Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
NO DEAL Rangel you bum!
HA! Fuck you! 86

Washington (CNN) -- The House ethics committee on Thursday accused veteran Rep. Charles Rangel of 13 violations of House rules involving alleged financial wrongdoing and harming the credibility of Congress.

"Credibility is what's at stake here; the very credibility of the House itself before the American people," said Rep. Mike McCaul, the ranking Republican on a subcommittee that will hold a trial-like hearing on the charges against Rangel.

McCaul spoke at the subcommittee's first meeting, which heard the charges against Rangel, a 20-term Democrat from New York running for re-election this year. Rangel was not required to attend and did not show up.

According to committee documents, Rangel earlier filed a motion to dismiss the allegations against him that was denied.

Rangel said this week that his lawyers were in talks with committee lawyers on a possible deal to avoid the public hearing on his alleged violations. When Thursday's hearing was delayed for 55 minutes with no explanation, rumors of an imminent agreement quickly spread.

However, the panel gathered and held the hearing, which included the first public announcement of the specific committee charges against Rangel. It remained unclear whether a settlement avoiding the spectacle of a trial hearing was possible.

According to the charges, Rangel allegedly failed to report more than $600,000 on financial disclosure reports and improperly solicited funds for the construction of a center bearing his name at the City College of New York.

U.S. House Committee on Ways and Means
The committee also alleged that Rangel improperly used a rent-subsidized apartment as a campaign office for over a decade and failed to pay taxes on a home in the Dominican Republic.

Rangel "argues that errors on his personal taxes do not implicate discharge of his official responsibilities," committee investigators concluded in response to Rangel's request to have the charges dismissed. He "appears to be operating under the erroneous belief that the only conduct subject to discipline is conduct directly related to the discharge of his official responsibilities."

An investigative subcommittee report on Rangel's dealings, available on the committee's Web site, detailed a lengthy series of meetings the congressman held with business leaders to raise funds for the Charles B. Rangel Center for Public Policy at the City College. His repeated attempts to woo potential donors violated the House's solicitation and gift ban, the report said.

Among other things, the report stated that Rangel met with a lobbyist for insurance giant AIG in April 2008 with the objective to "close" a $10 million "gift for the Rangel Center."

At the meeting, "AIG raised concerns about a potential donation, including the potential headline risk," the report stated. But Rangel pushed ahead, asking "AIG, at least twice, what was necessary to get this done."

During the period of time that Rangel was seeking donations from AIG, according to committee investigators, the company was lobbying the House on several tax and trade issues -- matters over which Rangel exercised considerable influence.

The congressman's "acceptance of favors and benefits from donors to the Rangel Center ... might be construed by reasonable persons as influencing the performance of his governmental duties," the report concluded.

It stated that the "accumulation of (Rangel's) actions reflected poorly on the institution of the House and, thereby, brought discredit to the House."

McCaul said the allegations against Rangel, if proven, would violate "the most fundamental code of conduct" for House members.

Rep. Gene Green of Texas, a Democrat who led a two-year ethics subcommittee investigation of Rangel, said it was a difficult job.

"The task is even more difficult when the subject has befriended and mentored so many new members, and I'm one of them," Green said.

Another ethics committee member, Republican Rep. Jo Bonner of Alabama, said "this is truly a sad day where no one, regardless of their partisan stripes, should rejoice."

Rangel temporarily stepped down as Ways and Means Committee chairman earlier this year following the announcement of an ethics investigation of several allegations, including failure to pay taxes on the Dominican Republic residence.

The House ethics committee previously admonished Rangel for violating rules on receiving gifts. Specifically, the committee found that Rangel violated House gift rules by accepting reimbursement payments for travel to conferences in the Caribbean in 2007 and 2008.

Rangel, whose autobiography that discusses his Korean War experience is titled "And I Haven't Had a Bad Day Since," told reporters earlier Thursday that "I have to reassess that (statement)" in light of the pending hearing.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Thursday -- in response to a question about Rangel -- that there must be "accountability" and "transparency" in cases of ethical transgressions.

"Holding a high ethical standard is a serious responsibility ... and a top priority" for the House Democratic leadership, she said. In terms of political fallout from cases such as Rangel's, "the chips will fall where they may," she said.

Congressional Democrats have reportedly expressed concern that an extended public airing of the charges against Rangel could damage the party's prospects in the November midterm elections.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

what the fuck. he's 80 years old and just another garden-variety hack. not to mention he knows where all the bodies are buried.

FOX news.
The investigative panel of bipartisan lawmakers looking at alleged violations of House rules by New York Rep. Charlie Rangel recommended a "reprimand" for the longtime lawmaker, Rep. Gene Green, D-Texas, a member of the panel, said Friday.

A reprimand is the most lenient of the three, formal modes of discipline in the House. The other two are censure and expulsion.

A Congressional Research Service report indicates that "reprimand expressly involves a lesser level of disapproval of a Member than that of Censure, and is thus a less severe reubuke by the institution."

Under a reprimand, a lawmaker must stand in the well of the House and be reprimanded by the speaker.

a spanking. :'(

Rangel is facing 13 allegations of violations relating to his tax filings for properties he owns in the Dominican Republic and the use of four rent-controlled apartments in pricey New York City.

If there is no settlement, the case goes to another ethics committee panel that will likely hold a public "trial" in September against the 20-term lawmaker.

I think they are all the same. Some just don't get caught & when it comes time to punish the ones that do, they all say to themselves, "there but for the grace of God go I" and nothing but a slap on the wrist is given.
Mass. is notorious for being a hackerama of crooked pols.
most recent, our senator john kerry, who bought a 7 MILLION dollar 75-foot sailboat made in NZ, NOT in the US by US shipbuilders, and berthed it in R.I. to avoid paying Mass. taxes of .5 million bucks. he was called out relentlessly all the past week, until he finally paid the damn money, had to get the wife's checkbook out i am sure.

edit to add in Nov....he has NOT paid it yet!

stick a fork in him, he's obviously done...
Fug duh kund
another goddamn hack.

WASHINGTON -- A House panel announced Monday that Rep. Maxine Waters has been charged with violating ethics rules, setting the stage for a second election-season trial for a longtime Democratic lawmaker and adding to the party's political woes.

The charges against Waters, a 10-term California congresswoman, focus on whether she broke the rules in requesting federal help for a bank where her husband was a board member and owned stock. She immediately denied the charges.

(07-31-2010, 07:20 AM)Duchess Wrote:

I think they are all the same. Some just don't get caught & when it comes time to punish the ones that do, they all say to themselves, "there but for the grace of God go I" and nothing but a slap on the wrist is given.

If you'll notice the one's who get caught supported Hillary in 2008.

They've all got there hands in the cookie jar and all they have to do is look up the arm and at the face.
Washington (CNN) -- The House panel looking into ethics accusations against a key Democratic representative stopped deliberations for the day late Monday afternoon and will return to its executive session deliberations Tuesday morning.

Embattled Rep. Charlie Rangel, D-New York, walked out of the House ethics subcommittee trial on Monday, complaining he has not had sufficient time to hire a new legal team to respond to corruption allegations.

The subcommittee rejected Rangel's request to delay the hearing until a new defense team is assembled.

Rangel faces 13 allegations, include failing to pay taxes on a home in the Dominican Republic, misuse of a rent-controlled apartment for political purposes and improper use of government mail service and letterhead.

"Fifty years of public service is on the line. And I truly believe that I am not being treated fairly," he declared. "I deserve a lawyer." 1134

Rangel told the subcommittee members he has already spent $2 million defending himself from the charges, and had been advised the trial could cost him another $1 million.

He complained that he was not being given enough time to raise funds to hire new lawyers because the committee was rushing to complete its work before the conclusion of the current lame-duck Congress.

Rangel's original defense team left him in September. Smiley_emoticons_biggrin

"What theory of fairness would dictate that I be denied due process ... because it is going to be the end of this session?" he asked.

He later released a statement calling the committee's decision to proceed without delay a violation of "the most basic rights ... guaranteed to every person under the Constitution."

"The [ethics committee] has deprived me of the fundamental right to counsel and has chosen to proceed as if it is fair and impartial and operating according to rules, when in reality they are depriving me of my rights," he said.

Ethics committee chair Rep. Zoe Lofgren, D-California, replied that it was Rangel's responsibility to assemble his legal team. She also noted that Rangel had received advice numerous times from the committee on how to raise funds for his defense.

"Retention of counsel is up to the respondent," she said.

Several subcommittee members, however, also blasted Zuckerman Spaeder, the law firm originally representing Rangel.

It is "fundamentally unfair" for lawyers to abandon a client on the eve of a trial, said North Carolina Democratic Rep. G.K. Butterfield, a former trial judge. "That would not have happened in my courtroom." We need to "make sure that this firm explains its conduct to the committee."

Rep. Peter Welch, D-Vermont, expressed his "astonishment at Zuckerman Spaeder for taking the money ... and then kicking their client to the side of the road when it came time for the actual hearing."

In a statement issued in response to the criticism, a spokeswoman for the firm said it "did not seek to terminate the relationship [with Rangel] and explored every alternative to remain as his counsel consistent with House ethics rules prohibiting members from accepting pro bono legal services."

haha he wanted them for free.

Here is some information on Mr. Rangel's recent financial status. http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/s...=N00000964

Washington (CNN) -- A House ethics subcommittee found longtime Democratic Rep. Charlie Rangel guilty Tuesday on multiple violations of House rules.

The subcommittee, according to California Democratic Rep. Zoe Lofgren, the ethics committee chairwoman, found "clear and convincing" evidence of guilt on 11 of 12 counts, including failing to pay taxes on a home in the Dominican Republic, misuse of a rent-controlled apartment for political purposes and improper use of government mail service and letterhead.

The veteran New York congressman was cleared of a charge relating to an alleged violation of the House gift ban.

Rangel had been facing 13 charges; the committee combined two of them.

The full ethics committee -- known as the Committee on Standards of Official Conduct -- will now recommend a punishment for Rangel to the House of Representatives. The penalty can can range from a fine to expulsion. Most observers believe Rangel is likely to be reprimanded but not expelled.

NY POST editorial:

To just about everyone's surprise, the House Ethics Committee last night voted overwhelmingly to recommend that Rep. Charles Rangel be formally censured by the House of Representatives -- the most serious sanction short of outright expulsion.

The committee's judgment was not only severe, it was genuinely bipartisan: Only one member of the 10-member panel, evenly divided between Democrats and Republicans, dissented.

Make no mistake.

This was not the widely expected wrist-slap.

If the House goes along with the recommendation, Rangel will be required to stand silently before all 434 members while his transgressions are spelled out and he is formally rebuked by the House speaker.

Imagine the humiliation he will feel. NO HE WON"T.

Deservedly so.

The outcome represents what the committee chairwoman, Rep. Zoe Lofgren, demanded: "accountability for [Rangel] and credibility for the House itself."

Specifically, Rangel was found guilty by his peers on 11 counts of ethical transgressions.

To be sure, outright expulsion was unlikely; that penalty has only been imposed five times in the House's history.

But Rangel could have spared himself this embarrassment -- either by stepping down or by abandoning his latest re-election bid, which he won handily.

By yesterday, all he could do was plead, pitifully, for mercy -- while continuing to blame the committee and especially the "totally unfair" press (most of his misdeeds were exposed by The Post) for his troubles.

Typical Charlie Rangel -- whining to the end.

It was left for Rep. Jo Bonner to deliver a more spot-on judgment.

"Mr. Rangel can no longer blame anyone other than himself for the position he now finds himself in," said the Alabama Republican. "Not this committee, not his staff or family, not his accountants or lawyers and not the press."

Rangel has rarely done the right thing -- since, that is, leaving the Army after creditable combat service in Korea.

He can do the right thing now.

He can spare himself further humiliation, and the House additional agony, with a simple letter of resignation.

Pity it had to end this way.

But it's over.

Not a one of them will learn from this, they will take & take and hope they won't be caught. I don't trust any of them, I don't think any of them have our best interests at heart. I hate being so cynical, I'd rather believe in the people we send there. Smiley_emoticons_slash
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
AMEN! They are all corrupt!