Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WHAT DO YOU THINK ?

I'm going to consider making Mock private...Right now, it's just a thought, I'm not leaning one way or another...If, and that's a big if, that were to happen, I would leave a portion of her open as a "tease", if you will...I'm interested in reading your thoughts on this...I do understand that there are pros & cons of doing this, that's why I would like to read your opinions.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I say go for it.

The football forum I am a part time mod on is a private forum, you have to submit an application with your full details, and your name is checked and vetted before you are given access, if your name pops up on Stormfront or the BNP membership list, sorry access denied.

I am not saying we should vet or check people here, but a small teaser page giving everyone the chance to enter newbie hell but the rest of the forum being unaccessible until they prove themselves worthy is a good idea.

It will also stop paranoid fucks worrying about their "personal information".
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
I makes no difference to me, they can only find as much info as you put out there anyway.
That isn't a challenge to stalk me, I'm just saying that if you play it close to the vest there is less info out there to be had.
Cons:
Attracting potential members
Most web surfers like to sample a site before joining. Without a few random new members here & there, the forum may begin to stagnate because new members will only be those referred by folks already here or folks with a specific agenda.

Pros:
Really can't think of any.
OP commented on people's concern about "private info". Truthfully, no info we post in discussion area of forums is private. The "private info" is really in the member profile...for example: email address, location, b-day...

A happy middle ground may be making the newbie hell public and the rest private, but then some visitors may not understand that there's more to see than the newbie hell. To address that you could allow guests to see the various rooms but not read the threads inside.
I will not be participating at this forum.
This is a toxic place. Goodbye.
(02-13-2010, 08:01 AM)Ordinary Peephole Wrote: It will also stop paranoid fucks worrying about their "personal information".

Just so you know, the use and abuse (displayed directly or not) of personal real life info is a main inhibitor to people joining a site like this. You wouldn't know because you don't have the admin experience here receiving PMs and emails. I learned that last year with Liquid. I made a bad judgment call in allowing as much as I did back then. All it takes is enabling/allowing a bad apple, like Lumpy, to try and direct people to personal info for it to be ruined. So I don't think Mock being private helps that much. I think strictly enforcing a "don't fuck with or point to real life personally identifying info" type standard is the only real way to counter that.

The difficulty in being an Admin here is to maintain consistency while not allowing clique bitches to sway you. For example, there is currently an alliance between certain people here that had contacted me off-site in the past trying to get the other banned over something that was not even bannable. They don't care about the stress it puts on your or your "friendship." They just didn't like how well they were bested. That pathetic shit goes on constantly. That is why you might see an admin take on more of a fuck you attitude or get stricter with rules, such as I did.

Until you run a site like this or have the experience with a 100+ active people, you just don't really get it.

If making Mock private relives Duchess in some way, she should consider it. However, like I said, I think the bigger worry reliever is simply in not allowing assholes to indicate personally identifiable material. If I saw that was allowed as a guest I would never consider joining.
86 112
This is a good point.

As I stated earlier personally identifiable information (aka PII) is a big thing because its misuse / abuse / distribution without permission or in conjunction with law enforcement issues etc could result in an extremely nasty situation for a forum owner. Certain folks seemed to be of the impression that I was whining with my posts about it earlier (when I believed I was being acused of misusing PII as an administrator) but I wanted to hammer the point home that I was not nor would I ever misuse the PII of any member of my forum. I was willing to type and re-type that shit ad nauseum because it is IMPORTANT.

As far as controlling PII within the forum I think that it may be difficult. You can remove inappropriate posts & ban as punishment but consider this scenario:

Let's say someone does some googling or yahoo searching and somehow finds another member's home address. They then go to one of those real estate websites, snag a pic of the house... then they post it in the forum so we can all laugh @ what a dump the person lives in. I am thinking that Duchess would remove the pic & ban the person. But let's say the member doesn't post the pic in the open forum because they know they will be banned, what they do is use the PM system to distribute the home address as well as the pic to other members. What happens then? How does admin & the member know that their home address is being shared in the forum?

A member here posted a pic of herself and her spouse. Their faces are visible. Others posted pics of their pets or their breasts. There is nothing stopping any other member from using those pictures all over the Internet now.

This is hard - especially @ a site like this because people do experience real anger here over some of the shit people say...enough anger to talk off forum about what happens here and enough anger to do research on other members in search of material to mock or discredit etc.

No matter what is decided here, we all need to understand that what you share in the discussion portions of forums is public. Do not share anything which is "secret" or anything which you would not want to be made public.
(02-13-2010, 09:19 AM)Julie Wrote: No matter what is decided here, we all need to understand that what you share in the discussion portions of forums is public. Do not share anything which is "secret" or anything which you would not want to be made public.

Agree - which is why if you post it, it is OK. But this researching and posting/linking to info or additional info that a member has not posted themselves is what's wrong.
86 112
I don't know what Frank said but I don't think listening to the advice of someone who was so bad at admining he had to step down from sites he created is a sensible thing to do.

In life you can't go far wrong following the axiom - "Do the complete opposite of what Frank says and you will get far in life".
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
Who knew that when you ignore someone that actually means talk about them and their posting more than ever before?
86 112
It seems to be what certain people here do when they fell "bested" somehow. They get fucking spun up and then go on an e-hunt.

With all the shit flug back and forth on this site, when I log off - that's it. I do not think about what the heck was said here, who said it, or how I can do any research or datamining to dig up info & retaliate against them. I just use what they post here or whereever I know them from, and failing that - I'll make some shit up. It's supposed to be fun & games, not research, cyber-stalking, and harassment.

I think that if potential members see this behavior it would turn them away an I think that current members could (rightly) say "FUCK THIS SHIT"....if I piss off the wrong someone @ this site, that someone could go searching for real info about me. Next thing I know I could get a crazy package in the mail, have unwanted visitors @ my residence, or have weird phone calls @ my job.

I am going to be honest and say that did not feel comfortable when I read that Cracker spent two hours on google seaching for info on me. I did not feel comfortable with Lumpy doing her searches on me either. No - I don't have anything out there but the shit was 100% creepy.
Middle Finger Wrote:The difficulty in being an Admin here is to maintain consistency while not allowing clique bitches to sway you. For example, there is currently an alliance between certain people here that had contacted me off-site in the past trying to get the other banned over something that was not even bannable. They don't care about the stress it puts on your or your "friendship." They just didn't like how well they were bested. That pathetic shit goes on constantly. That is why you might see an admin take on more of a fuck you attitude or get stricter with rules, such as I did.

You better not be including me in your delirious little scenario there, Stumpy. I don't get together with anyone behind the scenes to post enmasse. You're becoming paranoid.

And before you try to say how I "controlled" you with shit on the IM's when we talked, keep in mind you had your own shit to say as well. The only difference is that I just took it as conversation between us, you took it as fodder for your delusion. I've not once repeated anything we said between us openly where you have - ("OP she told me to call you a sissy").

Plenty of times I stuck up for you when your wife and kids were being slapped around, long before Liquid was the target. So did Liquid. Your little experiment in openess allowed me to be slanderd here TWICE as well. Stop pretending you cherish privacy unless it's about you.

l can confidently say I never said anyone should be banned. I've gone along with suggestions of a special place for them to fuck around but never have I said to outright ban anyone.

You know this is true because you pointed to two posts where you try to turn it around saying I'm agreeing with someone else suggesting a ban where it's clear I only pointed out you banned people for less and disagreed with the ban. Robodoon joined here and by post #14 and with him only posting his intro and no replies to it , was banned just for who he was. THAT is what I meant when I said, "You've banned people for less." in your not so clever link.

Now once again, I don't give a fuck who gets banned for whatever reason or not.

Duchess, I've always said parts of this site should be private - that's why Frank made the members only area in the first place. Make it all private except for the Management and Newbie Bullshit, Whatever Junk
and MAYBE one of the forums in these categories - Funny Shit & Good Shit or Personal Member Bullshit. That should be enough of a tease to give them a taste and see if they want in.
(02-13-2010, 09:48 AM)Julie Wrote: I am going to be honest and say that did not feel comfortable when I read that Cracker spent two hours on google seaching for info on me. I did not feel comfortable with Lumpy doing her searches on me either. No - I don't have anything out there but the shit was 100% creepy.

word. I have never done a google search on anyone that I know/knew from a website.
Damn, Ant. Can we just give Duchess feedback on the matter without turning it into a fight between you & Frank?
I can say the same about you and your bullshit about Lumpy looking you up.
It was an example included with several others in addition to one I made up NOT a rant AT someone.

Please be an adult for 3 seconds.
(02-13-2010, 09:19 AM)Julie Wrote: A member here posted a pic of herself and her spouse. Their faces are visible. Others posted pics of their pets or their breasts. There is nothing stopping any other member from using those pictures all over the Internet now.

Julie you have pictures of you, your spouse, your child, your extended family and your home on Facebook. Do you really think FB is more secure or private than other website out there?
(02-13-2010, 11:18 AM)The Antagonist Wrote: Duchess, I've always said parts of this site should be private - that's why Frank made the members only area in the first place. Make it all private except for the Management and Newbie Bullshit, Whatever Junk
and MAYBE one of the forums in these categories - Funny Shit & Good Shit or Personal Member Bullshit. That should be enough of a tease to give them a taste and see if they want in.

I don't care too much one way or another but this seems like a good middle ground. It doesn't seem right that someone like Cracker has access to ALL our posts before becoming a member. Some portion, fine but not the entire forum.
Commando Cunt Queen
(02-13-2010, 11:18 AM)Jamminitin Wrote:
(02-13-2010, 09:48 AM)Julie Wrote: I am going to be honest and say that did not feel comfortable when I read that Cracker spent two hours on google seaching for info on me. I did not feel comfortable with Lumpy doing her searches on me either. No - I don't have anything out there but the shit was 100% creepy.

word. I have never done a google search on anyone that I know/knew from a website.

Yes that is creepy. I didn't have time to read all of Cracker's thread, but it seems like she's a fucking nut job stalker from the parts that I did read.
(02-13-2010, 09:48 AM)Julie Wrote: It seems to be what certain people here do when they fell "bested" somehow. They get fucking spun up and then go on an e-hunt.

With all the shit flug back and forth on this site, when I log off - that's it. I do not think about what the heck was said here, who said it, or how I can do any research or datamining to dig up info & retaliate against them. I just use what they post here or whereever I know them from, and failing that - I'll make some shit up. It's supposed to be fun & games, not research, cyber-stalking, and harassment.

I think that if potential members see this behavior it would turn them away an I think that current members could (rightly) say "FUCK THIS SHIT"....if I piss off the wrong someone @ this site, that someone could go searching for real info about me. Next thing I know I could get a crazy package in the mail, have unwanted visitors @ my residence, or have weird phone calls @ my job.

I am going to be honest and say that did not feel comfortable when I read that Cracker spent two hours on google seaching for info on me. I did not feel comfortable with Lumpy doing her searches on me either. No - I don't have anything out there but the shit was 100% creepy.

That's what this Clique does - they take shit off site, email each other, send links, research ... that is why Lumpy gets herself banned eventually. I've banned her twice here I think and like 4 times at my other site under different usernames. They make forums their life and way too important. It's fucking nuts.
86 112
(02-13-2010, 11:50 AM)Julie Wrote: It was an example included with several others in addition to one I made up NOT a rant AT someone.

Please be an adult for 3 seconds.

So which is the one you made up?

Talk about "be an adult for 3 seconds"!

Why did you feel the need to make something up with anyone to make your point? I know, because you and Frank are the new tag team whiny bitches.