Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Serious Dog Question
My kids really want to get a dog. I need some advice from the experts on here on what breed would be a good one for us.

We need to get a dog that would be ok with being alone all day while I am at work and the boys are at school. We do have a fenced in yard but we can't leave the dog outside all day in the winter. We also have two cats. Plus, we don't have a huge house. We need a dog that can be alone and not tear the place up and that can get along with cats. If I could have any dog I would love a Golden or a Lab. But they get pretty big and I don't know how well they would do be cooped up in the house all day. I do not want one of those itty bitty dogs like all the celebrities have. Any suggestions?
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
Ant might suggest a pitbull, so take her advice with a dog-house sized grain of salt.
86 112
No Rotties or Pit Bulls.
[Image: stufftoydog.jpg]

Sorry the pic is so huge, and you had to know this wasn't gonna be serious very long.
Siberian Husky Smiley_emoticons_biggrin

But only if you get it as a puppy and raise/train it yourself.
That's perfect T! I won't have to buy food and there won't be any poop in the yard.
(01-08-2010, 07:02 PM)ramseycat Wrote: That's perfect T! I won't have to buy food and there won't be any poop in the yard.

I think you got me and twister confused... go read again Ms. Airhead
Huskies get kind of big don't they? I wanted a Cocker Spaniel but the boys think that is a girly dog. LOL
If you get a big dog a cat is gonna get mauled, if you get one of those little toy kicker dogs, a dog is gonna get mauled.
Hmmm, maybe the cat's will have to find a new home. No more litter box!!! Yea!!! I kinda like my kitties though.
(01-08-2010, 07:02 PM)ramseycat Wrote: That's perfect T! I won't have to buy food and there won't be any poop in the yard.

well, no brown poop in the yard....but lots of cotton balls.
Fug duh kund
(01-08-2010, 07:04 PM)ramseycat Wrote: Huskies get kind of big don't they? I wanted a Cocker Spaniel but the boys think that is a girly dog. LOL

I fucking HATE Spaniels, Cockers the most. And so what if huskies get kinda big? They're excellent dogs when raised & trained properly.

(01-08-2010, 07:06 PM)twisteroo Wrote: If you get a big dog a cat is gonna get mauled, if you get one of those little toy kicker dogs, a dog is gonna get mauled.

I call moose shit. That's only if they're not raised to respect each other.

My Mom's Jack Russel tears up the cats, and the cats tear up her Rott. So yeah. MOOSE FUCKING SHIT. Its all in their temperament.

Which is why I say raise the husky from a puppy and have it around the cat, and train the cat (Ant has already said how) to be nice to the dog. Even though my Mom's dogs play rough with the cats, they love each other anyways. You'll find cats and dogs curled up sleeping together, licking each others' wounds, and etc...

I would suggest the Jack Russel, except they're hard to train to be good around young children if you're not familiar with them.
I like Husky's but am not sure I want a dog that big. What about a boxer? I do need to have a dog that is good with kids. Mine are not real young but we do have little ones in our court.
I had a dog that was half rott, I also had an old stray barn cat, the dog would growl and the cat would just rub on the dog an purr, the dog never had the balls to touch the cat, just growl as the cat rubbed and purred. It was funny as hell to watch.

I think JR's are active lil' dogs...I'm not positive about that 'cuz I've only had beagles but, if that's the case, it wouldn't work for her, not with her & the boys being gone all day...
Little ankle bitin' bastards...yap..yap..yap.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Fuck you Frank.

Ramsey, if you are going to leave the dog home alone all day long then a puppy is not for you.
Puppies need constant attention if you're ever going to have them trained and housebroken properly. They need several meals a day for the first year of their life as well.

Labs and Goldens are bird dogs. Bird dogs have bird brains. They can be hyper and difficult to train if you're not going to be there on top of them. They are bundles of energy for the first five years of their lives.

Why don't you take the boys to the shelter and adopt a full grown dog? Many animals are in shelters now due to the economy and they do go through a rigorous screening process to make sure they will suit your home and family and are already housebroken. Find an ASPCA shelter - you're in NY so you should be able to find one. They are the best at what they do and can help match a good animal to your family.
(01-08-2010, 07:02 PM)D Wrote: Siberian Husky Smiley_emoticons_biggrin

But only if you get it as a puppy and raise/train it yourself.

Smiley_emoticons_skeptisch

Horrible, horrible choice.
(01-08-2010, 07:24 PM)The Antagonist Wrote: Fuck you Frank.

Ramsey, if you are going to leave the dog home alone all day long then a puppy is not for you.
Puppies need constant attention if you're ever going to have them trained and housebroken properly. They need several meals a day for the first year of their life as well.

Labs and Goldens are bird dogs. Bird dogs have bird brains. They can be hyper and difficult to train if you're not going to be there on top of them. They are bundles of energy for the first five years of their lives.

Why don't you take the boys to the shelter and adopt a full grown dog? Many animals are in shelters now due to the economy and they do go through a rigorous screening process to make sure they will suit your home and family and are already housebroken. Find an ASPCA shelter - you're in NY so you should be able to find one. They are the best at what they do and can help match a good animal to your family.

And more importantly, be sure to enroll in an obedience class right out of the gate. It will go such a long way toward making a happy household for all of you, no matter what breed you choose.

I'm trying to think of a breed that might be best as a 'puppy', but honestly, as Ant said, being left alone all day... you can't really expect ANY puppy to handle that. A young adult dog would be perfect for you and your kids.
(01-08-2010, 07:23 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I think JR's are active lil' dogs...I'm not positive about that 'cuz I've only had beagles but, if that's the case, it wouldn't work for her, not with her & the boys being gone all day...

They are active, but again... if you train and raise them properly you wont have them be yapping little bastards. And they're just fine being home alone all day.

Though as Ant points out, both of my options require you to train them from puppies, which Ramsey doesn't have time for.

The best dog I ever had was a total Mutt and looked like Benjie. I adopted him, he was a rescued animal that had been abused. But he was loving and loyal as hell.
(01-08-2010, 07:43 PM)D Wrote:
(01-08-2010, 07:23 PM)Duchess Wrote:

They are active, but again... if you train and raise them properly you wont have them be yapping little bastards. And they're just fine being home alone all day.

Errrr... actually no. Jack Russells are terriers. Usually very high strung, tenacious, easily bored. They are NOT good 'stay at home alone all day' dogs, unless you enjoy coming home to a house in shreds. Even 'well trained' JRs will get bored and cause mischief at times if not kept active.

Huskies are NOTORIOUSLY difficult to train, which means that whether Ramsey were to get a puppy or a grown dog, it would be a bad choice for her because... we've already discussed the reasons if it were a puppy, and if it were a grown dog, it would most likely be poorly trained if at all, and a mess. They are gorgeous dogs, but they do not take well to obedience.