Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10,000 E. African albinos in hiding after killings
What the fuck!

NAIROBI, Kenya – The mistaken belief that albino body parts have magical powers has driven thousands of Africa's albinos into hiding, fearful of losing their lives and limbs to unscrupulous dealers who can make up to $75,000 selling a complete dismembered set.

Mary Owido, who lacks pigment that gives color to skin, eyes and hair, says she is only comfortable when at work or at home with her husband and children.

"Wherever I go people start talking about me, saying that my legs and hands can fetch a fortune in Tanzania," said Owido, 36, a mother of six. "This kind of talk scares me. I am afraid of going out alone."

Since 2007, 44 albinos have been killed in Tanzania and 14 others have been slain in Burundi, sparking widespread fear among albinos in East Africa.

At least 10,000 have been displaced or gone into hiding since the killings began, according to a report released this week by the International Federation for the Red Cross and Crescent societies.

East Africa's latest albino murder happened in Tanzania's Mwanza region in late October, when albino hunters beheaded 10-year-old Gasper Elikana and chopped off his leg, the report said. The killing left Elikana's father, who tried to defend his son, seriously injured.

Albinism is a hereditary condition, but occurs only when both parents have albinism genes. All six of Owido's children have normal skin color.

African albinos endure insults, discrimination and segregation throughout their lives. They also have a high risk of contracting skin cancer in a region where many jobs are outdoors.

Owido, a high school teacher in the western Kenyan town of Ahero, says she was forced to transfer from a better teaching job on the Kenya-Tanzania border town of Isebania in 2008 after an albino girl she knew was murdered and her body parts chopped off.

The surge in the use of albino body parts as good luck charms is a result of "a kind of marketing exercise by witch doctors," the International Federation for the Red Cross and Crescent societies said.

The report says the market for albino parts exists mainly in Tanzania, where a complete set of body parts — including all limbs, genitals, ears, tongue and nose — can sell for $75,000. Wealthy buyers use the parts as talismans to bring them wealth and good fortune.

"Albinism is one of the most unfortunate vulnerabilities," said International Federation for the Red Cross and Crescent societies Secretary General Bekele Geleta. "And it needs to be addressed immediately at an international level."

The chairman of the Albino Association of Kenya, Isaac Mwaura, called the murders deplorable but said the killings have given albinos a platform to raise awareness.

Almost 90 percent of albinos living in the region were raised by single mothers, Mwaura said, because the fathers believed their wives were having affairs with white men.

"When I was born my father said his family tree doesn't have such children and left us," Mwaura said.

Some African communities believe that albinos are harbingers of disaster, while others mistakenly think albinos are mentally retarded and discourage their parents from taking them to school, saying it's a waste of money, he said.

Due to a lack of education, many albinos are illiterate and are forced into menial jobs, exposing them to the sun and skin cancer, he said. Those who manage to finish school face discrimination in the work place and are never considered for promotions.

"People are very blind to albinism but it is very visible. Now that we have this issue in Tanzania is when people have started to talk about albinism," Mwaura said. "Before there was a studious silence."
Jesus that's frightening for those people! i can visualize ignorant mass slaughter.

They should all go to Hollywood and get jobs as Zombies. Like the midgets did for the Wizard of Oz. Lots of Zombie movies comming out I hear.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
10,000, really? You really think there are that many albinos in East Africa?
I mean there is like 300 million people in the US and I see my fair share of them, I don't ever recall seeing one albino.
Quote:"Albinism is one of the most unfortunate vulnerabilities," said International Federation for the Red Cross and Crescent societies Secretary General Bekele Geleta. "And it needs to be addressed immediately at an international level."
I bet lots of American dollars could make it stop though.
Really, 10,000???
Those are not albinos, they are white folk. ::lol::
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Good grief. Those poor people.

Someone send them some cases of shoe polish for gods sake.
I watched a televison program on this subject a while back.
I would stop eating chocolate.. but I'm not a quitter!

:B
I can't remember the name of the program i watched::dontknow::
This is similiar and just as chilling.

Channel 4's foreign affairs strand investigates South Africa's "Muti Murders", but be warned; this is not for the squeamish.

This eye-opening documentary reveals how hundreds of people across the country are being killed for body parts.

Reporter Ramita Navai and producer James Brabazon begin their journey in the Eastern Cape where 18 people have been brutally murdered in a nine month period.

Various body parts have been removed from the victims, leading traditional medicine healers, called Sangomas, to be blamed for their deaths. Though the police have arrested 14 men, locals are convinced the masterminds are still at large.

Few people survive Muti attacks, but Navai finds one woman who has - and it's a horrifying story. Nyelisani recounts how she played dead while her lips were being cut off to save her life after she had watched her boyfriend's mutilation and murder.

Others tell of a boy whose intestines were ripped-out, a pregnant woman whose breasts were cut off, and a boy whose testicles were removed to supply traditional healers with ingredients.

The belief in Muti is so strong that some Sangomas have even killed their own children in the belief it will increase their powers. The team talk to a Sangoma who admits that he has killed three people, and explains the rituals. He says that the victim needs to be alive, and that if they are tortured in the process, their body parts become more powerful.

It's unbelievable that these practices continue, but traditional medicine could be the last hope for those who are desperate to treat illness. One Sangoma, who says he does not use human body parts, tells Navai he treats more than 100 patients a week, half of whom have HIV or Aids.

As Muti murders and mutilations become more and more common place, it seems there's no end in sight. But while the healers promise health and good fortune, this perversion of traditional medicine brings many desperate South Africans only fear and misery.
I would stop eating chocolate.. but I'm not a quitter!

:B
yep it won't be long before we here in america also evolve to become as civilized as africa "the cradle of life" .

maybe we can help after we solve global warming, world healthcare,world hunger,and get the one world government up and running.

but of course none of this can happen until we have our coming race wars brought on by our first half white president. and he is declared a dictator under the laws of martial law.

at that point our population will have shrunk by several hundred million people and we will be able to afford it.

have a great day !

and just for you MF here it is with no spaces.

yepitwon'tbelongbeforewehereinamericaalsoevolvetobecomeascivilizedasafrica"thecradleoflife".

maybewecanhelpafterwesolveglobalwarming,worldhealthcare,worldhunger,andgettheoneworld governmentupandrunning.

butofcoursenoneofthiscanhappenuntilwehaveourcomingracewarsbroughtonbyourfirsthalfwhite president.andheisdeclaredadictatorunderthelawsofmartiallaw.

atthatpointourpopulationwillhaveshrunkbyseveralhundredmillionpeopleandwewillbeabletoafford it.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

Just in case you wonder how my post fits in.

my point is fuck what is happening in africa that backwards assed country where the people have refused to defend themselves from a tyrannical political system have allowed the blue helmets of peace to kill them round them up into fucking refugee camps where they can be kept in subjection..

pay attention to whats happening here in this country you bunch of fucking morons you will sit while the US is made to look just like that shit in africa thats worrying your little pea brains.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

Thank you for that brilliant and erudite advice, Dick. I'm sure it'll come in very handy.
(11-29-2009, 01:47 PM)IMaDick Wrote: Just in case you wonder how my post fits in.

my point is fuck what is happening in africa that backwards assed country where the people have refused to defend themselves from a tyrannical political system have allowed the blue helmets of peace to kill them round them up into fucking refugee camps where they can be kept in subjection..

pay attention to whats happening here in this country you bunch of fucking morons you will sit while the US is made to look just like that shit in africa thats worrying your little pea brains.

I'm sure I am not alone when I say how a can actually feel the milk of human kindness flowing from your soul, the heartfelt empathy you feel for you fellow human beings does you credit.

Your policy of "are they American?, then fuck those cunts!" gives me hope for future of the US in the 21st century, Martin Luther King eat your motherfucking heart out.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
(11-30-2009, 11:18 AM)Ordinary Peephole Wrote:
(11-29-2009, 01:47 PM)IMaDick Wrote: Just in case you wonder how my post fits in.

I'm sure I am not alone when I say how a can actually feel the milk of human kindness flowing from your soul, the heartfelt empathy you feel for you fellow human beings does you credit.

Your policy of "are they American?, then fuck those cunts!" gives me hope for future of the US in the 21st century, Martin Luther King eat your motherfucking heart out.

who will we help if we become just like them poor, destitute and in subjection to a repressive government ?

This is exactly what Im talking about , think about what is happening here.
John Adams

(11-30-2009, 08:13 PM)IMaDick Wrote: who will we help if we become just like them poor, destitute and in subjection to a repressive government ?

I don't believe it's an 'either/or' situation, Dick. Nothing in the world is black and white (no pun intended for the subject matter at hand).
(11-28-2009, 06:16 PM)Maggot Wrote: They should all go to Hollywood and get jobs as Zombies. Like the midgets did for the Wizard of Oz. Lots of Zombie movies comming out I hear.

::lol::
86 112
If they were smart, they would be proactive and sell their fingernails, skin samples, and hair clippings on Ebay.
86 112
Yeah cuz we all know poor, uneducated Africans have access to computers, you dumb ass.
They don't have to do it themselves, genius. Someone can create a market for it and coordinate/sell for them.
86 112
ever since the newsbreak that tanning booths caused melanoma there has been a glut of machines put on the market in order to get rid of them before they're banned. I say we ship them off to Africa to help out the rabbit-eyed motherfuckers...

Oh yeah, and send along shitloads, and I mean SHITLOADS of extension cords too!

Fug duh kund
(11-30-2009, 10:47 PM)SyberBitch Wrote:
(11-30-2009, 08:13 PM)IMaDick Wrote: who will we help if we become just like them poor, destitute and in subjection to a repressive government ?

I don't believe it's an 'either/or' situation, Dick. Nothing in the world is black and white (no pun intended for the subject matter at hand).

Thats bullshit and a cop out , if this country continues to fall we will be the ones needing help.
John Adams