran the title through the search enginefor my library and I get books about internal combustion and what-not. Guess I'll have to look for it at my video store. Any actors in the original that I would recognize? One thing that pulled me to The Departed was the cast!! Some big names in there.
The actors are really big in China/Japan etc, but not necessarily in the USA. I recognized many of them from old Chow Yun Fat movies that I have seen. I got it through Blockbuster online movie rentals so I know you can get it there.
Office Space was on last night - another good flick about the working class. Funny movie.
i have a pretty good collection. i also liked life is beautiful, and schindler's list. i could type for an hour about movies i love and will watch over and over. but that would be boring. :Yawn:

i will say that one of my favorites is Chicago, i like musicals and that was brilliant.

oldies...casablanca, key largo. 57

my lover gave me love actually and 4 weddings, so i like them too.

Enemy of the State
Airplane
Mask of Zorro (Antonio Banderas...swoon)
The Blues Brothers
Beverly Hills Cop (the first one)
Desperado (see above AB comment)
Shawshank Redemption
[user=34]jackboots[/user] wrote:
Quote: love actually and 4 weddings, so i like them too.
my wife likes both of those movies also. chick flicks!
Madame_Lafarge Wrote:Enemy of the State
Airplane
Mask of Zorro (Antonio Banderas...swoon)
The Blues Brothers
Beverly Hills Cop (the first one)
Desperado (see above AB comment)
Shawshank Redemption
Enemy of the state is a cool movie. lots of good actors hamming it up to the max

Airplane, Blues Bros, and Beverly Hills cop are 3 of the best comedies ever.
Yeah, I really like Will Smith and Gene Hackman, so EOTS was a good choice. Got some serious geography issues if you know anything about coordinate placement, but hey, it's Hollywood.
John Voight and Regina King were good also. Voight is always fun in every movie. He plays a good "government type" like he recently did again in Transformers.
Transformers - good movie!
86 112
Middle Finger Wrote:Transformers - good movie!
I am looking forward to the second one also. I hope it is as good as the first one