Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
MOVIES
The Hateful Eight, Creed, Revenant, and of course Star Wars all look pretty damned good.
(12-15-2015, 02:56 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: The Hateful Eight, Creed, Revenant, and of course Star Wars all look pretty damned good.

Qft
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
Those all look like pretty good movies.

But, I'll be seeing Krampus this weekend. Smiley_emoticons_slash

It's not my pick, but I read the reviews and it actually sounds better than I imagined. Plus, I like Toni Collette.

The one I really want to see when it comes out later this month is '45 years'. I like smaller movies, especially mysteries, and love Charlotte Rampling in anything.
(12-15-2015, 06:52 PM)Donovan Wrote:
(12-15-2015, 02:56 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: The Hateful Eight, Creed, Revenant, and of course Star Wars all look pretty damned good.

Qft
Qft???
Quoted for truth. I'm having a tough time deciding which of those movies is gonna fall into the "wait for DVD" pile but there just isn't enough time/money to see them all.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
(12-16-2015, 11:12 AM)Donovan Wrote: Quoted for truth. I'm having a tough time deciding which of those movies is gonna fall into the "wait for DVD" pile but there just isn't enough time/money to see them all.
I'd say Creed. You already know the story and how it ends.
Oh yeah that's pretty much a given, and Star Wars is a must for the Big Screen just for the spectacle and FX. My big dilemma is between Revenant and Hateful8. They are similar style stories, both right in my wheelhouse, one Tarentino and the other DiCaprio. But finding time with a five year old is pretty tough. Something is gonna fall by the wayside.
(12-16-2015, 11:31 AM)Donovan Wrote: Oh yeah that's pretty much a given, and Star Wars is a must for the Big Screen just for the spectacle and FX. My big dilemma is between Revenant and Hateful8. They are similar style stories, both right in my wheelhouse, one Tarentino and the other DiCaprio. But finding time with a five year old is pretty tough. Something is gonna fall by the wayside.
Honestly, if it were me I'd go Revenant. Tarantino is due to shit the bed any time now.
Kinda how I'm leaning. Not because I think Quentin is due for a flop; I think the guy has earned his spot among the GOAT directors. But his stuff also deserves multiple viewings, so I probably will end up owning it at some point.
(12-16-2015, 11:49 AM)Donovan Wrote: Kinda how I'm leaning. Not because I think Quentin is due for a flop; I think the guy has earned his spot among the GOAT directors. But his stuff also deserves multiple viewings, so I probably will end up owning it at some point.
IMO, Tarantino seems to have cycles. He's a great director no doubt, but From Dusk Till Dawn and Grindhouse weren't my favorites.
FDtD was uneven but had flashes of really great filmmaking, but the same can be said of some of his other stuff. I'm not a Clooney fan as a rule, he plays every role as sarcastic self-important prick IMO. And Grindhouse was really just Tarentino's "fuck you" movie that he made strictly for his own amusement. From a story standpoint he just imitated those shitty 70's moviea as an homage, but he did it a little too well. I try to look at it purely from a crafting standpoint. Was it an awesome story? Nah. Was it a finely crafted piece of filmmaking that accurately captured the essence of what it meant to? Yes. Personally, I'd have called Jackie Brown a better homage. But remember also the two movies you cite were a decade apart, and he filled that time with Kill Bill 1 and 2. Not a bad rebound.
(12-16-2015, 01:48 PM)Donovan Wrote: FDtD was uneven but had flashes of really great filmmaking, but the same can be said of some of his other stuff. I'm not a Clooney fan as a rule, he plays every role as sarcastic self-important prick IMO. And Grindhouse was really just Tarentino's "fuck you" movie that he made strictly for his own amusement. From a story standpoint he just imitated those shitty 70's moviea as an homage, but he did it a little too well. I try to look at it purely from a crafting standpoint. Was it an awesome story? Nah. Was it a finely crafted piece of filmmaking that accurately captured the essence of what it meant to? Yes. Personally, I'd have called Jackie Brown a better homage. But remember also the two movies you cite were a decade apart, and he filled that time with Kill Bill 1 and 2. Not a bad rebound.
That's why i'm getting a "shit the bed possibility vibe" on this one. Not sure if I told you this already, but a friend of mine set up the AV in his writing room. It's a room full of big flat screens with a round table in the center of the room. In the center of the round table sits a bowl full of high grade weed.

I'd go with Leo's film. *nods*
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(12-16-2015, 03:14 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote:
(12-16-2015, 01:48 PM)Donovan Wrote: FDtD was uneven but had flashes of really great filmmaking, but the same can be said of some of his other stuff. I'm not a Clooney fan as a rule, he plays every role as sarcastic self-important prick IMO. And Grindhouse was really just Tarentino's "fuck you" movie that he made strictly for his own amusement. From a story standpoint he just imitated those shitty 70's moviea as an homage, but he did it a little too well. I try to look at it purely from a crafting standpoint. Was it an awesome story? Nah. Was it a finely crafted piece of filmmaking that accurately captured the essence of what it meant to? Yes. Personally, I'd have called Jackie Brown a better homage. But remember also the two movies you cite were a decade apart, and he filled that time with Kill Bill 1 and 2. Not a bad rebound.
That's why i'm getting a "shit the bed possibility vibe" on this one. Not sure if I told you this already, but a friend of mine set up the AV in his writing room. It's a room full of big flat screens with a round table in the center of the room. In the center of the round table sits a bowl full of high grade weed.

No, you never said that to me but it might be the most awesome thing I've ever heard. If I ever get that kind of fuck you money that's the room I will build and never leave. Maybe alternating flatscreens with a wall of books.
(12-16-2015, 03:49 PM)Donovan Wrote:
(12-16-2015, 03:14 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote:

No, you never said that to me but it might be the most awesome thing I've ever heard. If I ever get that kind of fuck you money that's the room I will build and never leave. Maybe alternating flatscreens with a wall of books.
For me, it connected the dots with his writing style hah
What about christmas movies? You guys have any favorites? Mine are in order from least to most: Elf, National Lampoons Christmas Vacation and Bad Santa.

A Christmas Carol. Almost any version, the older the better.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(12-18-2015, 02:42 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: What about christmas movies? You guys have any favorites? Mine are in order from least to most: Elf, National Lampoons Christmas Vacation and Bad Santa.

I'm not big on holiday movies, but I love The Ref.

It's hilariously smart-assed and dysfunctional.

Plus, I really like both Kevin Spacey and Dennis Leary.
A Christmas Story is one of my faves. And as sappy as it is Its a Wonderful Life usually catches me. And who can forget the best Xmas movie ever, DieHard? Yippie Kiyaae, motherfucker.
This morning I read that Star Wars - The Force Awakens raked in over $55 million USD on opening day, the highest opening day gross in history.