Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second Life
does anyone play this online 3D Virtual Reality game - http://secondlife.com/

I heard about it yesterday and many millions play and are part of this virtual world. Basically you live an entire other life.

anyone play this and have feedback about it?
Yep, it's fun as hell! I haven't had time to play lately but I was on briefly and an friend of mine in California gave me items so I could experience the game without having to dedicate LOADS of time to it.

enjoy.

I gave it a try but I'm too stupid to figure out all the controls.

Seems kind of weird to me though... lots of people talk about having sex in there, buying cars (with real money) and other strange things.
I wasn't there long enough to get into all that but my Cali friend taught me how to fly and helped me purchase my own island. The clothes were interesting though. I thought the graphics could have been a bit better.
doyou have to use real money to buy stuff?
Nope.

People only use real money to purchase ingame money. You can kinda look at it as purchasing an expansion pack. It's kinda the easy way out. Instead of doing what is required to earn the money, you just purchase it instead. If you have ever played world of warcraft
dark ages
tso (the sims online)

it's very similar to those games in terms of money earned vs. money bought (with real dollars)

When you join, you automatically get so much money to begin with.
So to clarify, you don't HAVE to spend real money, but many people do. Real money to buy a cyber car. That's crazy to me.
LittleMissPoopyPants Wrote:Real money to buy a cyber car. That's crazy to me.
And desperately tragic as well.

We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
LittleMissPoopyPants Wrote:So to clarify, you don't HAVE to spend real money, but many people do. Real money to buy a cyber car. That's crazy to me.
What you are actually paying for is the hard work that went into the development of the game piece by an individual who isn't employed by the company. It's very much like paying to have a piece of the animation that didn't come "standard" with the game. It makes perfect sense if you understand what goes into the creation portion of animation/gaming. Several "regular" content providers are still in school or about to graduate and their work becomes a part of their portfolio. So you are supporting them when you purchase. The same as you would be supporting a "visual" artist by purchasing one of their pieces.

(One of my daughters is a 16yr old award wining artist and one of her teachers Assistants during her summer session, is a junior at a visual arts/animation college)
I checked it out a little more and it seems like a ton of work. not sure I want to do all of that work, free or not.